Time to rebuild the rebuild?

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If (and big if) the Sox signed Ryu and say Walker or Wood...they're very much in the mix to win 82-88 games, which very well could be enough to win this division.  No way the Twins repeat their miracle 2020 season, the Indians are likely to tear it apart, and the Tigers and Royals are two of the worst teams in baseball.

We all knew 2020 was probably a pipedream to be a WS contender, so not sure why the last 10 days changed that, unless your opinion of the Grandal signing was that the Sox were going to follow that up by completely emptying the clip at the WM.  Which was also a pipedream.  But I will never convince you to view anything White Sox related in anything other than a pessimistic lens, so I don't know why I bother responding.   

Why should signing Ryu and Walker/Wood even be a “big if”?!?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

It's fucking December 13th.  My god, some of you people are miserable.

I’ve given this organization the benefit of the doubt for a long time. I’d like to think I am one of the more optimistic posters on this site. But it’s ridiculous. This team has a gaping hole in the pitching department and has done absolutely nothing to address it this offseason. Why are they not signing ANY of the top free agent options? We went from debating about whether guys like Cole, Strasburg or Wheeler are “worth the money” to justifying settling for scrap heaps like Alex Wood and Wade Miley again. What gives? How did we get here?

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’ve given this organization the benefit of the doubt for a long time. I’d like to think I am one of the more optimistic posters on this site. But it’s ridiculous. This team has a gaping hole in the pitching department and has done absolutely nothing to address it this offseason. Why are they not signing ANY of the top free agent options? We went from debating about whether guys like Cole, Strasburg or Wheeler are “worth the money” to justifying settling for scrap heaps like Alex Wood and Wade Miley again. What gives? How did we get here?

You basically just declared the rebuild dead and suggested they should start all over and trade their elite talent they acquired.

I'm not sure I would classify you as "one of the more optimistic posters." In fact, you're less optimistic about this rebuild than Moan4Yoan which is really tough to do.

14 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And you may find yourself
Living in a shotgun shack
In another part of the world
Behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house
With a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself, well
How did I get here?

Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
Into the blue again after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful house!
This is not my beautiful wife !

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’ve given this organization the benefit of the doubt for a long time. I’d like to think I am one of the more optimistic posters on this site. But it’s ridiculous. This team has a gaping hole in the pitching department and has done absolutely nothing to address it this offseason. Why are they not signing ANY of the top free agent options? We went from debating about whether guys like Cole, Strasbourg or Wheeler are “worth the money” to justifying settling for scrap heaps like Alex Wood and Wade Miley again. What gives? How did we get here?

This is no doubt true.  I remember arguing about last year’s offseason with you.  😉

9 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Both have had one good year.... Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

If your argument is "Moncada and Giolito aren't really that good", then you're telling me that we really don't have any hope of playoff appearances any time soon. Even I won't go that far.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Again, it's December 13th.  Trade for David Price and then sign a 1 year guy.  Not that hard.  Let's see if they can make it happen.

• Haha 1

Just now, GGajewski18 said:

Again, it's December 13th.  Trade for David Price and then sign a 1 year guy.  Not that hard.  Let's see if they can make it happen.

Easier said than done, otherwise Price would be with a new team by now.  Signing a one year guy should be easy though, if Hahn shows any interest in doing so anytime soon.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Living in a shotgun shack
In another part of the world
Behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house
With a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself, well
How did I get here?

Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
Into the blue again after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
This is not my beautiful house!
This is not my beautiful wife!

Same as it ever was.

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Easier said than done, otherwise Price would be with a new team by now.  Signing a one year guy should be easy though, if Hahn shows any interest in doing so anytime soon.

The more I think about it, I'm not sure if I even want an aging David Price on the Sox. 

We would be stuck with three seasons of him at a likely substantial cost, why make that our problem? There are bargain bin players available that are younger and cheaper that could give us similar production.

5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

The more I think about it, I'm not sure if I even want an aging David Price on the Sox. 

We would be stuck with three seasons of him at a likely substantial cost, why make that our problem? There are bargain bin players available that are younger and cheaper that could give us similar production.

To grab a player we otherwise have no chance of getting for just the price of taking on much of Price's contract.

57 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

That's what I've been arguing all along. Their problem and looking for suckers to bail them out at their price because OH no pitching is so expensive. Fuck Boston.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s highly unlikely the WS are a legitimate contender in 2020 based on how this offseason has transpired. It’s also become apparent that the timelines of the first wave of prospects, specifically Moncada and Giolito, do not align particularly well with the next wave of prospects and long term pieces like Eloy and Timmy, especially if 2020 is another lost season.

I’m sure the fans would crucify them for this so they won’t do it BUT I’d strongly consider trading Moncada and Giolito right now while they are at peak value. If someone like Lindor can potentially fetch May and Lux from the Dodgers, what would a guy like Moncada return in his final season of pre-arb? The demand for 3b around the league is huge right now (partly why the Rockies said they would listen on Arenado). Same with Giolito (goes without saying that demand for high end starting pitcher is through the roof). Why not target high end, MLB ready prospects for those two so that they better align with the forthcoming promotions of Lubo, Madrigal, and Vaughn?

Prospects I would target in trades:

May, Lux, Gray (Dodgers)

Adell, Marsh (Angels)

Gore, Patino, Baez (Padres)

Pache, Wright, Waters (Braves)

I appreciate the irony of your handle and the post made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You basically just declared the rebuild dead and suggested they should start all over and trade their elite talent they acquired.

I'm not sure I would classify you as "one of the more optimistic posters." In fact, you're less optimistic about this rebuild than Moan4Yoan which is really tough to do.

Trading Moncada and Giolito does not mean the rebuild is dead. Perhaps the better term is “retool.” Call it what you will but if the team is unwilling to pay for premium free agents to address an area of glaring need (pitching!!!), then they need to build more depth through trades of their greatest assets.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Trading Moncada and Giolito does not mean the rebuild is dead. Perhaps the better term is “retool.” Call it what you will but if the team is unwilling to pay for premium free agents to address an area of glaring need (pitching!!!), then they need to build more depth through trades of their greatest assets.

If the team is unwilling/unable to pay premium free agents then they should trade the ones they were lucky enough to find in the trade market... it's an interesting concept to say the least.