Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 12:54 AM)
UNC about to pull in another nice commitment in a week or so. #7 DE Sam Montgomery added to the class, and most likely Bobbie Massie if he qualifies. Butch Davis is something else.

I'll be shocked if Massie ends up anywhere but Alabama.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 01:15 AM)
Well, who really gives a s*** what Carroll or the scouts think? Is Sanchez the only player in college football history to go pro when others thought he should have stayed longer? Does Urban Meyer turn into a little b**** if Tim Tebow had decided to bolt early? All Pete cares about is what Sanchez leaving does to his chances of winning a national title next year. That is all.

Yes im glad you know Pete Carrol personally and know exactly what he thinks. He maybe shouldnt have been so outspoken against Sanchez decision in the public but most coaches grow a connection to the kids they recruit especially the QB, Id think he has atleast some of what would be best for Sanchez himself in his mind too. And Sanchez isnt a grown ass man, he is a 21-22 year old kid who probably has an agent in his ear who without a doubt cares about nothing but money.

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 03:06 AM)
Yes im glad you know Pete Carrol personally and know exactly what he thinks. He maybe shouldnt have been so outspoken against Sanchez decision in the public but most coaches grow a connection to the kids they recruit especially the QB, Id think he has atleast some of what would be best for Sanchez himself in his mind too. And Sanchez isnt a grown ass man, he is a 21-22 year old kid who probably has an agent in his ear who without a doubt cares about nothing but money.

The argument here is pretty lame. I don't care what "numbers" Pete Carroll has that show Sanchez won't be a success in the NFL. The fact is he's going to be a top 10 pick, if not a top 5 pick, and that means he's going to get 15 to 30 million dollars in guaranteed money (probably somewhere in the 20's). He's set for the rest of his life with that, even if he isn't a good player at the pro level. If he comes back to USC, maybe he suffers a really bad injury. Now i'm sure he'd have had insurance had he come back, but I doubt it would have paid nearly as much as signing bonus, plus the insurance costs a lot of money I believe.

Pete Carroll might be right that Sanchez isn't ready and will bust in the NFL, but the guaranteed money will always be there. Plus, he's a QB so even if he's bad, he'll hang around the league for several years and make all of those annual salaries as well. The FIRST thing 99 percent of players care about is money, as much as fans hate to hear it, it's the truth, ESPECIALLY for younger guys. As a guy gets into his 30's, he might have his share of money and want to get a ring at whatever paycut he may have to take, but the younger guys want their money. And who can blame them?

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:54 PM)
UNC about to pull in another nice commitment in a week or so. #7 DE Sam Montgomery added to the class, and most likely Bobbie Massie if he qualifies. Butch Davis is something else.

How confident are you on Montgomery?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
How confident are you on Montgomery?

I'm not really in place to be confident. But several UNC guys that are close to the program have been saying he's a UNC silent commit for 2 weeks now. Teams have been trying to tell him that John Blake was leaving the program soon, but a story about him came out today to completely refute it.

His head coach said on Wednesday,

“I think he’s still very interested in South Carolina, North Carolina and LSU. He’s going to Tennessee this weekend and then I think he still has some interest in Clemson."

I would say about 70/30 with UNC/Tennessee right now in my opinion. I'm a little worried about the recruiting staff that Tennessee has put together and his visit this weekend.

As for Massie, I feel it's about 50/50 UNC/Bama at this point. He plays everything close to the vest, but a few of the same UNC sources said he will be a Heel. So we will see. Georgia and Richt could sneak in there and shock everyone.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
Looks like Terry Hawthorne to Illinois is a done deal.

http://www.illinihq.com/news/football/2009..._with_illinois/

We are STACKED at WR.

I can't wait to see what Schultz does with this passing attack.

Don't you guys also have 2 WR's coming in from East St Louis, too?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
Don't you guys also have 2 WR's coming in from East St Louis, too?

Hawthorne is ESL. There is another ESL WR, Appleton, who Illinois has a pretty good shot at too, although his decision won't really be known until he signs Wednesday. What Appleton will actually do depends on who you ask, but I think Illinois is a slight favorite (that's all a verbal means anymore in my opinion, that you are the favorite).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
Hawthorne is ESL. There is another ESL WR, Appleton, who Illinois has a pretty good shot at too, although his decision won't really be known until he signs Wednesday. What Appleton will actually do depends on who you ask, but I think Illinois is a slight favorite (that's all a verbal means anymore in my opinion, that you are the favorite).

appleton is on campus this weekend apparently.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
I would say about 70/30 with UNC/Tennessee right now in my opinion. I'm a little worried about the recruiting staff that Tennessee has put together and his visit this weekend.

I'm sure hoping that staff can work their magic this weekend and pull Montgomery... I can't wait until signing day!

four-star rb justin green out of louisville de-commits from ohio state and will sign with illinois. the illini offered him a chance to play running back (osu had him as a db) and that tilted him to champaign.

great get for illinois, particularly after some of the disappointing losses lately.

ohio state scout site

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)
four-star rb justin green out of louisville de-commits from ohio state and will sign with illinois. the illini offered him a chance to play running back (osu had him as a db) and that tilted him to champaign.

great get for illinois, particularly after some of the disappointing losses lately.

ohio state scout site

Good get for ILL and a loss for OSU, but its very strange that they would want to make him a RB, almost every recruiting site in the country has him as a DB and thats what every other school was recruiting him for. As much as kids will be kids, he hurt our recruiting by waiting till the 24th hour to decide he wants to get pounded as a RB.

Brings us down to 25 players for this class. Im hoping for Brown tomorrow to make it a positive week.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
Good get for ILL and a loss for OSU, but its very strange that they would want to make him a RB, almost every recruiting site in the country has him as a DB and thats what every other school was recruiting him for. As much as kids will be kids, he hurt our recruiting by waiting till the 24th hour to decide he wants to get pounded as a RB.

Brings us down to 25 players for this class. Im hoping for Brown tomorrow to make it a positive week.

I'll bet it ends up one of those "you can choose where you want to play" deals that ends up with him as a CB sooner than later. It's just Zook's pitch to get him, but when he realizes that there are three young backs better than him, he either transfers or switches back to a DB.

I hope the Trojans can land Te'O tomorrow. He's now down to USC, UCLA, and Utah, but I am kind of concerned about a Mormon trip that he wants to take in 2-3 years. Yet, I'm sure at that time a player behind him on the depth chart could fill in.

Also, I hope Burfict sticks with USC. I have an odd feeling he could change his mind.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:44 PM)
I hope the Trojans can land Te'O tomorrow. He's now down to USC, UCLA, and Utah, but I am kind of concerned about a Mormon trip that he wants to take in 2-3 years. Yet, I'm sure at that time a player behind him on the depth chart could fill in.

Also, I hope Burfict sticks with USC. I have an odd feeling he could change his mind.

Burfict switched to ASU earlier today.

Predictions for Michigan on Signing Day:

4* OL Quinton Washington (SC) - committed yesterday over South Carolina, Miami

4* WR Je'Ron Stokes (PA) - should go Blue over Tennessee and Illinois

4* QB Denard Robinson (FL) - should go Blue over Florida and UCF. He wants PT so Tebow coming back hurt Florida's chances. UCF is local and making a big last minute push using PT as the bait.

2* CB Adrian Witty (FL) - should go Blue. Teammate of Robinson above. Missed Jr. year and summer camps before Sr. year due to injury, so flew under the radar. High ceiling, but high risk due to the injury.

Michigan will hopefully get one of the following two DT's (getting both would be a surprise)...

4* Pearlie Graves (OK) - also looking at Texas Tech. Oklahoma flirted with him late. Also visited Tennessee. He committed to Michigan but has been very soft for a long time.

4* DaQunita Jones (MS) - another soft Michigan verbal. Also visited Tennessee, Arkansas and Auburn. Late word has it he is leaning toward Arkansas, but like Graves, the word seems to change daily.

The longest of long shots...

4* DE Sam Montgomery (SC) - North Carolina seems to lead here, but he also is looking at LSU and Tennessee. Michigan is the only school Sam's mother did not join him on the visit. I think Momma wants him to stay closer to home.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
Per Rivals, Michael Buchanan (4-star DE from Homewood-Flossmoor) picks Illinois. He and Justin Green help offset the loss of Drummond and Carradine. Let's hope Appelton stays with Illinois, too.

Appleton to Wisky. Big loss, but I'm impressed with Zook's recovery from the pretty dismal last couple of weeks. Not a great class, but not a bad one either.