Top 3 web gems in White Sox history

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
I can see how it should be in the top 3, because it's so recognizable. But, the other two were better and the reason Fisk is number one is because he's much more famous than Iguchi and Uribe because....he played for the Red Sox.

Oh come on. You have way too much hate going on there.

Again, it's on the scoreboard for every game opening... it's RECOGNIZABLE (you said it yourself), that's why it was chosen #1. NOT because he was a RED SOX. It has nothing to do with it... except for someone who can't get off the east coast conspiracy.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
I can see how it should be in the top 3, because it's so recognizable. But, the other two were better and the reason Fisk is number one is because he's much more famous than Iguchi and Uribe because....he played for the Red Sox.

Maybe it's because Fisk is in the HOF?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)

Again, it's on the scoreboard for every game opening... it's RECOGNIZABLE (you said it yourself), that's why it was chosen #1. NOT because he was a RED SOX. It has nothing to do with it... except for someone who can't get off the east coast conspiracy.

I really have no hate going on here. I'm entirely calm. Fisk is as recognizable as he is because he was on the Red Sox. That play is recognizable because of Fisk. The play was number 1 because it was recognizable.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
I really have no hate going on here. I'm entirely calm. Fisk is as recognizable as he is because he was on the Red Sox. That play is recognizable because of Fisk. The play was number 1 because it was recognizable.

HATE HATE HATE!!!!!! :P

That makes sense, but don't let anyone else know I told you that. :)

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
Who cares about the order?? They got the 3 plays right at least, which is all that really matters IMO.

Well, if the other people in this thread are telling the truth about some of these other plays that I've never seen before, then the Fisk play should be dropped. But, that's another argument all together :P

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
HATE HATE HATE!!!!!! :P

That makes sense, but don't let anyone else know I told you that. :)

Deal :cheers

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)

I ain't no playa hata and I think of Fisk as a White Sox player since I grew up with him in pale hose. I also do not think it is a conspiracy by the east coast media. I just think it is typical the way their minds work. They gravitate toward certain players and teams all the time when talking about greatness. Some of it is earned but some of it is just, in the words of Hawk, "BS!"

I do not really care what ESPN says. It is obvious they do not even know they are doing it but they can't help themselves. Like New Yorkers, they are convinced there is one city in America and the sun revolves around it. In this case, they have two cities so I have to give them some credit.

The fact is the Fisk play was a lot of fun and brings back a lot of good memories from my youth. It deserves to be one of the top three web gems for the White Sox. I will even place it second ahead of Iguchi since I do not care. However, it was not an all out sprint followed by diving into the stands of an opposing team's ballpark, catching the ball, holding onto it and your clothes, and shortly thereafter making another spectacular play and winning the World Series. There is no comparison.

Now that I have settled this, we should probably close the thread.

Edited by Beltin'Bill

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
Molina was a step from 1st base when the ball got to Konerko.

So what, does he have really long legs and a gigantic step or something? He was much more than a step away from the base.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
So what, does he have really long legs and a gigantic step or something? He was much more than a step away from the base.

Unless Molina literally uses a walker (yes, he's very slow, haha), Iguchi had no choice but to throw when he did. If he waited until he hit the ground, then got to his knees and threw it, Molina would've been safe.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
Unless Molina literally uses a walker (yes, he's very slow, haha), Iguchi had no choice but to throw when he did. If he waited until he hit the ground, then got to his knees and threw it, Molina would've been safe.

I disagree, but to each his own. Either way, you saying that he was "a step from 1st base when the ball got to Konerko" is false.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)

I agree he was more than a step away...it was prolly more like 6 feet or so, however there is no way Iguchi makes that play any other way than he did. If Iguchi falls down before throwing to first Molina is safe.

Iguchi Play

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
I disagree, but to each his own. Either way, you saying that he was "a step from 1st base when the ball got to Konerko" is false.

Exaggeration, oh well. As CC said, there's no way he gets Molina out if he doesn't do exactly what he did.

EDIT: After watching the video that CC posted, Molina was about 2 to 3 steps when the ball got there. I don't care how slow Molina is, he'd have to be physically disabled to not make it to 1st if Iguchi fell on his face and then got up to throw it.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
Oye... getting a nod cause he played for Boston. Thank you for the material. He should get a good laugh out of that one. :lolhitting

If Fisk hadn't played for Boston, he'd just be another White Sox HOFer that nobody outside of Chicago really considers one of the greats. Since he played for the Red Sox, he gets mentioned in the same breath as guys like Bench and Berra. If he played only for Chicago, he'd be in the same group as Appling, Fox, and hopefully Baines. Guys that were some of the greats, but don't get much national credit.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
If Fisk hadn't played for Boston, he'd just be another White Sox HOFer that nobody outside of Chicago really considers one of the greats. Since he played for the Red Sox, he gets mentioned in the same breath as guys like Bench and Berra. If he played only for Chicago, he'd be in the same group as Appling, Fox, and hopefully Baines. Guys that were some of the greats, but don't get much national credit.

Your opinion, which I think is BS, but you're entitled to it.

Uribe's play imo has to be number 1 because of the situation, taking that into consideration that's easily the best web gem in this teams history, at least imo. I'm also of the opinion that Iguchi's play is pretty damn overrated. It was one of the best throws you'll ever see, however he brought that on himself because he tripped over his own feet. If he doesnt trip then it's a pretty routine play with Molina running.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
Uribe's play imo has to be number 1 because of the situation, taking that into consideration that's easily the best web gem in this teams history, at least imo. I'm also of the opinion that Iguchi's play is pretty damn overrated. It was one of the best throws you'll ever see, however he brought that on himself because he tripped over his own feet. If he doesnt trip then it's a pretty routine play with Molina running.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Uribe's play is the best defensive play in franchise history. I wonder if ESPN will then do the top 3 home runs in franchise history?