Would you trade Buehrle for Andruw Jones ?

WHITESOXRANDY

Sox fans, would you be willing to trade Mark Buehrle for Andruw Jones staright up right now.

They'll both be free agents at the end of the year and probably neither will be re-signed by either team.

The Sox would be short a starting pitcher. They would either have to sign one of the remaining free agents or turn the spot over to Haeger / Floyd / Broadway / Phillips.

Jones ofcourse solve the CF problem for this year and allows the Sox to keep Anderson as a 4th Ofer and he can mature and help the team at the same time.

Bad idea or great idea ? Would Kenny do it ? Would Atlanta do it ?

If you think the Sox should and you want them to fill a spot with a F.A. pitcher, which one would be a good sign ?

Sorry, I tried to make it a poll question.

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY

No, we need pitching going into next season.

And to me there's a much better chance we'd be able to maybe re-sign Buehrle and not much of a chance at all we'd be able to re-sign Jones.

If we are moving MB, I want a stud young pitcher in return.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
Sox fans, would you be willing to trade Mark Buehrle for Andruw Jones staright up right now.

They'll both be free agents at the end of the year and probably neither will be re-signed by either team.

The Sox would be short a starting pitcher. They would either have to sign one of the remaining free agents or turn the spot over to Haeger / Floyd / Broadway / Phillips.

Jones ofcourse solve the CF problem for this year and allows the Sox to keep Anderson as a 4th Ofer and he can mature and help the team at the same time.

Bad idea or great idea ? Would Kenny do it ? Would Atlanta do it ?

If you think the Sox should and you want them to fill a spot with a F.A. pitcher, which one would be a good sign ?

i would trade buehrle for jones. i think jones can help us more than buehrle but i dont think this move would make sense for the braves

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
Jones has a 5/10 no trade exemption. He'd had to approve it.

i dont see why he wouldnt waive it to go to the sox. its not like the braves will resign him. plus, its his FA year, if he played at the cell he would put up monster numbers, therefore he would get a bigger contract.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
i dont see why he wouldnt waive it to go to the sox. its not like the braves will resign him. plus, its his FA year, if he played at the cell he would put up monster numbers, therefore he would get a bigger contract.

His family is well entrenched in Atlanta and he wouldn't want to move them in consecutive years?

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)

Nope. Nope. Aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd nope.

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO! If we trade pitching we DAMN well better get pitching in return.

If we dont no we have BMc moved to the 4th spot in his first full season as a starter and the 5th spot would end up to who? Haegar/ Floyd? Is it necessary to add a big bat to a teamthat is already powerful? NO.

PITCHING, PITCHING and more PITCHING!

We are much better off with Mark Buerhle in 2007 then we are Jones. Everyone got there wish of BMac being inserted into the rotation, no disrespect to Gavin Floyd but after last year he is much better off learning how to improve his pitching mechanics either in our bulpen or triple a to be even considered placed into the rotation.

I agree with Aboz, we have a much better chance at re-signing him than A Jones. I think KW should keep the rotation as is for now as we have a legitimate shot at contending for a title.

KW isn't going to do much in this offseason other than possibly aqcuire a backup catcher and maybe 1 or 2 veteran relievers. Hey Scott Showenwiess is available, maybe we can take another look at him for our pen. Thoughts?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
Quality Young Pitching.

Draft it. Trade for it. Develop it. Just get it.

KW and the Sox have found this out now from the current market. If Buehrle is dealt, it'll be for quality young pitching.

Yup. It amazes me how many times KW has said that if he traded a pitcher it would be for young quality arms but yet people still come up with trades for position players.

Okay, I'll play devils advocate and say yes. Jones would be a monster upgrade in the lineup over Anderson or anyone else we stick out there in CF. He's a 40/120 guy with good defense who can make a difference in 162 games as opposed to 30. Buehrle struggled a lot this past season.. hell his favorite pitch was that smooth sailing changeup that got smashed 400 feet regularly. Not so sure I want to see another year of that. I have enough faith that the rest of our starters and a callup or two would be adequate enough to make the impact of losing Buehrle minimal. Plus while I dont think the Sox would have much chance to sign Jones after 07, it's pretty much a lock Mark is headed to St. Louis.

All that being said, no way in hell this deal would ever happen.

I would do it in a heartbeat. Jones is the best player at his position in baseball. The opportunity to sign him would be there and if we feel we have no shot we can move him for prospects (a much better package that we would get for MB) by July 31st. Basically you are trading for sole negoitiating rights until the deadline, after that if you are not able to sign him at 6 for $120 mil, which will be the market rate after the Wells deal, you move him to someone for prospects

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
I would do it in a heartbeat. Jones is the best player at his position in baseball. The opportunity to sign him would be there and if we feel we have no shot we can move him for prospects (a much better package that we would get for MB) by July 31st. Basically you are trading for sole negoitiating rights until the deadline, after that if you are not able to sign him at 6 for $120 mil, which will be the market rate after the Wells deal, you move him to someone for prospects

1.) The sox would have a 0% chance of re-signing Jones, he's a Boras client and Scott is taking him to free agency. Andruw is going to get a 6-7 year deal for big money as well which would be a pretty stupid move for the Sox to make seeing how Jones is already showing signs of slowing down on defense.

2.) You don't trade your starting CF, especially when he's a major impact player, at the trade deadline unless you're 10+ games out of a playoff spot. So if you make it to opening day with Andruw Jones as the Sox CF, he will remain with the time for the entire season unless the Sox totally suck next year.

Oh yeah and Carlos Beltran, Grady Sizemore and Vernon Wells > Andruw Jones.

Yes. I would have to agree with most that I wouldn't make that trade.

The only way that I would, would be if we felt confident about re-signing Jones.

Buehrle, however, will almost certainly be traded in the next 6 months. Unless, by some unlikely chance, he re-signs.

My guess is that the Sox are waiting for him to pitch well in the first half and increase his trade value while giving Haeger, Floyd, Sisco, Broadway and Gio more time to develop.

I'm not a huge A. Jones fan but on the other hand, if the Sox don't add a big time OFer soon and Dye leaves after this year, the OF will not be looking good.

The Fields, Anderson, Sweeney outfield might be fine in 2009 but we want to win in the next 2 years.