Sox agreed to trade for Griffey Jr.

maggsmaggs

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read through 10 pages but didn't see this bit of news: the sox minor leaguers traded via waivers can't be on the 40 man roster correct?

Here is the sox 40 man roster: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...an.jsp?c_id=cws

Chris Young wouldn't be subjected to waivers and could be dealt. Rogowski could and would be claimed

If Cincy's owner relents, the sox would be the only teamto make a claim. But that's a big if, the owner "sees" the light.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
As much as I hate you for killing my dreams of Ken Griffey Jr in a White Sox jersey, thanks for bringing in common sense. I know he won't be here anytime soon.

:crying

One thing to consider, the Reds owner isn't the baseball man. His Gm is, and seeing how a deal was in place, it's not beyond reason something could still work out.

If their GM could convince him to trade Griffey [which hasn't exactly been a PR bonanza,] and now when he's finally healthy, trading him somehwere to DH makes sense, it may be the only chance to get rid of his contract. The GM wants to trade KGJ, because then it frees up money to spend elsewhere. But it's the owner's decision

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
One thing to consider, the Reds owner isn't the baseball man. His Gm is, and seeing how a deal was in place, it's not beyond reason something could still work out.

If their GM could convince him to trade Griffey [which hasn't exactly been a PR bonanza,] and now when he's finally healthy, trading him somehwere to DH makes sense, it may be the only chance to get rid of his contract. The GM wants to trade KGJ, because then it frees up money to spend elsewhere. But it's the owner's decision

Exactly. The owner's decision. The owner is afraid of bad PR which is stupid considering that most Red fans know they have to part with Ken Griffey Jr. to get better. They also know they must get rid of Sean Casey. Their owner won't do it though in fear of public backlash. If you read the Reds' messageboards you can't pretty much see their owner isn't socializing with their fans enough because they want Griffey gone so they could spend on players.

If they owner didn't do it the first time, I doubt he does it the 2nd time around.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
Exactly. The owner's decision. The owner is afraid of bad PR which is stupid considering that most Red fans know they have to part with Ken Griffey Jr. to get better. They also know they must get rid of Sean Casey. Their owner won't do it though in fear of public backlash. If you read the Reds' messageboards you can't pretty much see their owner isn't socializing with their fans enough because they want Griffey gone so they could spend on players.

If they owner didn't do it the first time, I doubt he does it the 2nd time around.

When I think Reds owner, I'm thinking crazy old impulsive rich man who doesn't really know his baseball team. If a guy is so out of touch with reality that he still thinks Griffey Jr is a PR bonus, he could change his mind very easily. It may be a matter of the GM taking the owner out for drinks in order to grease Jr's way out of town.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
When I think Reds owner, I'm thinking crazy old impulsive rich man who doesn't really know his baseball team. If a guy is so out of touch with reality that he still thinks Griffey Jr is a PR bonus, he could change his mind very easily. It may be a matter of the GM taking the owner out for drinks in order to grease Jr's way out of town.

In that you are still talking about the whole league minus the White Sox letting Ken Griffey go. I don't see that happen.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
*THIS IS WHY HE'D MOST LIKELY CLEAR WAIVERS*

Ken Griffey Jr.'s entire contract.

Ken Griffey Jr.:

9-year contract worth $116.5M

2005: $12.5M

2006: $12.5M

2007: $12.5M

2008: $12.5M

2009: $12.5M - Team Option - $4M Buyout

+ $5.5M of his 2000 salary is deffered through 2008 making his per year salary higher than noted.

+ $6.5M of 2001-2009 salaries deferred to subsequent years between 2009 and 2024

+ He is currently a 10-5 player.

Agent: Brian Goldberg

All this for a player who has been injured almost every year since 2000 and could tear his Hamstring at anytime. His legs are especially fragile due to the nature of his hamstring injuries.

Griffey is 35 right now and will be 36 by the beginning of the '06 season. No team will claim him off waivers.

Based on this, what does the Reds $4.5 million contribution per year cover?

I always thought his contract in the later years is more on the order of $18-19 million, but only $12.5 million of that was paid in current dollars, with the balance deferred.

If that is true, would the Sox be taking on his current contract plus part of the deferred money (whatever exceeds $4.5 million/year), or $4.5 million/year LESS than his current contract and NONE of his deferred money?

In either event, it seems like a deal the Sox were lucky to have blocked.

Let's be real guys.

The value of Griffey this year is the marginal difference between him and Carl Everett, who will presumably go to the bench if Griffey starts at DH in the ALDS. What is that worth? Something, but not all that much.

Griffey has the worst zone rating of any major league CF while Rowand has one of the best, so Griffey is a serious defensive liability in the outfield at this point. So if we make it to the World Series, we will be weakening our defense to play him in the NL park.

Griffey is still injury prone, so there is no assurance he would even stay healthy to make it to October this year.

And for that marginal value, we are giving up a whole hell of a lot.

1. Money better spent on a healthy, younger player.

2. Chris Young, who is touted more highly than any outfield prospect we have, isn't he? Won't Chris Young be better than Ken Griffey is now soon after he makes our major league team?

3. Certainty. With Griffey's injury history, we'd have to go into every season with someone like Carl Everett backing him up in case he went down for the year. Sure, depth is fine, but that would get ridiculous, ala Cincy.

Be thankful that the Griffey deal appears dead.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
Based on this, what does the Reds $4.5 million contribution per year cover? 

I always thought his contract in the later years is more on the order of $18-19 million, but only $12.5 million of that was paid in current dollars, with the balance deferred. 

If that is true, would the Sox be taking on his current contract plus part of the deferred money (whatever exceeds $4.5 million/year), or $4.5 million/year LESS than his current contract and NONE of his deferred money? 

In either event, it seems like a deal the Sox were lucky to have blocked. 

Let's be real guys.

The value of Griffey this year is the marginal difference between him and Carl Everett, who will presumably go to the bench if Griffey starts at DH in the ALDS.  What is that worth?  Something, but not all that much.

Griffey has the worst zone rating of any major league CF while Rowand has one of the best, so Griffey is a serious defensive liability in the outfield at this point.  So if we make it to the World Series, we will be weakening our defense to play him in the NL park. 

Griffey is still injury prone, so there is no assurance he would even stay healthy to make it to October this year.

And for that marginal value, we are giving up a whole hell of a lot.

1.  Money better spent on a healthy, younger player. 

2.  Chris Young, who is touted more highly than any outfield prospect we have, isn't he?  Won't Chris Young be better than Ken Griffey is now soon after he makes our major league team?

3.  Certainty.  With Griffey's injury history, we'd have to go into every season with someone like Carl Everett backing him up in case he went down for the year.  Sure, depth is fine, but that would get ridiculous, ala Cincy. 

Be thankful that the Griffey deal appears dead.

1)You seem wayyyyyyyyyy to caught up on any prospect. If the White Sox gave up their worst prospect in the system, you would say it was a bad move. I was kind of hoping Brandon McCarthy flat out was cut just so we wouldn't have to hear you make several threads about not trading him. We're trying to win now. This is arguably our best year in franchise history. Wen that's the case, you have to go for it.

2)Young is not touted more than Sweeney or Anderson. He's a very good prospect, but we have OF depth in the organization. Is Young going to help us win the World Series this year? No. Is he even going to help us next year? No. That's why you do the move.

3)Griffey would be playing DH most of the time with some stints in CF. Ozzie isn't that stupid and neither is Kenny. And Griffey is a way better hitter than Everett. He's less streaky and he also could hit from the left side which sadly Everett can't.

4)Who would you have more confidence in at the plate in the playoffs for getting a key hit. Griffey or Everett?? I'd certainly take Griffey any day.

5)Cincy would pay 4.5 million a year until his contract is up. We'd take care of the deferred part which is only about 4 million. 4 million usually isn't the difference between making the playoffs or not. I wouldn't care about the deferred part. I'm sure JR and the ownership doesn't mind that either. Almost all great hitters have deferred cash. Manny, Vlad Griffey. Even A-Rod had that before he got traded to NY. Deferred cash isn't a problem.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
1)You seem wayyyyyyyyyy to caught up on any prospect. If the White Sox gave up their worst prospect in the system, you would say it was a bad move. I was kind of hoping Brandon McCarthy flat out was cut just so we wouldn't have to hear you make several threads about not trading him. We're trying to win now. This is arguably our best year in franchise history. Wen that's the case, you have to go for it.

2)Young is not touted more than Sweeney or Anderson. He's a very good prospect, but we have OF depth in the organization. Is Young going to help us win the World Series this year? No. Is he even going to help us next year? No. That's why you do the move.

3)Griffey would be playing DH most of the time with some stints in CF. Ozzie isn't that stupid and neither is Kenny. And Griffey is a way better hitter than Everett. He's less streaky and he also could hit from the left side which sadly Everett can't.

4)Who would you have more confidence in at the plate in the playoffs for getting a key hit. Griffey or Everett?? I'd certainly take Griffey any day.

5)Cincy would pay 4.5 million a year until his contract is up. We'd take care of the deferred part which is only about 4 million. 4 million usually isn't the difference between making the playoffs or not. I wouldn't care about the deferred part. I'm sure JR and the ownership doesn't mind that either. Almost all great hitters have deferred cash. Manny, Vlad Griffey. Even A-Rod had that before he got traded to NY. Deferred cash isn't a problem.

Upside wise, Young has more than any OFer in the Sox system and almost every other system for that matter.

Not saying I wouldn't make the trade though cause I think a healthy Griffey makes this team a whole lot stronger.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
The value of Griffey this year is the marginal difference between him and Carl Everett, who will presumably go to the bench if Griffey starts at DH in the ALDS.  What is that worth?  Something, but not all that much.

Griffey trounces Carl in BA, OBP, and SLG. The difference is not even close. Not to mention KGJ hits RH pitchers (.287 BA/.913 OPS) well AS WELL AS LH pitchers (.279 BA/.878 OPS). Carl is absolutely terrible against RH pitching. There is NO comparison....KGJ>>>>>>>>>>Carl

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
Upside wise, Young has more than any OFer in the Sox system and almost every other system for that matter. 

Not saying I wouldn't make the trade though cause I think a healthy Griffey makes this team a whole lot stronger.

As far as touted, I've heard Sweeney and Anderson more than Young. Honestly, I didn't mind which one we gave up of the 3. I know they're all pretty good.

Also, it would've helped the Sox alot because Griffey is a guy people would go buy tickets to go see on the Southside because he's still a marquee player and cope that with winning and you have butts in the seats.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
As far as touted, I've heard Sweeney and Anderson more than Young. Honestly, I didn't mind which one we gave up of the 3. I know they're all pretty good.

Also, it would've helped the Sox alot because Griffey is a guy people would go buy tickets to go see on the Southside because he's still a marquee player and cope that with winning and you have butts in the seats.

exactly, he brings more people in the park and gets our system more money, and not to mention can play

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)

If Frank is done with the White Sox, KGJ would be a stellar replacement in terms of marketability. Griffey is an attraction...

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)

I've noticed that you tend to underrate very good hitters. You did the same damn thing with Aubrey Huff by calling him just a Good player when in fact he's a great hitter (30/100/.300/875+) Now you're doing the same thing with Griffey. There is no comparison offensively between Griffey and Everett.

Huff >>>>> Everett

Griffey >>>>> Everett.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
If Frank is done with the White Sox, KGJ would be a stellar replacement in terms of marketability.  Griffey is an attraction...

A healthy Griffey is 1000 times more marketable than Frank. Frank was amazing in his hay-day, but if Griffey gets rolling again (and it looks like he is and gets back in a major market)....he will once again be one of the more marketable players in all of baseball.

Frank was never really that. He was pretty damn amazing in the 90's, but marketablity wise (aside from Big Hurt Baseball the video game) he doesn't even come close to KGJ.

Also as far as Young goes, right now I think if you asked a team who they'd want of all the Sox ofer's, Chris Young would be #1 on most of those list. A team couldn't go wrong with any of them (I think all 3 have the chance to be very good players), but Young has the best chance to be a special player (I think next on that list would be Sweeney, simply because he has such a sweet stroke and its so low maintenance).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
*Sigh* Jr would have helped this team so much(duh), I just really wish this deal would have went through. :(

KGJ can impact the game. He is someone that would again strike fear in the opposition. He would make everyone around him better. People in front of KGJ and behind him in the order would get much better pitches to hit. Its a waterfall effect.

"Sigh"

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)
KGJ can impact the game.  He is someone that would again strike fear in the opposition.  He would make everyone around him better.  People in front of KGJ and behind him in the order would get much better pitches to hit.  Its a waterfall effect.

"Sigh"

he would be like getting frank thomas back

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
A healthy Griffey is 1000 times more marketable than Frank.  Frank was amazing in his hay-day, but if Griffey gets rolling again (and it looks like he is and gets back in a major market)....he will once again be one of the more marketable players in all of baseball. 

Frank was never really that.  He was pretty damn amazing in the 90's, but marketablity wise (aside from Big Hurt Baseball the video game) he doesn't even come close to KGJ.

Though I own probably every product ever produced with Frank's mug on it, and there's a fare amount of it, Frank could never compare to Griffey in that department. Griffey would be a huge draw. It'd be awesome to have 2 of the greatest hitters of the '90s on this team.

:pray

FrankSI2copy.jpg

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 04:49 PM)
Though I own probably every product ever produced with Frank's mug on it, and there's a fare amount of it, Frank could never compare to Griffey in that department.  Griffey would be a huge draw.  It'd be awesome to have 2 of the greatest hitters of the '90s on this team.

:pray

FrankSI2copy.jpg

Not to mention two guys that never touched roids and I'm positive that neither of them have ever used them.

Plus, when I Think of Griffey, I just think of the way he played the game. He always has a smile on his face. During BP with the hat backwards. He's one of those guys that always has a smile and made the game look so easy.

Such a sweet swing too. Also, if you look, every month this season he's gotten better in every major category. Had a slow April (understandable and is just rolling).

He's getting to the point where he's the same player (offensively) that he once was. Plus at 35, he could still have a few more good years left. He definately makes the club a whole lot better and thats the key.