2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

bmags

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Coby isn't a point guard. I still think he can be a bigger Ben Gordon. I never understood the Wendell Carter love anyone had. I know he was very young when drafted and obviously still is, he just seems like he is what he is to me.

You are right on Coby - 100% right. But Ben Gordon was a highly flawed player - you can't use too much of your payroll on a guy like him. He's a great guy to add when you have a bunch of stars as a bench player - but you don't build a team around Lou Williams/Ben Gordon.  

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't really like this at all. I don't like paying premiums for B level players, there better be some really good protections for the 1st round picks especially this year. 

Now, I am not a basketball expert, and a lot of people dislike the way orlando has used players. But Vucevic is a good player, but now we don't have 2 1st round picks should there ever be a great player. We don't have a 1st to potentially draft a great player this year. We have Zach LAvine and Vucevic...so we may be the orlando magic.

If they were able to keep this as a top 15 pick, that is easier to take. But also , f***g  tank this year to not get top 8.

Vucevic while 30, is a top 20 player in the NBA this year.  He is signed for 2 more years I believe?  If they can get a real PG along with this it is for more than just this year, this is a 2 year type plan.  Hopefully the '23 1st round pick isn't that good....that means the trade worked.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

If they get Ball, they may not have a 1st rounder for 2021-2022-2023

I suppose it's possible they get one back for Young if they trade him. And I still think there could be a straight up Markkanen for Ball swap. Markkanen makes sense there.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

They can't give up that many 1st rounders in a row.  Seems like Magic trade is the 21 and 23 picks. Would be curious if the 23 has higher protections on it.  I'm more worried about that pick than the top 4 protected pick this year.  You never know where you are 2, 3, 4 years down the road.  

I would have preferred this with 1 FRP.  Signed next 2 years at a fair deal - so you can always move him if you want another better player. That said - I like this deal for the Magic too.  

Just now, BFirebird said:

Vucevic while 30, is a top 20 player in the NBA this year.  He is signed for 2 more years I believe?  If they can get a real PG along with this it is for more than just this year, this is a 2 year type plan.  Hopefully the '23 1st round pick isn't that good....that means the trade worked.

actually I'd say best case scenario is it's incredibly good.

Just now, Tony said:

I kinda doubt Ball fetches a 1st. 

Not having a 1st sucks but man, if they get Ball??? Ball-Lavine-PWill-Young-Vuc could be super sexy especially is White can turn it on as a 6th man. 

Just now, bmags said:

I suppose it's possible they get one back for Young if they trade him. And I still think there could be a straight up Markkanen for Ball swap. Markkanen makes sense there.

I wonder if they want to see Vuc and Mark next to each other with Lavine, Williams and a PG.  The spacing with both of those bigs would be good - the defense.....uhh...what defense?  

1 minute ago, BFirebird said:

If there are trade protections.  But that means the Bulls are bottom feeders again.  Unless I am not following.

The lottery is now much more favorable to everyone in it. If bulls are out of the top 8 in the east they still have odds to get top 4.

2 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I kinda doubt Ball fetches a 1st. 

Not having a 1st sucks but man, if they get Ball??? Ball-Lavine-PWill-Young-Vuc could be super sexy especially is White can turn it on as a 6th man. 

I doubt they trade a FRP pick for Ball.  I would expect Lauri or Thaddeus or what not.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I wonder if they want to see Vuc and Mark next to each other with Lavine, Williams and a PG.  The spacing with both of those bigs would be good - the defense.....uhh...what defense?  

Maybe, Markannen has gone back to just being a spectator though and I'm so annoyed/over that. I can't see us retaining him next year, but I could see us totally with Ball. So would rather get those signing protections.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

You are right on Coby - 100% right. But Ben Gordon was a highly flawed player - you can't use too much of your payroll on a guy like him. He's a great guy to add when you have a bunch of stars as a bench player - but you don't build a team around Lou Williams/Ben Gordon.  

I will not stand for this Ben Gordon slander.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Maybe, Markannen has gone back to just being a spectator though and I'm so annoyed/over that. I can't see us retaining him next year, but I could see us totally with Ball. So would rather get those signing protections.

You are probably right. 

I really don't have any expectation for how this will all fit on the court, am excited to listen to the basketball podcasts on what people expect.

I do 100% believe this should keep the bulls in the top 10 of the east, esp. with it seeming like Pacers may start selling. The raptors are really the only concern and they seem like a mess right now.

The hawks/heat made their moves, so not much behind bulls that seem like they could scream past em.

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Like others have weighed in, the Stepien Rule prevents trading picks in back-to-back years. So we're safe there. Pick swaps is another story.

Bulls can't sign Lonzo outright anymore - after this trade - so it kind of pushes the need for a move.  Bulls reportedly also in on Gary Trent Jr too.  I suspect we are about to see 1 more deal go down.  

Clippers also trying to get Ball - but Bulls likely have better offer.  

4 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

This trade has to signal the end of Markannen, no?  It would be a bad idea to have him and Vuc on the floor together I am guessing.

i just can't see paying him a ton of money. When he's healthy, he's a really nice player, but I don't think a winning one.

• bmags locked this topic