White Sox @ Tribe Game Thread (4/14, 6:05 p.m. CT)

Jabroni

El Duque @ Scott Elarton

133340.jpg @ 134003.jpg

El Duque vs. Indians (2004 stats)          Scott Elarton vs. White Sox (2004 stats)
2 starts                                   3 starts
1-0 record                                 1-0 record
2.08 ERA                                   2.30 ERA
1.08 WHIP                                  0.96 WHIP
.174 BAA                                   .154 BAA
13 IP                                      15.2 IP
8 H                                        8 H
3 R                                        5 R
3 ER                                       4 ER
0 HR                                       0 HR
6 BB                                       7 BB
9 K                                        13 K

Get your brooms out!!!

sweepcleveland5bv.jpg

Edited by Jabroni

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy s***, Elarton has those numbers against us in three starts?  That is pathetic and needs to be changed.

Agreed. He was one of those scrub pitchers that we had trouble hitting last season because he throws slow stuff. Elarton is a huge dude at 6'8", 240 pounds but he only throws 88-92 mph with his fastball. His changeup is what our hitters had trouble with last season. Hopefully, that will change tomorrow.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)
Holy s***, Elarton has those numbers against us in three starts?  That is pathetic and needs to be changed.

He was cy f***ing young last year. It was amazing. The first time i figured eh, he got lucky, second and third time i thought this is ridiculous and no reason for it. He should have been rocked two to times at the very least.

YASNY posted this in another thread...

"Podsednik likely to sit until Friday

Strained groin healing, but Guillen says Sox 'want to make sure'"

CLEVELAND -- The White Sox may keep speedy Scott Podsednik out of the starting lineup until at least Friday because of a strained right groin.

Podsednik, who was hurt sliding into second base on a steal attempt in Monday's 2-1 comeback victory over the Indians, said Wednesday he felt much better. But trainer Herm Schneider, mindful that Podsednik's forte is speed, said the Sox and Podsednik would benefit if he is held out until he's close to full strength.

Extra innings

Guillen was leaning toward giving Ross Gload his first start of the season at first base in the series finale Thursday, with Paul Konerko serving as the designated hitter and Carl Everett starting in left field.

Crazy Carl is playing the outfield?!? :unsure: :lol:

Edited by Jabroni

Wouldn't that just be awesome if timo led off tomorrow?

I guess he's not playing. Ozzie is probably going with Carl in LF, Gload at 1B, and Paulie as our DH. Maybe Willie will get a start at 2nd base over Iguchi to get another lefty in the lineup against Elarton.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 02:41 AM)
Wouldn't that just be awesome if timo led off tomorrow?

I know Ozzie has been just plugging guys in the lineup in place of the regulars to keep everybody else in a comfort zone, with which I have no problem. However, I see this as an opportunity to help Rowand get out of his little funk. He's always hit well at leadoff or number 2. Plug him in either spot and let Iguchi handle the other one, move AJ and Crede up a spot and put Timo in at 8 ... or... Uribe at 8 and Ozuna at 9.

Edited by YASNY

I know Ozzie has been just plugging guys in the lineup in place of the regulars to keep everybody else in a comfort zone, with which I have no problem.  However, I see this as an opportunity to help Rowand get out of his little funk.  He's always hit well at leadoff or number 2.  Plug him in either spot and let Iguchi handle the other one, move AJ and Crede up a spot and put Timo in at 8 ... or... Uribe at 8 and Ozuna at 9.

The ultimate lefty lineup (without Pods):

2B Willie

SS Uribe

LF Everett

DH Konerko

1B Gload

CF Rowand

C Pierzynski

3B Crede

RF Timo

:ph34r:

Edited by Jabroni

"Deceptive Hernandez goes for Sox

White Sox (6-2) at Cleveland (3-5), 6:05 p.m. CT"

A.J. Pierzynski couldn't complain about his return back to Minnesota last weekend, not with his new team taking two of the three games played from his old team.

His most interesting challenge, aside from hitting against Johan Santana on Sunday night, appeared to be catching Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez in the series opener Friday. It's not that Pierzynski hadn't seen Hernandez prior to that particular contest, but when the regular season begins, El Duque turns it up a notch in comparison to Spring Training.

That switch means more change of speeds and more pitches from various arm angles to keep opposing hitters off stride. Whatever plan Hernandez and Pierzynski used, it clearly worked. The right-hander allowed only one run over seven innings, moving from 89 mph to 54 mph on the speed gun, featuring an offspeed pitch that Pierzynski isn't always sure how and when it will arrive.

"I put down a sign for a curve ball, and he throws it hard or slow," said Pierzynski with a laugh of Hernandez's mound style. "You hope that you guess right.

"It's fun. I call a pitch and I see him drop down, and I'm like 'Oh, no.' But he knows what he's doing. That's why he can still do it today. As long as his arm is healthy, he'll be OK."

The current Indians crew hasn't had much success in head-to-head battles against Hernandez, aside from Travis Hafner's two RBIs. Juan Gonzalez has four hits in 16 at-bats when facing Hernandez, including a home run, but Gonzalez is on the disabled list.

Jake Westbrook originally was scheduled to start Thursday, but Cleveland manager Eric Wedge decided to give him an extra day and move up Scott Elarton. The right-hander struggled mightily in 2004, but one of his best career efforts came against the White Sox. On Aug. 29, at Jacobs Field, Elarton beat the South Siders by a 9-0 margin. He allowed two hits and faced only two hitters over the minimum.

I love it. :lol:

Player to watch

Joe Crede has a modest four-game hitting streak entering Thursday's series finale. The third baseman has four hits in his last nine at-bats, including a key RBI-double Wednesday, after starting the season 2-for-18.

:lol: :ph34r:

Quick hits

The White Sox are now 4-0 in one-run games this year. ... Aaron Rowand snapped an 0-for-9 skid with a single in the fourth inning Wednesday. ... Carl Everett has hit safely in seven straight games. He is batting .407 with eight RBIs during that stretch. ... Dustin Hermanson earned his first American League save. He was a former standout at Kent State University in Ohio. ... Juan Uribe now has three hits and three RBIs for the 2005 season. ... The White Sox are 4-1 on this six-game road trip, and 6-2 against the American League Central.

:headbang

Judging by past pitching matchups, which I agree is never a good idea, then tonights game should be another 4-3, 3-2 type of game...

with that being said, it will probably be an offensive explosion for both teams :P

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
Winning intra-division road games is HUGE.  I don't care if it is only April.  Considering these wins are coming against the Twins and Indians make them that much bigger.

Especially as 22 of the sox first 28 games are vs AL Central teams. As long as the sox keep this type of play up when they play Det and KC [strong pitching, timely hitting, don't make mistakes to lose games] they'll be alright at home or on the road. Both KC and Det. will make more mistakes then Cle. or the Twins will.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
I think I would rather see Crazy Carl playing LF than have Gload in the outfield again....blahhhhh

You are right. There should be no reason to see Gload in the OF with the depth we have out there.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
You are right.  There should be no reason to see Gload in the OF with the depth we have out there.

that's right. His performance in the outfield could be kindly termed as "uncomfortable" and accurrately described as poor.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)
YASNY posted this in another thread...

"Podsednik likely to sit until Friday

Strained groin healing, but Guillen says Sox 'want to make sure'"

Crazy Carl is playing the outfield?!? :unsure:  :lol:

carl will be fine in theOF. hes a decent corner guy, he just doesnt have the speed to paly center, even though he played there alot for us in 03, still, now that he has shed some pounds, i would even put him as a slightly above average OFer

QUOTE(daa84 @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
carl will be fine in theOF. hes a decent corner guy, he just doesnt have the speed to paly center, even though he played there alot for us in 03, still, now that he has shed some pounds, i would even put him as a slightly above average OFer

He seemed fine and fairly comfortable in the OF during spring training. I'm sure he will be fine.

Maybe we'll win anotehr game by two or more runs by the All-Star break. I felt great about todays game but was given pause by Elarton's #'s against us. I thought he was a bum but he's been good agains tus. I'll tell you what Duque does for us that even Freddy doesn't and only Buehrle does" he makes you feel not that you have a chance to win today but that you WILL win today. It's a great feeling to have