I agree with the Big Hurt about Robert

jaws7575

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Rick's harshest words are that "an off day is being considered" after what he's watched Robert do recently.

What an unrepentant weenie. No faith in RR. He's on "fool me 43 times" at this point and still saying "shame on you".

Please tell me what he was supposed to say to the media?

"Yeah the rookie phenom we signed for 88mil sucks ass right now. No really. Kid couldn't hit off a tee. What a loser!" 

Some of y'all really don't understand how teams talk to the press.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Please tell me what he was supposed to say to the media?

"Yeah the rookie phenom we signed for 88mil sucks ass right now. No really. Kid couldn't hit off a tee. What a loser!" 

Some of y'all really don't understand how teams talk to the press.

Then you say nothing and just sit his ass on the bench for a game or two.  Then if asked, just say it was a rest day for him.  Either just do it behind the scenes and not talk about it like that, or just fucking tell it how it is and move on.

• Thanks 2

Do coaches work with players anymore? The slumping hitters have been on a downturn for awhile now, and every at bat is the same thing. Robert specifically seems to have made no adjustments. Swing for the fences, head flying out, no discipline, etc...  Sure, they do have a hitting coach, but it sure seems like nothing has changed. Do they look at film and compare the hot streaks with the slumps, and see where the flaw might be? Every night of late seems, to be the same old thing. This group swings and misses at more bad pitches than any I have seen this year, and takes more good ones down the middle than most.

And I get that the slumps can be very wearing, but the body language of Robert right now is awful.

14 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Rick's harshest words are that "an off day is being considered" after what he's watched Robert do recently.

What an unrepentant weenie. No faith in RR. He's on "fool me 43 times" at this point and still saying "shame on you".

Why in the world would he publicly shit on a player like this?  It isn't like he is playing lazy or halfassing it out there, the kid is in the first slump of his career at the major league level.  He wants to show confidence in the kid.  RR knows he needs him in like a week for the playoffs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mokena94 said:

Do coaches work with players anymore? The slumping hitters have been on a downturn for awhile now, and every at bat is the same thing. Robert specifically seems to have made no adjustments. Swing for the fences, head flying out, no discipline, etc...  Sure, they do have a hitting coach, but it sure seems like nothing has changed. Do they look at film and compare the hot streaks with the slumps, and see where the flaw might be? Every night of late seems, to be the same old thing. This group swings and misses at more bad pitches than any I have seen this year, and takes more good ones down the middle than most.

And I get that the slumps can be very wearing, but the body language of Robert right now is awful.

The coaching staff talked about this last week.

Tell robert to be aggressive and on time with the fastball. Long term he should work on his plate discipline but you are not fixing this right now.

Currently he tries to be patient and see the ball a little causing him to be in between the offspeed and the FB so he is often beat. He kinda tries to guess before pitch release whether it is a ball and strike leading to an only marginally lower if any chase rate but much lower zone swing rate.

Tell him it is ok if he is on the FB and then whiffs on the slider in the dirt because if he is in between he is helping nobody.

I rather have him hit a few fastballs 500 feet mixed with some embarrassing Ks on 3 consecutive sliders than him trying to be pseudo patient but in between pitch speeds so he doesn't really hit any pitch.

Sure pitchers will adjust to that and he will strike out a lot but he just cant go looking on fastballs down the pipe because he tries to cover both speeds.

Edited by Dominikk85

1 minute ago, Tomtom said:

I don't understand why Renteria doesn't have him try a few bunts to reach base.  He has outstanding speed and maybe a couple of bunt singles will get him out of his slump.

I would guess that Robert has never really been asked to bunt before, nor would it be something he's ever worked on extensively with his speed & power combo.