TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

To the Patterson lover: Kkkorey blows!

This, via a Cub fan, makes me happy and warms my heart!

"Too bad Dusty wasn't sent down as well. It's time for Baker to go. A computer with the players' stats in it could do a better job of making out a lineup card. From a 47 year old Cub fan.... Support your local White Sox!"

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:06 AM)
Thinking about having to pay Burnett near $10M per year makes we want to just walk away from this deal.  Compare Burnett's career to Buehrle's and then go to Mark and say, "Hey, we are going to pay Burnett $10M.  What do you think about it?"

So we can only sign a pitcher for less than Mark's salary just because we don't want to hurt his feelings? Mark's payday will come. That's the way baseball works, and Mark knows that.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
Ok, lets assume...Marte, Tracey or Gio, and Sweeney for Burnett. 

Who here pulls the trigger on that deal?  I'm basing this off what Rosenthal said the Marlins were interested in (in terms of pieces) as well as the fact that the Sox would refuse to give up Bmac. 

If thats the case I'd pull the trigger on this deal, however I'd hope the Sox would try to reup with AJ.  All that said, even if they didn't I'd still be really tempted to make this trade, especially if they then pulled the trigger on a deal for Wagner or another solid left handed reliever.

Marte is good, but Burnett is very good and would give the Sox a filthy rotation.

*RAISES BOTH HANDS

I'd have made that move yesterday. Seriously, I'd hand Marte a fruit basket by the door on the way out and wish him the best of luck.

Now's the time. Now's the time. Now's the time.

It's time to stop pussyfooting around the issue, bring the only remaining piece of the puzzle in here, and bear down for a nasty post-season run.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
So we can only sign a pitcher for less than Mark's salary just because we don't want to hurt his feelings?  Mark's payday will come.  That's the way baseball works, and Mark knows that.

Burnett has done squat compared to Buehrle.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
Burnett has done squat compared to Buehrle.

Don;t you think Beuhrle wants a championship ring? I am 100% sure Buehrle is all for the betterment of the team in their quest for a ring. I doubt this would bother him. He will get his payday.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
Don;t you think Beuhrle wants a championship ring? I am 100% sure Buehrle is all for the betterment of the team in their quest for a ring. I doubt this would bother him. He will get his payday.

This is the kind of s*** that plays on a man's mind. Chemistry is wonderful thing when it's good, but mix a couple ingredients that shouldn't be mixed and it blows up in your face.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 08:35 AM)
This is the kind of s*** that plays on a man's mind.  Chemistry is wonderful thing when it's good, but mix a couple ingredients that shouldn't be mixed and it blows up in your face.

We can't worry about chemistry issues. That's the wrong attitude to take IMHO. If we start worrying about chemistry issues, we end up with the same roster and take no actions to improve the ballclub by the deadline.

Now, I'm not in the clubhouse and don't claim to know anything about the inner-workings of our belov'ed ballclub, but you would have to think we have the type of roster that would not allow the new-comer to mess with the current make-up of the team. In fact, I'll actually quote Dustin Hermanson, "We wouldn't let a new guy mess with the chemistry of the team; we may put him in a corner, but we wouldn't let a new guy mess with the chemistry of the team."

You would have to think the likes of Ozzie, Hermanson, Pierzynski, Buehrle and Konerko would not allow it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
This is the kind of s*** that plays on a man's mind.  Chemistry is wonderful thing when it's good, but mix a couple ingredients that shouldn't be mixed and it blows up in your face.

Money and Chemistry are ver different. MB wants a WS ring. So does everyone else on the Sox. Burnett would help in this quest. I honestly don't think MB would be bitter about giving another pitcher more money as long as it is for the betterment of the team. Is he mad at Count??? Burnett has never been reported as a cancer or as a negative person. This team will embrace Burnett. Look how AJ and Carl turned out!

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 08:41 AM)
It seems KW is concerned with chemistry, based on some of his quotes.

That's scary.

Personally, I think "chemistry" is a tool invented by the devil to give scores and scores of reporters from around the country something to write about when things are going both good and bad.

They are big boys. Just play baseball.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 08:35 AM)

Not making any changes for chemistry sake is what Pat Gillick and the 2001 Seattle Mariners did. They tore threw the regular season with no equal. Then in the playoffs they were dispatched with barely a whimper in the ALCS. Contrary to popular belief we will need 4 starters once we go beyond the ALDS. The idea of having our pitchers throw will little rest isnt reassuring. We did that last year during the 5th starter debacle, and it lasted like one time through the rotation. Dont change their rest, dont change their makeup because we are worried about adding one or two guys. And Conteras having an OK outing against the Tampa Bay Devils rays doesnt reassure me at all that he is ready to face good teams in the playoffs. I am absolutely convinced that he will wet the bed. The other cuban wont wet the bed, but I am wondering if all the arm troubles and age have finally caught up to him. We need two things, a lefty who can get lefties out and one more stud in the rotation to make that world series run.

Joe Randa wouldnt hurt also, but I will give up on that for now.

I agree with Irish and Addy. These are grown men on an MLB team with the best record in thw world. They ALL want a ring and probably don't care what has to be done to win one. Burnett is not a cancer nor have I ever heard anything bad about him from anyone. It seems that his injuries might be past him and that he is all for winning now. KW can pull this off. Chemistry is overrated. Yes, I do agree, it is a big part of baseball but you can't just ignore a chance to make your team and rotation one of the best in a while just because you don't want to hurt team chemistry. All players have to worry about is playing ball and co-existing with their teammates. Burnett is capable of doing both.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
I agree with Irish and Addy. These are grown men on an MLB team with the best record in thw world. They ALL want a ring and probably don't care what has to be done to win one. Burnett is not a cancer nor have I ever heard anything bad about him from anyone. It seems that his injuries might be past him and that he is all for winning now. KW can pull this off. Chemistry is overrated. Yes, I do agree, it is a big part of baseball but you can't just ignore a chance to make your team and rotation one of the best in a while just because you don't want to hurt team chemistry. All players have to worry about is playing ball and co-existing with their teammates. Burnett is capable of doing both.

Ozzie coached over with the Marlins and probably has the best idea of what type of guy AJ Burnett is.

Also remember how many people were against picking up our AJ in the offseason because he was a "supposeded" cancer. I kept using the Rodman analogies, that he was the guy you hated to play against but loved on your team. He has turned out to be a stud for us, and who really things our pitching staff is not better because he is callling the game instead of Ben Davis.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Ozzie coached over with the Marlins and probably has the best idea of what type of guy AJ Burnett is. 

Also remember how many people were against picking up our AJ in the offseason because he was a "supposeded" cancer.  I kept using the Rodman analogies, that he was the guy you hated to play against but loved on your team.  He has turned out to be a stud for us, and who really things our pitching staff is not better because he is callling the game instead of Ben Davis.

Exactly, if Ozzie had daoubts about Burnett, I am sure he would approach KW about it and we haven't heard anything of that sort yet. Ozzie for bettering the team and Burnett does that.

If the Marlins would take Contreras as part of the deal for Burnett, then I'm all for making the move, because, whatever shortcomings Burnett has as a pitcher (good for 6 innings, only pitched 200 innings once, etc.), they are less than Contreras's shortcomings, and he would have a very significant edge over any likely pitching opponent in the playoffs.

Then, if we can't sign Burnett in the offseason, we'll at least have the $8 million we would have paid Jose to use to sign a 4th starter.

But if the deal is to surrender 3 top prospects to rent Burnett for 3 months, then I think the price could be too high depending on the names of the prospects.

While I'm not completely sold on the sox getting Jason Schmidt, some deal for Vizquel could really complete the sox [maybe with Scott Eyre also coming to the sox]. Along with some pitching help, Omar's versatility and approach to hitting, ala what Pods and Iguchi have done, would make the sox tough to beat in a short series. Most people would agree Uribe struggles against very good pitching. I don't have the exact matchups. But some numbers to throw out there against some teams the sox might face in the playoffs:

Career

Uribe vs Bos: .205/.250/.341

vs LAA: .171/.186/.244

vs Minn .257/.276/.419

Vizquel vs Bos: .237/.270/.316

vs LAA: .343/.416/.455

vs Minn .342/.387/.459

Just some food for thought

With a day of now cooling, I've moved the AJ Burnett thread into here. However, later today I'm probably going to open up a Trade Rumor Subforum on PHT where people can have seperate threads for seperate rumors.

We'll kind of experiment with it during the month of July.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)

f*** chemistry, AJ flat out isnt worth that much money in the first place. He is not an Ace, not a #2, probably not our #3. So you are going to payu a #4 starter over 10 million a year?

might want to cheer for the yankees then.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
While I'm not completely sold on the sox getting Jason Schmidt, some deal for Vizquel could really complete the sox [maybe with Scott Eyre also coming to the sox]. Along with some pitching help, Omar's versatility and approach to hitting, ala what Pods and Iguchi have done, would make the sox tough to beat in a short series. Most people would agree Uribe struggles against very good pitching. I don't have the exact matchups. But some numbers to throw out there against some teams the sox might face in the playoffs:

Career

Uribe vs Bos: .205/.250/.341

vs LAA: .171/.186/.244

vs Minn .257/.276/.419

Vizquel vs Bos: .237/.270/.316

vs LAA: .343/.416/.455

vs Minn .342/.387/.459

Just some food for thought

What I also like about Vizquel is he's best against right handed pitching on a team that could use another left handed bat. And since Ozuna is best against lefties, he makes a natural fit with Vizquel and makes it easy for Ozzie to start him at SS for another 20-25 games (or more) per year.

Another thing that could make Vizquel valuable would be if Pods had to go on the DL for any reason. Who would lead off? Uribe's OBP makes him the worst candidate. I suppose Iguchi could fill the role, with Rowand sliding into #2. (Ozuna has been our backup lead off hitter, but when he's subbing for Uribe. Now, if Pods sits, it is Everett out there.)

And Vizquel can fill the #2 hole better than Harris when Willie is giving Iguchi a breather.

Schmidt/Vizquel for Contreras/Uribe and a combo of 2-3 prospects still makes the most trade sense for the Sox (and the Giants).

From today's Jerry Crasnick's chat on ESPN.com

He Gone (Chicago): Do you think the White Sox will make a big trade before the deadline? Here in Chicago, it sure seems like they are going to go for it this year, since this is the best team we may ever have and the AL in vulnerable.

Jerry Crasnick: He Gone,

Kenny Williams loves to think big, which is why I think there might be some merit to this Jason Schmidt-Omar Vizquel deal with the Giants. If Schmidt is right, he vaults the Sox to clear postseason favorite status. That rumor merits watching

On a side note...

Jason Schmidt will be starting tonight against the St. Louis Cardinals.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 07:43 AM)
Not making any changes for chemistry sake is what Pat Gillick and the 2001 Seattle Mariners did.  They tore threw the regular season with no equal.  Then in the playoffs they were dispatched with barely a whimper in the ALCS.

Not making any changes for chemistry was also what the 2002 Anaheim Angels did.

Making changes and not worrying about Chemistry was also what the White Sox did in 2001, when after winning the division they decided to add a starting pitcher in David Wells and a backup Shortstop named Royce Clayton who was to help Jose with his defense.

They thought they had filled in the pieces so well that the slogan coming into that year was "It's time".

What did we wind up with? Wells b****ing at Thomas, Clayton hurting the clubhouse, and a Twins division title.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
From today's Jerry Crasnick's chat on ESPN.com

On a side note...

Jason Schmidt will be starting tonight against the St. Louis Cardinals.

You know...every time his name comes up here...I start hoping he'll struggle more, just so that I can stop hearing his name.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
You know...every time his name comes up here...I start hoping he'll struggle more, just so that I can stop hearing his name.

Boo I say to that. Everytime he pitches you should be hoping he returns to form, thus getting KW more interested, and thus getting us another ace for the postseason. Think positively...