*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

On with Boers and Bernstien explained why he is struggling this year and explained his team's struggles. Says if the A's keep losing- Beane will likely trade him to a contender. He says that there is no way (with his large contract) that he will be there when they are doing a rebuilding process. He said "I signed this deal knowing i will be on a contending team, and once the A's become a non-contending team I expects to be dealt to a contender." He also said Beane might wait a year to see if he can fix things for 2006 before he thinks about dealing Chavez. Kind of an interesting interview. Who knows what to expect with this situation...

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say they would want at least B-Mac and 2 good prospects for him.

That said, I'd love to have the guy.

And I also cannot see them taking Crede as part of a deal for Chavez.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
I don't really like his attitude.  He's been on the A's his whole career and they've always contended.  Now, they hit their first rough season and he sounds like he's already got one foot out the door. :nono , Mr. Chavez.

I got the same impression from his comments.

I don't really like his attitude.  He's been on the A's his whole career and they've always contended.  Now, they hit their first rough season and he sounds like he's already got one foot out the door. :nono , Mr. Chavez.

No, more like he understands how small budget teams and baseball in general works.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
I'd say they would want at least B-Mac and 2 good prospects for him.

That said, I'd love to have the guy.

And I also cannot see them taking Crede as part of a deal for Chavez.

I would easily give up BMAC, crede, whoever to get Chavez, with Chavez you would have an improvement in defense and offense. Not to mention if we dont re-sign konerko, he can step right into his spot in the order no problem, he would also have more bats around him and be playing in a hitters park. Man I am drooling just thinking about it.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
No, more like he understands how small budget teams and baseball in general works.

exactly what i thought. i dont think he wants to be traded, he just understands that with his large salary it makes no sense for him to be there. He also said he doesn't want to be the next Mike Sweeney. He'll be traded this year or next year.

GET VINNY FREAKING CASTILLA INSTEAD DAMN IT

If we get Chavez, we will have to trade Fields to some one. By getting Vinny, we create a short term solution for this year and also next year and then we let Fields take over

Why spend so much money on Chavez and give up BMac?

I would rather have Vinny, trade Crede to the Nats in the process (they will prefer a younger 3B anyways....they have to build for the future) and get Fields ready for the pipeline.

Crede is anyways gone as soon as Borass gets a chance to screw JR.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)

"I signed this deal knowing i will be on a contending team, and once the A's become a non-contending team I expects to be dealt to a contender."

Cmon, that doesn't sound like he wants to get out of there at all?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)

If we get Chavez, we will have to trade Fields to some one. By getting Vinny, we create a short term solution for this year and also next year and then we let Fields take over

I would rather have Vinny, trade Crede to the Nats in the process (they will prefer a younger 3B anyways....they have to build for the future) and get Fields ready for the pipeline.

The Nats are still very well in it though. And also, its their first season. They are more than likely not going to have a fire sale, no matter how far out they are.

Think about all of the teamates that have been interchanged around him since he started with the team, though. Im sure in the back of his mind he feels somewhat jilted that the A's havent gone deeper into the playoffs, or even won the whole thing at some point. But every year Beane cinches it up and is forced to deal one piece or another for the future. Maybe Chavez is at a point in his career where he wants a little more stability on the field around him, and he doesnt see that happening with the A's anymore.

I dont even see them as having a rough season, either. they always seem to start slow and have a huge second half, only to putter out in the playoffs.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)

Why care about getting rid of Fields, at this point, he is not half the player Crede was in the minors, and we know how well that turned out.......

We woud have the luxury of being able to get an all-star on our team, why wouldnt you want that? Giving up BMAC may hurt in the meantime, but remember, there is a TON of good arms behind him, just waiting to come up the ranks.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
"I signed this deal knowing i will be on a contending team, and once the A's become a non-contending team I expects to be dealt to a contender."

Cmon, that doesn't sound like he wants to get out of there at all?

He expects to get dealt because there is no need for a guy making 10+ million dollars a year to be one of the worst teams in the division. I could see if he was producing that they would keep him just for the fans he draws to the park nightly. But if he continues to hit like this all year those fans will turn on him quickly no matter how well he has done in the past.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
He expects to get dealt because there is no need for a guy making 10+ million dollars a year to be one of the worst teams in the division. I could see if he was producing that they would keep him just for the fans he draws to the park nightly. But if he continues to hit like this all year those fans will turn on him quickly no matter how well he has done in the past.

I'm sure it's a little bit of both.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
I'm sure it's a little bit of both.

He doesnt want to be Mike Sweeney, who is trapped on a terrible team for years, who basically wont get rid of him. If you were him, would you want to waste your career rebuilding on a team who is using most of its payroll on you?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
He doesnt want to be Mike Sweeney, who is trapped on a terrible team for years, who basically wont get rid of him.  If you were him, would you want to waste your career rebuilding on a team who is using most of its payroll on you?

To answer your question, No, I wouldn't.

But, keep in mind that Sweeney's and Chavez's situations are a little different. Sweeney's Royals sucked the whole time he was there, except for one year. Chavez's A's have been good, except for this year. And I do realize that they'll be bad for a few more years now, too.

Fields isn't taking over next year.

If we traded for Chavez, Fields could move to 1st base and we could say goodbye to Paulsy. Field's defense at 3rd base isn't great anyways. Unless, of course, Fields was included in the trade for Chavez.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
If we traded for Chavez, Fields could move to 1st base and we could say goodbye to Paulsy.  Field's defense at 3rd base isn't great anyways.

Field's hitting isnt great either. I would rather have Rogo play 1B than Fields