White Sox at A's 7/2 Gamethread

Garland goes for lucky number 13

07/01/2005 12:55 PM ET

By CJ Bowles / MLB.com

Jon Garland will try to be the first pitcher in the Majors to reach 13 wins this season when he faces the Athletics at McAfee Coliseum on Saturday evening. The White Sox righty took a tough loss in his last outing to the Cubs despite allowing one earned run in 7 1/3 innings.

A candidate to start the All-Star Game for the American League, Garland owned the A's in his first start against them them season. In that meeting he pitched a complete-game shutout, allowing four hits and striking out three.

The win would also tie Garland with Jack McDowell (1993) and Jim Kaat (1975) for the most wins by a Sox pitcher before the All-Star break. McDowell finished that season with 22 wins while Kaat wrapped up his '75 year with 20 victories.

Pitching matchup:

OAK: RHP Kirk Saarloos

•4-4, 3.82 ERA in 2005

•0-0, 1.69 ERA vs. CWS in 2005

CWS: RHP Jon Garland

•12-3, 3.25 ERA in 2005

•1-0, 0.00 ERA vs. OAK in 2005

Player to watch

Carl Everett is (3-for-10) when facing the A's this season with two doubles and three RBIs. One of the doubles and RBIs came Friday night when he drove home Aaron Rowand with two outs in the first inning. Everett batted .350 in June with six home runs and 18 RBIs.

Quotable

"His consistency is a lot better. I'm happier with him right now than I was last year. I was less sure of him last year. I think he's made a big improvement and hopefully he can get better." -- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen talking about Jose Contreras before Friday's game

Garland rocked the A's earlier this season for a CG shutout; let's hope Jon can put it all together today and give the Sox a chance to take the series with Buehrle toeing the rubber tomorrow.

Will tonight's game be a classic matchup at the House of Horrors or will the Sox grab a W versus a West coast club?

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a fun/funny game to watch (JG in Oakland in April). Garland was just on his game, and Hawk and DJ were a little crazy. They had an extreme obsession for the names Marco Scutaro and Huston Street, and they were real excited for the Widger HR call, since they hadn't been able to do many HR calls up to that point of the season.

With all that being said, let's hope this game is just as enjoyable to watch. :gosox1:

C'mon Jon, be the first 13 game winner. I hate the A's. When the Sox play here, it re-inforces that. How about a repeat performance of your last outing against these guys?

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

Guest JimH
Has Kevin Walker been cut yet? :puke

Yeah, all he had to do was get close to the strike zone on that 2nd batter, and he didn't. Further, had he done his job there, Ozzie could have let him pitch another inning to save the bullpen a bit. Instead, he used everyone but Hermanson and Politte.

They don't have anyone else in the minors any better (lefthanded), so unless they bring someone in they are stuck with Walker until Marte comes back.

I hope Jon brings his A game. Our offense needs to take their heads out of their @sses

and start being more consistent.

One good thing to note, yesterday Takatsu definately showed signs that he is turning it around. He wasnt nit-picking and was attacking with the fastball and using the frizbee effectively. :headbang

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
Yeah, all he had to do was get close to the strike zone on that 2nd batter, and he didn't.  Further, had he done his job there, Ozzie could have let him pitch another inning to save the bullpen a bit. Instead, he used everyone but Hermanson and Politte.

They don't have anyone else in the minors any better (lefthanded), so unless they bring someone in they are stuck with Walker until Marte comes back.

I'd rather have a better RHP pitch to a LH batter than Walker. No offense to the guy, he's probably a very pleasant person but I don't see what he brings to the table as far as contributing to winning is concerned.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
I hope Jon brings his A game.  Our offense needs to take their heads out of their @sses

and start being more consistent.

One good thing to note, yesterday Takatsu definately showed signs that he is turning it around.  He wasnt nit-picking and was attacking with the fastball and using the frizbee effectively. :headbang

Didn't he still give up like 2 runs?

All in all, there was nothing good about last night's game.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Didn't he still give up like 2 runs?

All in all, there was nothing good about last night's game.

The runs were charged to Shingo, Cotts let the runners score, I believe.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
Yeah, all he had to do was get close to the strike zone on that 2nd batter, and he didn't.  Further, had he done his job there, Ozzie could have let him pitch another inning to save the bullpen a bit. Instead, he used everyone but Hermanson and Politte.

Thats the thing, they don't need 2 lefties. Teams can go without them plenty of times. Walker is useless so why have him up just because he's a lefty. Ozzie is just sticking to someone he saw in Tuscon and thats not the best approach in this case.

Wilder and Kenny both must know that Jenks/Baj are better options, even if they aren't lefties. Walker is absolutely pathetic and doesn't deserve to sniff a major league roster. Get up someone like Baj or Jenks who can at least help the club in this type of game and at the same time get their feet wet. Both of them are lightyears better than Walker, even if they aren't left handed.

Hell, Arnie Munoz is struggling, but if the Sox want a lefty I'd rather see Arnie than Walker. Arnie has better stuff and well frankly he's not Kevin Walker.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
The runs were charged to Shingo, Cotts let the runners score, I believe.

That's what I'm saying. There was nothing encouraging about last night's game. Shingo gives up 2 ER, Cotts allows them to score, Vizcaino seemed serviceable at the best, Walker gave us what we expected, and the offense disappeared after the first inning.

That game just sucked ass, like all other Oakland games before it.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
That's what I'm saying.  There was nothing encouraging about last night's game.  Shingo gives up 2 ER, Cotts allows them to score, Vizcaino seemed serviceable at the best, Walker gave us what we expected, and the offense disappeared after the first inning.

Just thank heaven we didn't end up swapped with Texas when they set up the divisions.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
That's what I'm saying.  There was nothing encouraging about last night's game.  Shingo gives up 2 ER, Cotts allows them to score, Vizcaino seemed serviceable at the best, Walker gave us what we expected, and the offense disappeared after the first inning.

Just think of it this way....Oakland isn't going to make the playoffs so if the Sox do make it, they at least won't have to match up with them :lol:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Thats the thing, they don't need 2 lefties.  Teams can go without them plenty of times.  Walker is useless so why have him up just because he's a lefty.  Ozzie is just sticking to someone he saw in Tuscon and thats not the best approach in this case.

Wilder and Kenny both must know that Jenks/Baj are better options, even if they aren't lefties.  Walker is absolutely pathetic and doesn't deserve to sniff a major league roster.  Get up someone like Baj or Jenks who can at least help the club in this type of game and at the same time get their feet wet.  Both of them are lightyears better than Walker, even if they aren't left handed.

Hell, Arnie Munoz is struggling, but if the Sox want a lefty I'd rather see Arnie than Walker.  Arnie has better stuff and well frankly he's not Kevin Walker.

Right, honestly who gives a crap about another lefty at this point, you need to be able to throw strikes and be able to get big league hitters out. I'd much rather Baj or Jenks up here or even Munoz atleast he has big league stuff.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
Thats the thing, they don't need 2 lefties.  Teams can go without them plenty of times.  Walker is useless so why have him up just because he's a lefty.  Ozzie is just sticking to someone he saw in Tuscon and thats not the best approach in this case.

Wilder and Kenny both must know that Jenks/Baj are better options, even if they aren't lefties.  Walker is absolutely pathetic and doesn't deserve to sniff a major league roster.  Get up someone like Baj or Jenks who can at least help the club in this type of game and at the same time get their feet wet.  Both of them are lightyears better than Walker, even if they aren't left handed.

Hell, Arnie Munoz is struggling, but if the Sox want a lefty I'd rather see Arnie than Walker.  Arnie has better stuff and well frankly he's not Kevin Walker.

Arnie Munoz also has a ceiling where he could get better and learn something. There is a reason that Walker hasn't been pitching much in the majors.

Guest JimH

Jason, the two lefties are on the roster to strategize against the opposition manager as much as playing for the lefty-lefty match up. But I do agree they need a better option than Walker. I'm not convinced Munoz is it, but there has to be someone better.