Yuliesky Gourriel defects?

Gene Honda Civic

Via BTF

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

Two Cuban peloteros would have deserted in Colombia

CARTAGENA, Colombia. - The Cuban peloteros Yulieski Gurriel and Eduardo Paret would have deserted in the Colombian port of Cartagena, seat XX the Central American Games and the Caribbean, it assured east Friday the local press.

“One of the members of the Cuban novena that deserted would be stellar the second base Yulieski Gurriel considered like one of the best ones of the world in its position. Apparently, its next destiny would be the equipment of the Yankees, New York”, informed the newspaper the Time into Bogota.

According to the newspaper, “the other deserter of the Cuban equipment would be paracorto Eduardo Paret”.

Tuesday, the Cuban sportsmen Damaris Nay, Julio Acosta and Carlos Castillo deserted in Dominican, subhost Republic for the competitions of handball in XX the Central American Games and of the Caribbean.

Automated translations are always hilarious.

Gourriel is a young stud that will clearly end up playing for one of the big budget teams, probably the Yankees. That should be quite a bidding war though.

I'm not entirely sure, but IIRC the other guy is a pretty decent pitcher as well.

Edit- my mistake, Paret is a SS, also from the national team.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Yulieski Gurriel is very very good. I like this kid alot. For some reason I bet the Red Sox and Mets (who both need a 2B) will be battling big time with the Yanks to get this kid

His natural position is 3B. he conceded that spot to the elder statesman Enriquez, who was 25, in the WBC. From what I saw, he was very raw at 2B in the WBC, but never saw him at 3B. I don't know exactly how he projects in the field.

I would figure that he needs about a year at AAA to get adjusted. He shouldn't be counted on by anyone, especially a contending team, to contribute right away. I believe he was just 21 during the WBC.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)

Sign him up now. Maybe he can learn how to play LF and send Mr Pods apacking. Countreras needs to give this kid a call on how the Yankees helped him out by sending him here.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
His natural position is 3B. he conceded that spot to the elder statesman Enriquez, who was 25, in the WBC. From what I saw, he was very raw at 2B in the WBC, but never saw him at 3B. I don't know exactly how he projects in the field.

I would figure that he needs about a year at AAA to get adjusted. He shouldn't be counted on by anyone, especially a contending team, to contribute right away. I believe he was just 21 during the WBC.

You're right on the age and position, but he's been pretty dominant in Cuba and in the WBC. I don't know if it would take a full year.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)

He is awfully talented and I do think he has the bat to make a major league roster immediately. Your right about his fielding though as his range is a bit limited at 2nd, although he's a very good defensive 3rd baseman from what I've read about him in the past.

I'm basing most of this stuff from whta I've read and a very small sample of him in the WBC though. But I do think he'd get a lot of money but I think of this more so as a Kendry Morales type move (in the sense that if he goes to a contender, like Morales did, you are best suited to give him some time to get comfortable and ready).

“One of the members of the Cuban novena that deserted would be stellar the second base Yulieski Gurriel considered like one of the best ones of the world in its position.

Sounds like a Valley Girl wrote this.

If you're the Yankees do you post a huge offer for Daisuke Matsuzuka instead, or do you go for a guy like Gourriel?

I would love to go after Gourriel though. He seems more ready though than say a Kendry Morales was when he 1st came over, and getting him would give you options if you wanted to move a Iguchi (which will probably never happen), or if Gourriel wanted to play LF, even better.

Either way, it's going to be a VERY interesting off-season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
If you're the Yankees do you post a huge offer for Daisuke Matsuzuka instead, or do you go for a guy like Gourriel?

I would love to go after Gourriel though. He seems more ready though than say a Kendry Morales was when he 1st came over, and getting him would give you options if you wanted to move a Iguchi (which will probably never happen), or if Gourriel wanted to play LF, even better.

Either way, it's going to be a VERY interesting off-season.

Why exaclty can't the Yankees go after Matsuzuka, Gourriel, and Zito all at the same time? Especially with Sheffield's contract up.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
Why cant we go after him? We wona ring with two of the most popular Cuban players in MLB history, and arguable have the biggest Cuban star heading our rotation. You better believe that has an effect on where these guys will go.

If the money is there. And we do have it now, so it's at least worth a shot.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
Why exaclty can't the Yankees go after Matsuzuka, Gourriel, and Zito all at the same time? Especially with Sheffield's contract up.

Well I think even the Yanks have limits. Let's break it down here;

Sheff's making $13M this season. Can't see them picking up his $13M option for next season at this stage.

Now when the M's signed Ichiro this is what they had to give up; He was signed to a 3 year $15M deal, AFTER the M's won the right to negotiate with him with a $13.125M bid. So that's about $17M - $18M just for that 1st season that they gave up to get him.

But that was 6 years ago. And this season's FA class isn't meant to be a great one. And Matsuzuka is younger than Ichiro was, so all in all he'll probably cost more. Teams could pay $20M or over just for the right to negotiate with him. He'll probably get around a 4 year $50M deal I would imagine.

And then you have Zito. He's a Cy Young Winner, doesn't get hurt, and he's right in his prime. He could get 5 years $75M quite easily.

So Gourriel's pretty much a luxury for them. They've got Robinson Cano at 2nd base, A-Rod at 3rd, so it's not like they need a huge upgrade there. Remember that Kendry Morales got a 6 year deal that was worth potentially up to $19M IIRC. I'd expect Gourriel to get probably more than that considering his WBC performabce.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
Why cant we go after him? We wona ring with two of the most popular Cuban players in MLB history, and arguable have the biggest Cuban star heading our rotation. You better believe that has an effect on where these guys will go.

Yeah hopefully with our Latino friendly clubhouse, and after what Contreras and Iguchi have done here, players from Cuba, Latin America and Japan would have the White Sox on the top of their list for teams that they would like to play for in the MLB.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:35 AM)
If the money is there. And we do have it now, so it's at least worth a shot.

He would be one of the best players on the team. The guy is a stud, and was a star amongst stars in the WBC. We should put all of our resources out there to get him.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He would be an excellent fit for the Sox and their leadoff struggles. I would do whatever I could to get this guy.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I think even the Yanks have limits. Let's break it down here;

Sheff's making $13M this season. Can't see them picking up his $13M option for next season at this stage.

Now when the M's signed Ichiro this is what they had to give up; He was signed to a 3 year $15M deal, AFTER the M's won the right to negotiate with him with a $13.125M bid. So that's about $17M - $18M just for that 1st season that they gave up to get him.

But that was 6 years ago. And this season's FA class isn't meant to be a great one. And Matsuzuka is younger than Ichiro was, so all in all he'll probably cost more. Teams could pay $20M or over just for the right to negotiate with him. He'll probably get around a 4 year $50M deal I would imagine.

And then you have Zito. He's a Cy Young Winner, doesn't get hurt, and he's right in his prime. He could get 5 years $75M quite easily.

So Gourriel's pretty much a luxury for them. They've got Robinson Cano at 2nd base, A-Rod at 3rd, so it's not like they need a huge upgrade there. Remember that Kendry Morales got a 6 year deal that was worth potentially up to $19M IIRC. I'd expect Gourriel to get probably more than that considering his WBC performabce.

Yeah hopefully with our Latino friendly clubhouse, and after what Contreras and Iguchi have done here, players from Cuba, Latin America and Japan would have the White Sox on the top of their list for teams that they would like to play for in the MLB.

I would have no problem giving this guy a 4 for 50 million dollar deal. NO PROBLEM AT ALL! I say sign em up and get him ready now. He would be an even better acquisition than Soriano.

Edited by southsideirish

The Angels are very interested in the 22-year-old, who can play third base, shortstop and second. During the WBC, Gourriel hit .273 with two homers, two doubles and six RBI in eight games, and he clubbed eight homers in 11 games during the 2005 World Cup.

Possible replacement for Uribe mayb?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 04:49 AM)
Possible replacement for Uribe mayb?

Hmmm, the Angels interested in that guy? With Brandon Wood, Kendry Morales, Casey Kotchman, Howie Kendrick, Orlando Cabrera, Dallas McPherson, Maicer Izturis, and probably 1 or 2 more I'm forgetting all in their infield within the next few years or already there? Yeesh, that's just silly of them.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)
He would be one of the best players on the team. The guy is a stud, and was a star amongst stars in the WBC. We should put all of our resources out there to get him.

I agree. If he does defect sometime before this offseason, he's target #1. He'd be a perfect fit, although you can't put him in LF long-term; that decreases his value, and your probably not getting the best of his athleticism.

I'd put him in Charlotte for a year, pick up Iguchi's 2007 option, and in '08, we'd have a new 2nd-bagger. It's not that I don't like Iguchi, it's just that he'd be turning 33 after the '07 season. His range isn't very good as it is, and I don't think it's likely to get better.