Bill Parcells Retires

Pretty interesting since he was supposed to be at the Senior Bowl. Most of his Assistants were leaving, but everyone thought he was returning. Now Dallas will have to scramble to find someone to deal with TO. Have fun Dallas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2738949

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
The rumor is the guy Jones wants is Lovie Smith.

Angelo and McCaskey better pull out a check, tell Lovie "write in your salary", and be done with it. Jerry Jones can suck an egg

I can see the craigslist ad now:

NFL Team looking for prominent head coach: Experience with overbearing/intrusive ownership a must. Opportunity to coach the most disruptive prima donna of all time. Must demonstrate ability to handle young, inexperienced QB presently on suicide watch. Expectations will be sky-high at all times.

Yup... that should have a lot of takers. Maybe Jerry Jones can lure Nick Saban back to the NFL.

Ya, you know he's going to at least try for Lovie Smith. Smith is a native Texan and I'm sure as a native Texan he has had at one point a strong fondness for the Cowboys.

That said, I really think Lovie likes Chicago and he seems to really love his team (plus he has a tremendous relationship with Angelo or so it appears).

I think Lovie will get 5yrs at 5 mill per (from the Bears).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
:unsure:

Holy s***! This Bears not wanting to talk extension crap better not come back to kick us in the nuts!

It won't. Lovie is perfectly fine with it. He has asked not to negotiate till the off-season too because the negotiation would be a complete distraction.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 12:01 PM)
Ya, you know he's going to at least try for Lovie Smith. Smith is a native Texan and I'm sure as a native Texan he has had at one point a strong fondness for the Cowboys.

That said, I really think Lovie likes Chicago and he seems to really love his team (plus he has a tremendous relationship with Angelo or so it appears).

I think Lovie will get 5yrs at 5 mill per (from the Bears).

It won't. Lovie is perfectly fine with it. He has asked not to negotiate till the off-season too because the negotiation would be a complete distraction.

Just because he was fine with it then, doesn't mean if someone comes calling with a ridiculous amount of money, he wouldn't have to listen seriously to it. What if Jones was willing to offer a record breaking deal? How does Smith turn that money down?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
Just because he was fine with it then, doesn't mean if someone comes calling with a ridiculous amount of money, he wouldn't have to listen seriously to it. What if Jones was willing to offer a record breaking deal? How does Smith turn that money down?

Well first off, Smith is not a FA. He still has one more year left on his contract (lets not forget that) so the Bears have his rights. So even if Jones offered a bazillion dollars, the Bears would have to give the Boys permission to negotiate with Smith and than obviously reach some sort of conclusion on draft pick compensation.

Basically put even if Jerry Jones offers a zillion bucks (in which case we promote Rivera and get at least a first round draft pick) we still don't do so bad, imo.

But Lovie Smith will be the coach of the Bears for a very very long long time. You can take that to the bank.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)
I have zero problem with that. If Dallas wanted to give up a 1st round pick for Lovie, you make Rivera the head coach, and you have two 1st rounders to work with.

worst idea ever.

aside from the mutiny it would cause, you don't let the coach who took your team to the superbowl for the first time in 21 years and is just getting started walk.

f*** that.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)
worst idea ever.

aside from the mutiny it would cause, you don't let the coach who took your team to the superbowl for the first time in 21 years and is just getting started walk.

f*** that.

It sounds easy to say, but say Jones offers Smith 7 years $50 million to be the coach of the Cowboys. (that is only 2 years longer and about $2 mil a season more than the guy got to coach the Falcons,with zero NFL head coaching experience, and not even a national title to his name). How do the Bears tell him he has to stay for his $1.3mil? If Jerry Jones gets desparate, nothing would surprise me. Hell the guy already brought in the timebomb of Owens, how much dumber can you get?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 01:06 PM)
Lovie has done a great job in Chicago, no doubt. However, Smith has never overly impressed me, enough to say he needs to be in Chicago forever. If you could get a 1st round pick for a coach, and have a guy like Rivera step up and take over, someone who is familiar with situation, would be great.

You can get two impact players with late 1st rounders. Like I said earlier, the NFL draft isn't the NBA.

I don't think that will happen. However, I want to point out one thing. Take a look around the NFL and you find that good coaches win and Lovie has done exactly that. This franchise is an entirely different franchise under Angelo/Smith and I'd think Bear fans of all people would realize the importance of a stable system.

With Angelo/Smith we have a duo that works great together. They both buy into the Cover 2 philosphy and a strong run oriented offense. Smith believes in giving his guys chances to succeed and is willing to play young players and Angelo is great at identifying those young players that will fit the scheme and getting them. He's also as shrewd as any GM at working the cap.

The combo the Bears have right now is amongst the best in the game and when you have that you should keep it at all costs. Rivera has done a nice job calling shots and if for some reason Lovie just demanded to go to Dallas (again, I could never envision such a scenario) than sure you make the trade and try Rivera. But lets remember one thing, this is Lovie's defense and you can see a lot of Lovie in it. However, Rivera does add his own wrinkles to the defense based on what he picked up from Buddy Ryan and Jim Johnson (of the Eagles).

Bottom line is, we need to realize how great the Bears finally have it. This organization has came a long way and is finally starting to emerge as the class of the NFL (along with the Pats & Colts...Chargers are also trying to emerge, but they have a bit more turmoil and there are other teams that are included in this such as the Broncos, Seahawks, & Eagles). Jerry Angelo and Lovie Smith should each get 5 year extensions and continue to build what I envision to be a team that is consistently competing for not only the playoffs, but Super Bowls.

Let's not jump ahead of ourselves. The reason why the Cowboys gave Parcells all the time in the world is because their backup plan, first choice for coach, was someone no one was looking at. It wasn't Lovie Smith. Now will Jerry Jones inquire about Lovie? Probably. He is a coach with deep Texas roots whose been successful so far as a head coach.

The guy I heard a couple of weeks ago, the Cowboys would be looking at is Wade Phillips. Not Lovie. All this Lovie stuff is speculation by others. Other guys the Cowboys supposedly will look into are Jeff Fisher, Bob Stoops and Norv Turner. Pete Carroll might get a call, but I doubt it. Wade Phillips is the early frontrunner though.

Edited by nitetrain8601

Why do people keep saying this isnt the NBA in reference to getting draft picks for Lovie.

Last I checked the Raiders got a boatload for John Chucky Gruden.

I believe it included 2 1st rounders and 2 second rounders.

Not sure why Lovie would not command atleast half that deal if some one is hell bent on him coaching.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)
Why do people keep saying this isnt the NBA in reference to getting draft picks for Lovie.

Last I checked the Raiders got a boatload for John Chucky Gruden.

I believe it included 2 1st rounders and 2 second rounders.

Not sure why Lovie would not command atleast half that deal if some one is hell bent on him coaching.

They are commenting that a 1st round pick (late first rounder) is still very valuable in the NFL while in the NBA a late first round pick is pretty worthless (for the most part).