Sox offer Guardado contract...

RudyLawRules

One huge problem, if our only two good relievers are both lefty. Seeing how Wright and Koch seem to be our righties. If we trade Koch, we are overloaded in lefties. I would rather have signed Hasegawa (who is gone now). I would be very, very happy to see Eddy come here, but it is just a start for our pen.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One huge problem, if our only two good relievers are both lefty. Seeing how Wright and Koch seem to be our righties. If we trade Koch, we are overloaded in lefties. I would rather have signed Hasegawa (who is gone now). I would be very, very happy to see Eddy come here, but it is just a start for our pen.

This is a great start, and it makes Minnesota a little angry. :lol:

This is a great start, and it makes Minnesota a little angry. :lol:

Marte blew (no pun intended) when it came to saves, he went 11/18 in saves compared to Guardado's 41 saves and I think 5 blown saves.  He is more durable than Marte and has been a closer and done the job consistency.  Also, Sullivan won't becoming back to the Sox since he wasn't offered arbitration unless he waits until May 1st, ain't gonna happen.  With Guardado and Marte, the two best lefty relievers in the AL, then add Wunsch,w ho gets the job done, we are lefty set.

Using saves to blowns saves stats to compare a middle reliever and a closer are 100% useless. They show nothing. Damaso Marte is a better pitcher plain and simple. Not taking anything away from Guardado though, he somehow usually gets the job done.

This acquisition only makes sense if we traded Koch, so right now it is just a rumour.

Using saves to blowns saves stats to compare a middle reliever and a closer are 100% useless.  They show nothing.  Damaso Marte is a better pitcher plain and simple.  Not taking anything away from Guardado though, he somehow usually gets the job done.

This acquisition only makes sense if we traded Koch, so right now it is just a rumour.

Good I'm glad I've got someone else who see's this my way...

I think people here are just over-anxious to say we got a deal done.. or that we signed a new big free-agent... Let's make it the right deal/signing and not get stuck with another Koch...

Guest williestokes

I like this. Then again, I liked it last year when we got Koch. If Eddie comes to the Southside and pitches like he has in the past two years, Ill be fine. However, if he pitches like he did earlier in his career (4.50 ERA in '99), Im gonna be pissed...

Guest williestokes
After thinking about this a little more... couldn't $5 mil a year have gotten both Sullivan and Gordon?  Why wouldn't we do that?

Well, since Gordon and Sully are both righties, that would have evened out the pen. Can you imagine Marte, Guardado, Gordon and Sullivan leading the BP? It would easily be one of the best in the league, given they perform. Unfortunately Sullivan and Gordon are both good as gone. I cant think of any possible replacements off the top of my head. Could we get Perez and move him into the pen perhaps?

Let's jsut hope this offer is just a rumor... I can't fathom any situation where it is a good signing.

I don't know how you can say that, look what the sox have in their bullpen right now, marte, and thats about it, this bullpen needs to be improved and this would do it in a big way.

The Sox must trade Koch, in order to sign Guardado, I am not sure Guardado would come knowing Koch is on the roster. That's one of the reasons I don't think Koch did well, he wasn't set in stone the closer. He had Gordon right behind him. Hopefully, Ozzie will give define roles to the guys in the pen.

Well, since Gordon and Sully are both righties, that would have evened out the pen. Can you imagine Marte, Guardado, Gordon and Sullivan leading the BP? It would easily be one of the best in the league, given they perform. Unfortunately Sullivan and Gordon are both good as gone. I cant think of any possible replacements off the top of my head. Could we get Perez and move him into the pen perhaps?

No, that would too expensive of a pen.

I don't know how you can say that, look what the sox have in their bullpen right now, marte, and thats about it, this bullpen needs to be improved and this would do it in a big way.

How can I say that -- We need a proven right hander

--Marte can Close

--Koch Who knows??? maybe he'll step up.. I doubt it -- his numbers were never great..

The Price tag is what's really got me on this one...Why pay that much for someone that really doesn't fill your #1 need

Gordon-- who proved last year he was just as good as Eddie -- got less money

Sully --who I think we could have had for less than last year--is gone too

Which would you rather have???

Eddie @ $5Mill a year or Gordon AND Sully @ $6 MIL a year...

I see this not as adding a player, I see the limited funds we do have escaping on a guy we don't really need.

If we pay eddie then that means we won't be in the hunt for a big time free agent starter. It means we will go with mediorce starters and rely on the bullpen. Back that up with suspect defense and we are in for along year. The only good thing about this is we would take away a twin.

I'm as impatient as the rest of you waiting for something to happen of a positive nature ... but let's relax here a bit, it's Dec. 8th, the winter meetings haven't happened yet and spring training doesn't start for 2 1/2 months.

Lots of time for things to happen. The marketplace is different than in years past, lots of guys will be available with a lower price tag. Look at all the guys that got cut loose just today.

Yes, i agree 100%.

As a season ticket holder, I'd much rather have the proven commodity, especially coming off a season when the 5th starter spot was so troublesome.

I wouldn't mind having a young guy (or two or three) waiting in the wings in Charlotte in the event one of the top five got hurt or needed to miss a few starts.

But I'm uncomfortable with counting on an unproven guy to be in the rotation, especially since they've said they plan to contend.

I thought Colon underachieved a bit last year, but also felt he was as good an option as any to anchor the rotation. Buehrle, to me, is a good #2 or even #3 guy. Loaiza looks like he figured things out last year but to count on him for 20 wins again is pushing the envelope. Garland ... I don't know what to think about him. He just can't seem to put it together. Seems like the talent is there, but the mental makeup might not be.

The bullpen is key, right now it's a shambles, but so are 25 or so other teams bullpen. I've got no faith in Koch, I absolutely detest guys who perform a tightwire act every time they're closing a game.

They might try Dan Wright in a set up role and groom him for a closer spot. He's got good stuff, it's just a question of refining his command. If he pitches frequently, he's got a better chance of maintaining his arm slot.

Where I'd like to see a veteran brought in is for the long relief role. A rubber arm guy who could even pitch in for a spot start here and there. A Sean Lowe type. Good news is, there should be lots of those kind of guys on the market.

Danny Wright is gonna be a good reliever. He's got great stuff. I don't think I like giving Guardado 5 mill a year. I'd rather see the Sox snag Arthur Rhodes and a righty reliever for about 5 mill a year between the two of them and then see them unload Koch for Weathers.

I just don't see how this deal works unless Koch is dumb. You can't have 12 mill invested in 2 relievers if your crying "poor".