Bill Mueller could be traded to the White Sox

redandwhite

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
Point #3, that's the crux of the issue.  You think it has merit, and because of that make a definitive statement that it will happen.  You're not a GM, you don't know any more than any of us here.  What you want or I want or what anyone here wants has no bearing whatsoever on what "will" happen. When you make definitive "it will happen" statements like that, people will respond accordingly.  It comes across as being a know-it-all.

I'm still seriously trying to understand why were still having this discussion. If you don't like to discuss possibilites for your ball club, why come to a message board at all? Certainly your better than that, Jim.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
I have thought about this deal over a month now, and considering a writer suggested a similar thing, I thought I would post it.  The deal makes sense for both teams, its a definite possibility that I wouldn't doubt both are looking into, and if there isn't room for Mueller on the Red Sox, I would love to root for him on the Southside. 

So no, this isn't the most recent trade idea I have thought of, nor does it not make sense for both teams.  I am not known for starting threads of that nature, and never will be known for starting threads of that nature.

It was nothing against your post about Mueller, there is just so many trade ideas that come up on this board that i thought it would be interesting to give trades their own fourm.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
I would love to add Bill Mueller to this team. But I find it hard to believe Epstein would trade him to us without getting immediate help in return. Since Epstein is a moneyball man he will be looking at performance.

In other words, Luisa is not going to look like an enticing proposition. Marte is hurt.

We would likely have to give up Politte.

In other news, the St. Paul Pioneer Press expects us to sign Jim Brower in the next couple days. Which, if we're giving up a bullpen pitcher, makes sense.

I would have a heart attack if Politte was in the deal. he becomes more valuable everytime he steps on the field. I think he finally found his niche and is comfortable with it. I dont want to see him helping the Red Sox through the playoffs.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
I have thought about this deal over a month now, and considering a writer suggested a similar thing, I thought I would post it.  The deal makes sense for both teams, its a definite possibility that I wouldn't doubt both are looking into, and if there isn't room for Mueller on the Red Sox, I would love to root for him on the Southside. 

So no, this isn't the most recent trade idea I have thought of, nor does it not make sense for both teams.  I am not known for starting threads of that nature, and never will be known for starting threads of that nature.

Red, I see where you're coming from. This is actually a good trade rumor thread, unlike 99.9% of the other garbage. But from JimH's perspective, and more and more others around here after seeing this crap for weeks now, coming in here and saying that it will absolutely happen is a wee-bit conceited and arrogant. Discuss it, fine, but to demand that you are 100% right and won't back off of it doesn't help your cause.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
I would have a heart attack if Politte was in the deal.   he becomes more valuable everytime he steps on the field.  I think he finally found his niche and is comfortable with it.  I dont want to see him helping the Red Sox through the playoffs.

Hopefully, if there is a deal, Cliff isn't involved in it. He has been great this year.

Edited by sayitanitso

I don't think he has any problem with discussing possibilities, as long as that is what they are advertised as.

If you start a thread titled Bill Mueller to be traded to the White Sox, I know I'm going to be pissed off if I start reading and find out its just another strat-o-matic scenario.

I don't disagree with your premise that it is possible and a legitimately interesting trade scenario. I think the problem is how the thread was advertised.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)

This is definitely not directed right at you. There have been so many "hows abot we trade Pablo Ozuna and some minor leaguers for A-Rod" threads in the past two weeks, that it has become sort of the butt of a joke right now.

Personally, i would love to see Mueller on the White Sox. I dont know what could be done to make it happen, and I am wondering if what Epstein would want is even worth considering.

Like Jim said, dont take it personally.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 07:08 PM)
I don't think he has any problem with discussing possibilities, as long as that is what they are advertised as.

If you start a thread titled Bill Mueller to be traded to the White Sox, I know I'm going to be pissed off if I start reading and find out its just another strat-o-matic scenario.

I don't disagree with your premise that it is possible and a legitimately interesting trade scenario. I think the problem is how the thread was advertised.

Exactly.

Now that we have kicked the s*** out of that horse let's move on.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
I just don't know how anyone has the energy for more than one of these per month

exactly why Im just paying attention to the Chavez rumor, thats the only one I care about. I dont think we are making any moves quite yet, but im sure KW is looking for some pitching at this point.

I am not known for starting threads of that nature, and never will be known for starting threads of that nature.

Fair enough, but just because to you it's not of the xbox nature, doesn't mean others don't perceive it that way. I for one believe it has very little merit. Here is why, Ozzie loves Crede's defense and both Ozzie and KW like what's going on in the clubhouse. Crede is durable, Mueller has had injury problems and is what, 5 years older or so. Both teams are contenders and I doubt they trade with one another. Lastly, both teams are likely looking to add vs. subtract and neither appears likely to trade a starting position player for prospects, or trade from their bullpen.

All my opinion, doesn't make it right or wrong, nor will I say definitively that something will or won't happen. None of us know.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
Anyone know how Mueller's defense is?

This is an interesting analysis:

American League Defensive Analysis

I agree with the vast majority of his points. I remember when Bill Mueller made miraculous play after miraculous play with the Giants and then with the Cubs, a major balls-out motherf***er. He is nowhere near what he once was.

Bill Mueller is a major liability on the field. Concerns about Kevin Youkilis’s defense are emphatically contradicted by his early returns (65 games). Perhaps, it should have been Mueller regularly taken out for defensive purposes rather than Bellhorn.

Joe Crede was weak in both ratings, but had a good fielding percentage. His plus rating will likely slip into a minus (as did his hitting). Jose Uribe will get a rating at all three infield positions. His 3B rating should be excellent.

Paul Konerko was the worst of the full time AL first basemen defensively. Russ Gload wasn’t much better. Frank Thomas only appeared four times at the position.

Aaron Rowand was the best zone rated centerfielder in 2004. Does that shock you? In making this list I have noticed many instances of both a player’s hitting and fielding suddenly improving or deteriorating in unison. Rowand became an all around all-star caliber player this year.  Sticking to defense, Rowand was supported by an above average leftfielder in Carlos Lee and above average rightfielders in Magglio Ordonez or Joe Borchard. Neither Willie Harris nor Timo Perez were effective part-timers in center, although Perez filled in rightfield well defensively. Ross Gload is decidedly not a defensive outfielder.

Jose Valentin still gets to as many balls as anyone else. Perhaps, he anticipates where the ball is going to be hit the best, because he sure doesn't get enough respect for his fielding. Jose Uribe should have an excellent rating there as well.

I don't care, I still hate Jose.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

I don't like the idea of losing Politte either. Quite frankly, I think we should be adding another LHRP, not trading RPs.

I was merely pointing out that Epstein is not going to trade a starter of the caliber of Mueller in the heat of a pennant race for AAAA fodder like Luisa. Theo will be expecting someone of value who he can expect to perform now.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)

:headbang As long as it doesn't say "ERIC CHAVEZ TO BE TRADED TO THE SOX TODAY" or something along the lines to where it is very misleading to everyone, then it's fine.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
I think the list goes like this...

Gold Glovers

Rolen

Chavez

Silver Glovers -- Consistently great fielders who haven't gotten their due.

Beltre

Arod

Bronze Glovers -- Consistently good fielders who don't get the credit they deserve...

Crede

Lowell

Ask any Seattle fan, they'll tell you that Beltre's defense has been amazing. That is if their not so upset that he's producing like Joe Crede at the plate. The point is, they're not acquiring a defensive replacement at third base.

I prefer Koskie, when healthy, defensively over Crede.

He does not have the strongest arm, but he has a ton of range, and he gets to almost everything down at 3B.

I might actually put him in between the bronze and silver glovers.

As far as the actual trade idea...it makes sense, and I'd have no problem giving up Marte for Mueller, quite honestly.  A solid reliever for a guy with an OBP of almost .400?  And this .400 OBP guy replaces a guy who has an OBP of like nothing?

Sign me up. 

I'm still seriously trying to understand why were still having this discussion.  If you don't like to discuss possibilites for your ball club, why come to a message board at all?  Certainly your better than that, Jim.

We have had gobs and gobs of trade threads from outer space. You didn't discuss it as a possibility, you said it will happen. The thread title had to be changed and people were confused. That is the objection. Post it as an idea or a possibility, it's not hard to do that.

Joe Crede was weak in both ratings, but had a good fielding percentage. His plus rating will likely slip into a minus (as did his hitting). Jose Uribe will get a rating at all three infield positions. His 3B rating should be excellent.

Who is Jose Uribe? KW should sign this guy :D

edit: damn you beat me to it sayitaintso! :headbang

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
This is an interesting analysis:

American League Defensive Analysis

I agree with the vast majority of his points.  I remember when Bill Mueller made miraculous play after miraculous play with the Giants and then with the Cubs, a major balls-out motherf***er.  He is nowhere near what he once was.

I don't care, I still hate Jose.

What the hell is with people calling uribe ''jose''? That site called him that 2-3 times from what i saw.

... and i am too slow.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
Last year the Red Sox traded with contenders.

There was a difference....

The Cubs were not in their leauge.

Montreal obiously was not a contender.

Minnesota was also in that deal, but Minnesota got nothing but prospects. Boston wasn't actively helping Minnesota get any better. They may have been better passively be simply replacing Alhpabet with Morneau, but Boston wasn't sending them any key cogs.

Also last year Boston was trying to win the WC. Minnesota had no shot at the wild card. They were gonna take the central. This year Boston has to be focused on the East first, and the WC second. The Sox and Twins are the most serieous Wild Card contenders to this point.