NFL Off-Season Rumor Mill

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor has it that the Ravens could franchise Jamal Lewis. My question is, why?

Agree 100%. Why franchise a guy who's clearly not the same was he was before a major surgery, a guy who's been in federal prison, and has a backup that put up very good numbers. Chester wouldn't cost the Ravens 6 million a year like Lewis will, and could put up better numbers than Lewis' 2005 season. The Ravens are apparently ignoring Chester who's an UFA, and will franchise Jamal. As a division rival, I have to applaud the move, but as a football fan, I have to wonder what the hell they are thinking.

It's a controversial move, but it's not that hard to figure out what they're thinking. Lewis obviously had much more talent than CT, maybe it's still there. Taylor didn't look as good towards the end of the season, and he'll command a multiyear deal, while with Lewis it's a one year, put-up-or-shut-up deal. I'm not advocating (I'm on the fence on this one), just saying that there are some good reasons.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
The world champs are being linked to Bobby Carpenter alot at the 32nd slot, and there's also alot of rumors that the Steelers could trade up in the 1st, or 2nd round because of their compensation picks they will receive.

I can't see that happening unless they trade up. Too many teams with a SLB need would have to pass on him.

I can't see that happening unless they trade up. Too many teams with a SLB need would have to pass on him.

Alot of Steelers fans are comparing a possible Carpenter pick to Heath Miller last year. Heath was known to be the Steelers target for a while, and his injury concerns dropped him from a top 10 talent down to where the Steelers could pick him. Carpenter could be the same way with his ankle injury, and the fact there are about 5-6 LB's ranked higher that could be taken in the 1st round.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
Im afraid of Randle El, Id rather get a guy like Brandon Williams in the draft than over pay a guy who has never got it consistently done as a WR. I love him as a player, just I think hes gonna get over paid and the Bears dont have the cap space.

Also I hope the Bears dont trade Thomas Jones

I'll have to agree with you about Randel El. I love him as a player and was really excited at first about the thought of having him, but after thinking about it more, I don't really think we should sign him. I'm afraid we'll overpay him, and that's not good, especially b/c he isnt' really any better of a reciever than I think Bradley will be in next year or two. Berrian isn't bad either as we saw, plus Berrian did a good job as the punt return man, so there isn't so much of a need at that spot anymore.

I think there are other positions we should address before WR, like CB, S, LB, and OL. What we don't get in FA, we'll make up for in the draft.

With all that being said, I fully expect Randel El to sign with the Bears. I'll be happy if he does, but not ecstatic.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
I think there are other positions we should address before WR, like CB, S, LB, and OL.  What we don't get in FA, we'll make up for in the draft.

With all that being said, I fully expect Randel El to sign with the Bears.  I'll be happy if he does, but not ecstatic.

How much $$ do the Bears have to spend in FA this year?