Would you trade BMac

Cubs Suck23

QUOTE(quickman @ May 26, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
then after you claim the ring don't watch anymore until they are better. There that is really simple. i can hang my hat on a world series for years. Did the same with tthe Bears. Still watch them though even though they suck, now I am in fantasy football so I watch players.

I have to watch baseball is my favorite time of the year... I can watch the bears because its only 16 games a year and football is a fans sport.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask the Braves. None of their fans show up every year when they make the playoffs. You play to win it all. I have yet to see a trophy for just being "good". You get that nice trophy with flags on it for winning the game and being the best. If you don't strive for being the best or you rather have your team being a "good one" instead of a great one, you shouldn't be a player or fan.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 25, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
Im a little confused how one player can guarantee us a WS rings... maybe a healthy bonds, so we can trade B-Mac for Bonds if he recovers fully lol... but that still doesnt guarantee it, dumb thread  :chair

Geeze...It's a hypothetically question, nothing more.

I'd trade the whole farm for a WS ring...

ease up peoples. it's not a pointless thread. teams make these sorts of decisions any time they deal prospects for rental players.

this is just phrased in an extreme way.

obviously no one can guarantee us a championship, so dont bother pointing it out. The point is to find out whether you would chase the dynasty or just get one for sure.

I would love having Ichiro on the Sox.

I'd deal Dye, Anderson and McCarthy to get him.

He is the ONLY player that I would deal McCarthy for.

Just imagine Pods batting 9th, Ichiro 1st, Iguchi 2nd, Thomas 3rd...there would be MAJOR base movement and run production there.

First, let me just say that the question posed at the beginning of the thread is invalid, as NO player can guarantee a team a World Series. Now, my answer to the question that you're trying to ask here is I would NOT even consider trading McCarthy for a rental player. If the Sox were to get a young, franchise-type player with little to no injury history that they'd sign to a long term deal in return, then I'd probably do it.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ May 26, 2005 -> 01:11 AM)
First, let me just say that the question posed at the beginning of the thread is invalid, as NO player can guarantee a team a World Series. Now, my answer to the question that you're trying to ask here is I would NOT even consider trading McCarthy for a rental player. If the Sox were to get a young, franchise-type player with little to no injury history that they'd sign to a long term deal in return, then I'd probably do it.

:notworthy

Not sure if I wanted to start a new thread on this, or even sure if this is a pertinent issue in regards to contract status, but along the lines of trading talent...

Is this Garland's last year/option with the Sox? Do the Sox trade him for equal talent and/or prospects towards the deadline or do they risk signing him long term and hope he keeps up his development and maturity he has displayed this year?

QUOTE(kdhargo @ May 26, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
Not sure if I wanted to start a new thread on this, or even sure if this is a pertinent issue in regards to contract status, but along the lines of trading talent...

Is this Garland's last year/option with the Sox? Do the Sox trade him for equal talent and/or prospects towards the deadline or do they risk signing him long term and hope he keeps up his development and maturity he has displayed this year?

No we still control his rights for next season. Expect a long - term deal to get done.

Just imagine Pods batting 9th, Ichiro 1st, Iguchi 2nd, Thomas 3rd...there would be MAJOR base movement and run production there.

I don't see why the M's would ever trade Ichiro. He's a big reason why they have a good season ticket holder base. But if they were to peddle him to the WSox then I woul d make that deal if the M's allowed me to replace Anderson in the deal.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 25, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
Ask the Braves. None of their fans show up every year when they make the playoffs. You play to win it all. I have yet to see a trophy for just being "good". You get that nice trophy with flags on it for winning the game and being the best. If you don't strive for being the best or you rather have your team being a "good one" instead of a great one, you shouldn't be a player or fan.

Except of course...didn't the Braves win a W.S. back in the 90's? Yeah, I know it's only 1, but from our perspective, isn't 1 more than enough?

First, yeah I know, there's no player who can guarantee you a world series. So, just imagining that there was some way we could nearly guarantee ourselves a series, I still wouldn't trade McCarthy. Why? Because this kid looks so good that I think we'll have a better chance of being there and winning every year we have him than we would even if we traded him.

Even if we were trading McCarthy to suddenly make ourselves the best team in the world, the Yankees last year proved that even if you've got the greatest people at every position, you can suddenly become unlucky.

The best chance for this team is going to be to make the playoffs first, and then hope that our starting pitching and some of our bats get hot enough to carry us through the playoffs. That's what worked for Florida 2 years ago, Anaheim 3 years ago, Arizona 4 years, ago, etc.

Once you're in the playoffs, the question isn't always who has the best team, it becomes who has the dominant players who are the most dominant. You can win a world series without being the best team, if you have a couple parts that suddenly work properly.

McCarthy has a good shot to be 1 of those parts for years to come. What's the Billy Beane line? Give me 3 aces and I'll be a genius GM too? Right now, that's almost where we're sitting.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 26, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
No we still control his rights for next season. Expect a long - term deal to get done.

So Garland's 2000 season is not considered a serviceable season?

Edited by kdhargo

QUOTE(knightni @ May 25, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)

See, heres the thing. I would trade BMAC, realistically to get several players. I would trade him to get another ACE starter, like clemens. If it comes down to us needing to hold off the twins coming down in the stretch in September, I would easily trade anyone to get clemens or someone of that nature.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 26, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
See, heres the thing.  I would trade BMAC, realistically to get several players.  I would trade him to get another ACE starter, like clemens.  If it comes down to us needing to hold off the twins coming down in the stretch in September, I would easily trade anyone to get clemens or someone of that nature.

We need 2 bats, starters is the least of our problems.

Some of the replies are nothing but wishes and dreams. Certainly understandable - I have them myself - but a few points don't make much sense.

Saying "I'll take a WS even if it means 100 years in last place" sounds like a deal with the devil. If the Sox win the WS, whenever, they will likely be in a position to repeat the next year. Yes, the team has finished second far too often, but by doing so they have been in a position to win all of those years. I'd like to see the Sox take it all (though I'm not willing to pay the price some of you are), but barring a total team breakup like the Marlins, I see the Sox being very good for years to come. Kenny obviously knows what he's doing (thanks to Ozzie, IMO), and I'm not even going to try to second guess him.