Ozzie's most dubious managerial call yesterday?

Hideaway Lights

Which move was most suspect?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which move was most suspect?

• Using Timo to Pinch Hit for Frank
    • Letting Buehrle Start the 9th
    • Going to Marte instead of Hermanson
    • Leaving Marte in to face Quinlan
    • Using Everett to Pinch Hit for Gooch

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
What's your take?

Letting Buehrle stay in for the 9th was a good move. He should allow his stud pitcher go out there and try to complete his own game.

Frank was hurt with a hip flexor and we obviously won because of Timo. How can this move be questioned?

The move to Marte instead of Hermy was the right one. Ozzie said that Hermy told him he couldn't go yesterday after he was warming up. The matchups favored the Marte move since Hermy couldn't go. You can't blame the managerial move for this or Marte. He did his job and got the ground ball double play ball he needed. The normally sure handed Iguchi bobbled it. Things happen and you have to pick your teammates up, which the Sox did yesterday.

Leaving Marte in to face Quinlan could have been a bad move but I have just as much confidence in Marte as I do Politte in that situation.

To me using Everett instead of Iguchi was a strange move and the worst move. I just didn't understand it. Everett is a lefty but he has been in very bad slump and has looked awful up there. I also understand that Everett may have more experience and may have seen Shields more than Iguchi, but Iguchi has proven he can at least make contact when he needs to.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(knightni @ May 31, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
Everett should have PH for Thomas.

Hermy should have come in for Buehrle.

Iguchi should have batted for himself.

And I should have had a funnel cake yesterday. Skipping it was my worst decision.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 31, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
Why is the Hermanson decision even an option...? He told Ozzy he couldn't go in..

:headshake

Well there is another thread discussing whether this was the case or if Ozzie was misunderstood and was referring to Herm Schneider saying Frank couldn't go.

Have you talked to Dustin?

QUOTE(Steff @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Why is the Hermanson decision even an option...? He told Ozzy he couldn't go in..

:headshake

Some people are saying that Ozzie was talking about Herm Schneider when he referred to "Hermy". Supposedy Herm Schneider told Ozzie that Frank was too tight to go back in and hit. I have heard clips from Tom Schaer all morning that agree with what you are stating. I don't know what the situation is and who clarified it to mean Herm Schneider instead of Dustin Hermanson, but I would love to know.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Too bad this thread isn't an option.

I agree, there were some bad decisions yesterday, especially the bunt, but this board has gone overboard on the second guessing. Bottom line, the players need to perform when put in those situations. Ozzie doesnt control Marte's aim, or Gooch's glove. The players need to not give away that game.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
I agree, there were some bad decisions yesterday, especially the bunt, but this board has gone overboard on the second guessing.  Bottom line, the players need to perform when put in those situations.  Ozzie doesnt control Marte's aim, or Gooch's glove.  The players need to not give away that game.

It reminds me of a parody I made up from last year.

With no apoligies to our ex-musical genius or ABBA, I present to you the "Drama Queen" to the beat of "Dancing Queen"

You can cry, you can whine, it is the end of your life

See that troll, feel that doom, dig in it, the drama queen

Friday night and the lights are high

Looks like a two run lead is blown

Will they pitch the right guy? theres a swing and drive..

You come in to look for a save

Anybody could beat this team

Night is young and Ozzie's high

With a bit of yardwork, everything is dire

You’re in the mood for a post

And when you get the chance...

You are the drama queen, young and sweet, only fourteen

drama queen, feel the dread from the white sox team

You can cry, you can whine, it is the worst night of your life

See that troll, feel that doom, dig in it, the drama queen

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ May 31, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
Well there is another thread discussing whether this was the case or if Ozzie was misunderstood and was referring to Herm Schneider saying Frank couldn't go. 

Have you talked to Dustin?

According to Carmen and Silvy this morning, Ozzie was referring to Herm Schneider as "Hermy" and not Dustin Hermanson.

The quote can be interpreted both ways, as Ozzie said "I talked to hermy and he said he was tight and couldnt go".

After hermanson warmed up, he was shown on the bullpen mound waiting, so it never appeared to me that he wasnt ready to go.

It is very easy to second guess any manager. I have no doubt that most, if not all, of us were muttering and shaking our heads (or worse) during the 9th yesterday. I thought Ozzie probably should have lifted Mark a batter earlier, so he wouldn't have been exposed to the loss.

However, whenever a manager does something contrary to "The Book" and it fails, he gets roasted. The major problem I have with roasting Ozzie here is that "The Book" isn't codified, isn't written down. It exists in the minds of all fans, announcers and media people, all of whom have a different take on what it says.

If Ozzie had brought Cliff in to face Quinlan and Sciocia (sp?) had countered with Erstad and Erstad had gotten a hit, we'd all be complaining that Ozzie should have had Damaso pitch to Quinlan. Frankly, I like the (paraphrased) thoughts of Whitey Herzog here.

If I have a choice to pitch to a guy who makes $450,000 a year or a guy who makes $4.5 million a year, I'm gonna pitch to the guy who makes $450,000.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 31, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
According to Carmen and Silvy this morning, Ozzie was referring to Herm Schneider as "Hermy" and not Dustin Hermanson. 

The quote can be interpreted both ways, as Ozzie said "I talked to hermy and he said he was tight and couldnt go".

After hermanson warmed up, he was shown on the bullpen mound waiting, so it never appeared to me that he wasnt ready to go.

I took it to mean Dustin was tight.. regardless of him referring to Herm as Hermy. If Herm called out there and that's what Dustin said I assume Herm would relay that info to Ozzie.. thus "Hermy told me he (Dustin) was tight and couldn't go".

MI though..

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 31, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
No, Hermy was talking about Frank beind tight, so Timo hit for him.

As far as I've heard that hasn't been confirmed so I'll hang on to my thoughts a bit longer. Thanks though..

QUOTE(Steff @ May 31, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
As far as I've heard that hasn't been confirmed so I'll hang on to my thoughts a bit longer. Thanks though..

?

I was listening to the post game show and heard this. They were not even talking about Hermanson at the time. How would Schneider tell Ozzie during the game that Dustin was tight anyway? He sits on the bench, not in the bullpen.

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 31, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
?

I was listening to the post game show and heard this.  They were not even talking about Hermanson at the time.  How would Schneider tell Ozzie during the game that Dustin was tight anyway?  He sits on the bench, not in the bullpen.

I've seen Herm call out the the BP many times.

Regardless.. why do you care what I interpret anyway.