Thome+Konerko=World Series

MarkBuehrle_TheAce

Ok im new at all this so if ne one wants to give me some suggestions on ne thing, feel free to tell me. on to the 'sox talk', Paulie and Thome are gonna b monsters this season, IF Thome stays healthy, which i think he will. With Thome protecting Konerko, it forces them to pitch to AT LEAST one of them, therefore im busy penciling Paulie in at 40+ homers and Thome at 35+, what do you guys think??

P.S: :fight The one on the Right is Minnesota

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)
Ok im new at all this so if ne one wants to give me some suggestions on ne thing, feel free to tell me. on to the 'sox talk', Paulie and Thome are gonna b monsters this season, IF Thome stays healthy, which i think he will. With Thome protecting Konerko, it forces them to pitch to AT LEAST one of them, therefore im busy penciling Paulie in at 40+ homers and Thome at 35+, what do you guys think??

P.S: :fight  The one on the Right is Minnesota

Welcome to Soxtalk. Even if Thome isn't healthy, I think we can win it all, but it sure helps.

Guest $I Need Money$

Of course we're gonna f***ing repeat!!!

Jim Thome I think will hit over 40 home runs. Our pitching, hitting, and defense is great. White Sox will repeat and also take the attendance award in chicago!!

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
Ok im new at all this so if ne one wants to give me some suggestions on ne thing, feel free to tell me. on to the 'sox talk', Paulie and Thome are gonna b monsters this season,

Kind of like Albert Belle + Frank Thomas = World Series?

The real equation is Mark Buehrle + Freddy Garcia + Jose Contreras + Jon Garland + Javier Vazquez = World Series.

We learned that math this year.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
Kind of like Albert Belle + Frank Thomas = World Series?

The real equation is Mark Buehrle + Freddy Garcia + Jose Contreras + Jon Garland + Javier Vazquez = World Series.

We learned that math this year.

My sentiments exactly. Thome + Konerko could also = record number of double plays for the WS offense. The Sox won 3 division titles on paper before they scrapped the long ball strategy because they couldn't win any tight ball games. I would say my two biggest concerns for the WS this year is lack of bullpen depth and loss of speed. Guillen wanted to get faster and more defense in the offseason. I'd say they got slower and lost some leather. I know they effectively traded Everett for Thome which is not a huge dropoff in speed, but they also gave up a lot of defense and scrappy baserunning with the loss of Rowand. I have confidence in Guillen, but I am concerned that KW fell back into his back habits of obsessing over stars past their prime.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)
From what I have heard/seen, Anderson looks to have a few steps on Rowand, and maybe it was just me, but was Rowand that good of a baserunner to begin with?

I was more focused on A-Row's great reads in center than his baserunning. Anderson may make us forget all the gappers that died in Rowand's mitt, but I will reserve judgement until I actually see him go after it for a few months. With or without the trophy, Aaron was a gold glover last year.

From what I have heard/seen, Anderson looks to have a few steps on Rowand, and maybe it was just me, but was Rowand that good of a baserunner to begin with?

Definately not in the postseason.

And there's really no reason anyone should worry about a downgrade in speed from Everett to Thome. The difference in offensive output from Everett to Thome will more than make up for the slight speed difference between the two.

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)

P.S: :fight  The one on the Right is Minnesota

My suggestion would be to type the word any instead of ne, it's only one more letter and much easier to read. :P

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
I was more focused on A-Row's great reads in center than his baserunning. Anderson may make us forget all the gappers that died in Rowand's mitt, but I will reserve judgement until I actually see him go after it for a few months. With or without the trophy, Aaron was a gold glover last year.

Reading your previous post leads me to believe you haven't reserved judgement.

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
My sentiments exactly. Thome + Konerko could also = record number of double plays for the WS offense. The Sox won 3 division titles on paper before they scrapped the long ball strategy because they couldn't win any tight ball games. I would say my two biggest concerns for the WS this year is lack of bullpen depth and loss of speed. Guillen wanted to get faster and more defense in the offseason. I'd say they got slower and lost some leather. I know they effectively traded Everett for Thome which is not a huge dropoff in speed, but they also gave up a lot of defense and scrappy baserunning with the loss of Rowand. I have confidence in Guillen, but I am concerned that KW fell back into his back habits of obsessing over stars past their prime.

What speed did we lose? I know Rowand stole like 15 or 16 bases, but he was hardly a speed guy. Everett had speed? Maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

As far as baserunning, Rowand was flat bad, especially in the playoffs. We will miss the defense. But from everything I've heard and read, Anderson is no slouch in cf, either. I'm not as worried about the pen as I was a month ago. Assuming Hermanson is healthy, and I haven't heard any negative things of late regarding his health, we have a pen of Hermanson, B-mac, Politte, Cotts and Jenks. That's pretty damn solid right there. I'm hoping, as is everyone, that one or two of the minor leaguers/invites can step up and fill the last remaining 1 or 2 slots. Depending, of course, on if Guillen elects to go with 11 or 12 pitchers.

As far as KW obsessing over guys past their prime, I totally disagree with that. Thome just didn't wake up one day and forget how to hit. The guy averaged 48 hr's and 120 rbi's from 2001-2004. He clearly wasn't healthy last year. The elbow surgery he had last year has taken care of that problem. And everybody has said that his back is feeling as good as it ever has. I have no doubt in my mind that KW never makes the trade if he or any of his people had doubts about Thome's health. People just need to start trusting KW more. He's more than earned it.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

Let's not get overconfident now.

Last season we took everyone by suprise. The World Series isn't won on paper. They've still got to go out there, execute to the best of their abilities, and hopefully all goes well for a repeat.

But I'm expecting a greater challenge from Minnesota this season, and Cleveland will definitely be around the mark again.

The main thing I'm concerned about with Anderson replacing Rowand is how he adjusts to playing every day. He didn't hit all that well after being called up. He had the two-bomb game, but didn't seem to do all that much else.

The Sox adding Thome definitely eases some of the pressure on Anderson to hit right away, but the Sox offense still is not potent enough to carry an easy out in the 9 hole.

The Sox brass have faith in him, so I will too.....until I see reason not to..... :ph34r: :D

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)

First of all, Rowand is terrible baserunner. He makes alot of mistakes. If you are talking about pure speed, Anderson has him beat.