Do you have a problem?

aboz56

Do you have a problem with Ozzie's mouth?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a problem with Ozzie's mouth?

• Yes, he is going too far
    • No, he speaks his mind and I love it

With all of the national discussion the past few days over Ozzie's comments, I figured it's time for a poll to ask whether or not Sox fans have a problem with his comments.

I for one have no problem with the Ordonez comments, simply because the guy deserved exactly what he got for opening his yap. THe Frank Thomas comments for some of you may have been another story.

Bottom line, do you have a problem with Ozzie's mouth?

Vote and discuss.

It beats sleepy Gene Lamont (who I liked) and Jerry "the genius" Manuel who I hold responsible for not being able to beat the worst team in baseball history or they would've been if we had not gone 9-7 against a team that lost 75% of their games, with what I thought was one of the best teams in baseball in 2003.

Ozzie is fine I wish he could tone it down a tad but oh well, the team seems to respond.

This is from Mariotti's column today and it had me laughing.

I recall a night in Baltimore when another reporter looked at me and said, "Someone is doing something vulgar to you.'' It was Guillen, totally naked, walking behind people and gyrating like a Chippendales dancer.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

:headbang :headbang :headbang

I voted no and definitly meant no, but in this last meltdown concerning Magglio, I think Ozzie might have gone a bit too far. I mean wouldn't just 2 or 3 bleeps get the message across.

Actually to be honest, on second thought, I laughed for about three straight minutes when I heard about the Magglio tirade on the radio yesterday morning. I love Ozzie, and if Mariotti has a problem with what Ozzie did/said, that means I'm all the more for it.

Edited by gettysburg32

While I do like fire in a manager, there's another thing called class. If you want to say Magglio deserved it, fine. But Guillen is going over the line. I don't care if he said Buerhle is been much better than Wood and Prior. That's fine, they have never played for the Sox. His hatchet job on Frank again was total BS. Talk about getting over something, how many times do we have to hear pitchers didn't like throwing to Olivo. Ozzie popping off about that again a year after the guy was traded, unprovoked, was total BS. Everybody knew he was talking about Lee when he made the comment about a guy going into 2B like his wife was turning the DP. He also said that is why the player isn't here right now. The fact is the media is now going to try and bait Ozzie into another diatribe. There are a lot of things Ozzie has said and done that the media has actually turned its collective head on. A major embarrassment for the organization is just waiting to happen. My advice to him would be at press conferences to talk about the game, and always protect your players. Try to keep your mouth shut about other things and remember he is representing the White Sox organization every time he's in front of a microphone.

Mariotti's column is s***, but anyways, I really like Ozzie's nature. I think most of the public does as well. How many people have you heard complain about politicall correctness? I hear it all the time, and Ozzie represents that sentiment which will make him a fan favorite.

I sometimes wonder if he's got an ulterior motive, like distracting the media away from the performance of his team and placing it squarely on himself, relieving his players of some of the intense media pressure that goes along with winning. Ozzie is a player's manager, he's going to do what's best for the team. f*** the media if they try to take the high and mighty road in their coverage, because deep down over 75% of the public, and the media, love what Ozzie is doing, bringing back an attitude that has been absent from baseball for too long.

I have a problem with it. But apparently Ozzie can do no wrong here. If there ever was any line that a manager shouldn't cross, then Ozzie's crossed it. But all I hear is that it gives the team a spark. So the Sox don't care enough about winning ballgames, they only get energized when junior high bigtalking is used? It's not motivational, it's infantile. Ozzie has no self control, hurray for him!

I'll preface this by saying that the important thing is what happens ON the field, not off it, and the Sox are off to a great start.

HOWEVER... there is no doubt that teams take on the personality of their managers/head coaches. Just look at the Yankee teams of the mid to late 90s under Torre. He always maintained an even keel and as a result that team never buckled under pressure and always found ways to win under tough situations. So should we be concerned that our manager can't keep his cool under even the most mild criticism? I am a little worried about how this team will react when the first crisis hits. If our manager totally flies off the handle at the littlest thing, what will this team do if another "Torii Hunter" incident happens? Will they totally lose their focus?

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
I couldn't give a damn what he says.

In fact when I woke up Friday and flicked on Comcast and saw all his bleeps I started laughing my balls off.

Even Mike Wilbon who is a devout Cubs fan said he wished he had Ozzie on the northside over the overrated Dusty Baker and him and Kornheiser laughed at all the bleeps. Lots of people would rather have Ozzie because of his attitude. He calls it the way he sees it.

This hissing contest with Magglio has been going on for months and months.

it's time both sides just shut up and played baseball.

I like Ozzie's aggressiveness and sass. But I wonder how it will play in the clubhouse long term, especially when the bad stretches come -- as they no doubt will.

EVERY player who leaves the Sox cannot be a bad guy.

I simply don't believe that.

One of the real tests of this season is going to come when Frank says he is ready to play again. He ain't gonna be happy getting occasional at bats. And if the team is still playing winning baseball, it's going to be hard to justify a significant change to the lineup. Can't use Frank at first. He's dreadful. So if he goes directly to full-time DH, Everett either loses at bats or goes into the outfield where it hurts our defense.

THAT is when we're going to see what kind of manager Guillen really is in the clubhouse.

This Magglio stuff won't matter long term. How he handles Frank's return is what counts.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
EVERY player who leaves the Sox cannot be a bad guy.

That's probably true, but every player that left the Sox last year either stunk or didn't play baseball Ozzie's way. I voted No. I had initially thought Ozzie might become a LaRussa type of manager, but somebody mentioned another good comparison: Lasorda. The dude was tough as nails and rough on his players, but he always got the most out of them. Maybe Ozzie won't make his players hate him as much, but I think he knows people and how to push their buttons to get the most out of them.

As I said in another thread, I love Ozzie's attitude. The White Sox have been too complacent for too long. Shades of Ghandi. There's nothing wrong with a little fire in the manager's office. If Ozzie's got a chip on his shoulder and won't take bulls*** from others, then maybe the team will play ball with same attitude. I think that's what Ozzie's trying to instill in this team.

He may embarrass the organization from time to time. This Maggs deal is not one of those times. Magglio f***in' asked for it.

I voted Yes. I love Ozzie's fire, and his passion for the White Sox is something that has been sorely missing from the team for many years. However, I think he has started to go a too far to the point where his comments about Maggs could be seen as threatening (thankfully, people don't seem to be taking it that way).

I'll ride the fence a little and say that if this is the price for having a manager with fire who protects his players (the Thomas comments were taken out of context as he also included B-le, Crede, Konerko, etc in those comments and his point was about a different attitude this year) and instills a true passion for the White Sox, I'll take it.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
I wanted Fisk as a manager for these reasons.  Someone who will come right out and say it whether it makes you, billy, buerhle, or harold reynolds uncomfortable.  That's old school.  That's what we needed.

Hey, I'm all for that.