Yankees ask about Rowand

TLAK

The Yankees asked the White Sox about center fielder Aaron Rowand, but they were told by GM Ken Williams that there was no potential for a match.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Rowand will be dealt, but the White Sox would probably be better off waiting a year. Brian Anderson hasn't proven he's ready to take over in center field. If Rowand isn't an option, the Yankees could look at trading for Milton Bradley, Brad Wilkerson or Juan Pierre. Bradley's issues reportedly have much of the club's front office against a potential deal, but he's plenty talented and he'd come cheap. Nov. 11 - 4:02 am et

Source: New York Daily News

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
They have no one that would interest unless the Yanks would give up Eric Duncan, who is their best prospect and that ain't happening.  I wouldn't see a match as well.

I could see KW asking for Cheng Ming Wang here, but no way would the Yanks give him up, they won't even give him up in a Bobby Abreu deal.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
That teams are asking about Rowand and hearing "there's not a match" instead of "no way" should be a sign that Rowand could be moved if the right deal comes along

The NY Daily News article said that the Sox were looking for a bat to replace Everett.

Anyone think that if Pierre is moved, Rowand could be included in a possible deal for Delgado?

Anyone could be moved if the right deal comes along. Rowand is one of those that would be more probable than others on the Sox. As for the Yankees, I never could see what they have to offer that could match up. It wouldn't shock me to Cashman try and pull in another team if he has his sights set on Rowand.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
Anyone could be moved if the right deal comes along.  Rowand is one of those that would be more probable than others on the Sox.  As for the Yankees, I never could see what they have to offer that could match up.  It wouldn't shock me to Cashman try and pull in another team if he has his sights set on Rowand.

The Yankees have an abundance of starting pitchers (I think they have 7 who are capable of being in the rotation under contract). They could try and make it a 3 way deal, and include someone like Carl Pavano or Jaret Wright possibly.

Here's the full article:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/13139707.htm

This is the most telling excerpt:

"Rowand is a natural center fielder and impressed the Yankees - and most other teams - with his strong reads and gliding strides into the gaps. The White Sox have a budding prospect in 23-year-old Brian Anderson and are strongly thinking about giving him a chance in the majors this year, giving them some room to move on the trade market. Unfortunately for the Yankees, they are looking for a bat to replace departed DH Carl Everett, and the Yanks' biggest surplus is in starting pitching."

If Konerko leaves, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Marlins trade Juan Pierre to the Cubs and then accept a package of Rowand, Marte, and prospects for Carlos Delgado. Brian Anderson would then take over center field. Kenny really seems to want a #3 power-hitting lefty for the lineup next year. If this happened, I think Kenny would bring back Frank at a cheap contract with Gload backing him up in case of another injury. Sign Mike Myers to replace Marte and we are set.

Podsednik

Iguchi

Delgado

Frank

Dye

Pierzynski

Crede

Uribe

Anderson

That's not a bad lineup, imo.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
The NY Daily News article said that the Sox were looking for a bat to replace Everett.

Anyone think that if Pierre is moved, Rowand could be included in a possible deal for Delgado?

I think the marlins will build around Delgado, clearing salary elsewhere--guys like Pierre, LoDuca, maybe Castillo, Lowell if they can eat enough salary.

But stranger things have happened.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 07:52 AM)

Yup. they mentioned that today. We have interest in Thome, Delgado, and Tod Helton they said on the radio.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
Here's the full article:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/13139707.htm

This is the most telling excerpt:

"Rowand is a natural center fielder and impressed the Yankees - and most other teams - with his strong reads and gliding strides into the gaps. The White Sox have a budding prospect in 23-year-old Brian Anderson and are strongly thinking about giving him a chance in the majors this year, giving them some room to move on the trade market. Unfortunately for the Yankees, they are looking for a bat to replace departed DH Carl Everett, and the Yanks' biggest surplus is in starting pitching."

If Konerko leaves, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Marlins trade Juan Pierre to the Cubs and then accept a package of Rowand, Marte, and prospects for Carlos Delgado.  Brian Anderson would then take over center field.  Kenny really seems to want a #3 power-hitting lefty for the lineup next year.  If this happened, I think Kenny would bring back Frank at a cheap contract with Gload backing him up in case of another injury.  Sign Mike Myers to replace Marte and we are set.

Podsednik

Iguchi

Delgado

Frank

Dye

Pierzynski

Crede

Uribe

Anderson

That's not a bad lineup, imo.

I agree with almost everything you said as a distinct possibilty. Other than having Gload be the backup, thats just not goingto happen as much as we would like it to. Oh and Uribe should always hit last.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)

I'd make a trade centered around Rowand + Marte for Delgado. Of course, I doubt it would be that simple, but...

Anyways -- does Wilkerson being mentioned above mean he's available? He'd be a nice addition... Seems like he had a down year last season -- 21 less homers, but also had 49 non-HR xtra-base hits.

Who has higher trade value Anderson or Rowand???? Who is cheaper???? Who has the higher ceiling?????

Teams on budgets may give up more for Anderson than Rowand.

I am not exactly sure you will be guaranteed a greater return on Rowand. The Yankees will because they can waste money but a team like Florida will want the cheaper option with the higher ceiling which I think is Anderson. There is risk on the Florida side on this. A risk the Yankees would not take. Now the Phillies are in the middle of the two as far as money goes.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
The Yankees asked the White Sox about center fielder Aaron Rowand, but they were told by GM Ken Williams that there was no potential for a match.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Rowand will be dealt, but the White Sox would probably be better off waiting a year. Brian Anderson hasn't proven he's ready to take over in center field. If Rowand isn't an option, the Yankees could look at trading for Milton Bradley, Brad Wilkerson or Juan Pierre. Bradley's issues reportedly have much of the club's front office against a potential deal, but he's plenty talented and he'd come cheap. Nov. 11 - 4:02 am et

Source: New York Daily News

The Yankees have nothing left, in my opinion anyway, in their minor league system that would be attractive enough to make a trade for Rowand, but it amazes me how the Yankmees name continually come up in these deals. I could see them paying a grand sum for a free agent like Paulie, but they seem usually to buy their needs and not really trade for them. Plus is some minor league player worth an Aaron Rowand straight up? They are after all the best team money can BUY not trade for. In addition we always hear about how some team like the Yankmees are interested in our players. Why is a World Campionship team seen as needing to trade their best players to a team like the Yankinmees?

This is not entirely surprising given the way Rowand played in Yankee Stadium and the absolute godawful defense that Bernie Williams played last year. The Yankee announcers were fawning all over Rowand.

I agree with KW that there's not really a good match there. The only real tradeable talent the Yankees have is at 2nd Base (Cano) and starting pitching (Wang), both areas (Iguchi and the Big Four + B-Mac) that the Sox are strong in.

That said, someone like Wang could be a marketable player if the Sox could get him in a Rowand deal (it might have to be Rowand + a prospect). Wang could be spun off for someone valuable in their own right.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
I really like Rowand even though he might not be my favorite player, but to see him go would hurt. Kinda like Olivo departure was. Sure Anderson has higher upside (so I've heard) but Rowand leaving would suck. Plus it would split the three stooges up!!

Yeah, and look how that trade turned out for us. Giving away a decent player who is a fan favorite really sucks, but it could turn out to be a better value for us. Who knows, but if A-row would net us someone like Delgado, I would take it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
Yeah, and look how that trade turned out for us.  Giving away a decent player who is a fan favorite really sucks, but it could turn out to be a better value for us.  Who knows, but if A-row would net us someone like Delgado, I would take it.

Well if it improves the team then yes you have to do it. I was just saying, I would hate for him to leave but if the right offer came up then yes. :crying

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
Well if it improves the team then yes you have to do it. I was just saying, I would hate for him to leave but if the right offer came up then yes. :crying

It would be VERY painful for me as well, the guy is awesome. huge Bears fan, really a reflection of chicago's character.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
I still don't want Rowand traded until after the '06 season. Unless a trade comes up for Delgado, I really don't want to see Row moved. The .900 OPS CF from '04 was so f***in' good, he needs one more season to prove it wasn't a fluke.

Or you could trade him now while he still has value. Another subpar offensive season from him, and teams wouldn't be willing to give up much for him at all. From what it seems, mid-level players like Rowand, Orlando Hudson, and Mench are attracting a lot of attention, and there seems to be a pretty nice sized price tag for them also.

Rowand is my favorite player, mostly because of his work ethic, but his hitting this year was sub-par. Also, he would carry substantial value on the market.

My intuition says he'll have a much better year next year, offensively. Not to be ignored is how he added to the "chemistry" of the team. Crede, A.J. and he were pretty tight. That intangible should not be ignored.

If we could substantially improve the team by trading Rowand, I would pull the trigger; otherwise, keep him.