Cubs may play at The Cell?

DaTank

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
It really wouldn't be that big of a deal, they usually both aren't home on the same dates very often.

Yeah, that is something that is done anyway, every year. You see the Cubs and Sox in town at the same time maybe once or twice a year. So scheduling wouldn't be a huge issue.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 07:54 AM)
It really wouldn't be that big of a deal, they usually both aren't home on the same dates very often.

Yeah, but once you start moving a game here, a game there, it becomes a ripple effect on the schedule. Im not saying its gonna be catastrophic, I was just wondering about it. They cant really plan on a day-night doubleheader Cubs and Sox because the Cubs(or Sox if they are the early team) could go into extra innings, throwing the other game into flux.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 08:01 AM)
Yeah, but once you start moving a game here, a game there, it becomes a ripple effect on the schedule. Im not saying its gonna be catastrophic, I was just wondering about it. They cant really plan on a day-night doubleheader Cubs and Sox because the Cubs(or Sox if they are the early team) could go into extra innings, throwing the other game into flux.

If you have a 1 PM game and a 7PM game, you'd be fine 99.9% of the time.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 07:34 AM)
If you have a 1 PM game and a 7PM game, you'd be fine 99.9% of the time.

The issue would be an extra inning game. Parking and traffic would be brutal. You have thousands of cars leaving the area right before you have thousands coming in.

Also, if there are rain delays and other issues, it would complicate the scheduling.

It would be possible, but it could get ugly really quick.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
The issue would be an extra inning game. Parking and traffic would be brutal. You have thousands of cars leaving the area right before you have thousands coming in.

Also, if there are rain delays and other issues, it would complicate the scheduling.

It would be possible, but it could get ugly really quick.

You could take the schedules the team has anyway, which overlaps at most one or two games, and put them together pretty easily with minimal fuss. Those 1 or 2 days, you would have to adjust, which should be no problem. If it is a problem, then you only have that double-header situation once or twice the entire season. Nothing too huge.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
And he is definately too young to remember some of the nasty crazy stuff that happened at the orginal Comiskey Park. The Picnic area was the bleacher bums before Wrigley was cool.

Yep, the good old days of drunk, shirtless working-class dudes with feathered hair and Marlboros hanging our of their mouths. I remember hearing some absolutely vile stuff about Dave Winfield's mother while enjoying an ice cream cone in the old Picnic Area.

The Cell is very suburban and tame in comparison to old CP.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 05:48 AM)
I believe its in their lease.

I'm not sure how things work in MLB, but I would think that JR & Co. would have grounds to fight it if they wanted to. Then again, I think that they'd look like a bunch of jerks if they did (although I must admit that I'd get a kick out of it).

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 07:44 AM)
Well, the Sox don't own the stadium. Are you thinking maybe their lease has some sort of first-refusal stipulation in it or something? Or maybe that JR would just use his sway with the owners to not approve such a move?

One would think that the lease contains some sort of exclusivity in favor of the White Sox, at the very least in terms of other baseball teams using the park. Simply because they lease the park doesn't mean they don't want to make it truly their home.

Should they indeed allow the Cubs to use the park as well, one would believe they would be able to negotiate some percentage of the profits would go to more renovations or new construction, or possibly directly added to the team's bottom line.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 05:50 AM)
Let em play here. Let's welcome them in with open arms and make them feel like they're at home. Turn off the jumbotron, close all parking lots, close half the bathrooms, and only sell hot dogs and popcorn at the concession stands. As an added bonus, I'll volunteer to drop bricks on people's heads periodically throughout each game.

How can they argue with hospitality like that?

For the right price the cubs will play at US Cellular. If the ISA owns both parks they'd make it worth it (ie all cubs v. Sox games are revenued as Sox home games not the Sox being the home team as far as batting last but they get all of the revenue). I also beleive they would not let the cubs or the NL opppnent use their clubhouse (ie temporary clubhouse).

The important thing is that the Iowa folks and vangabond traveler's may like what they see at US Cellular. Cub tix will be averaging over $70/each by the time all is said and done.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
You could take the schedules the team has anyway, which overlaps at most one or two games, and put them together pretty easily with minimal fuss. Those 1 or 2 days, you would have to adjust, which should be no problem. If it is a problem, then you only have that double-header situation once or twice the entire season. Nothing too huge.

For 2008, the Sox and Cubs play 12 games at home on the same day. This was less than I originally expected. Now the odd thing was 10 of those days occurred in August and 2 in April. May, June, July, and September had no overlap.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 11:56 PM)
Imagine waiting over 100 years for a world series and then win it the series at the cell. I also see the possiblility of the cell drawing 3 to 4 million in a single year.

I am not saying I care, but what if they played there one year and their fan base followed them in the same fashion they do now, setting a single season attendance record for the Cell that could not be broken unless the Sox sold out every game plus SRO. :o

You know that is far more likely than them winning the WS at the Cell or the even more remote chance of an all Chicago WS on the south side. I'd like to see someone calculate the odds of that happening.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)
There is something else to kinda think about.

Lets say there is a Cubs game at 1:05, and the Sox are playing at 7:05. How is it going to look when the Cubs draw 37,000 during the day, and the Sox have 25,000 in the park that night? I don't think it's a huge deal, but it's publicity the Sox don't really need.

I'd rather have that than the 100 Years of Futility publicity.

I wonder if Cub fans would flock to the Cell for a season.

That will be so interesting to see if they'd come to the Cell to see the team.

Cub fans are so used to taking the train to the games and all the Wrigleyville crap.

I just wonder if they would sell out the Cell? Season ticket holders probably would buy the tickets if it meant them getting taken off the list the following year. But would they go to the games?

I wonder.

Great line about a Bridgeport homeowner beating the s*** out of somebody pissing on their lawn. That would be fun to see.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 10:20 PM)
I wonder if Cub fans would flock to the Cell for a season.

That will be so interesting to see if they'd come to the Cell to see the team.

Cub fans are so used to taking the train to the games and all the Wrigleyville crap.

I just wonder if they would sell out the Cell? Season ticket holders probably would buy the tickets if it meant them getting taken off the list the following year. But would they go to the games?

I wonder.

Great line about a Bridgeport homeowner beating the s*** out of somebody pissing on their lawn. That would be fun to see.

They would still be taking the train from the northside.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 04:24 PM)

Lets say there is a Cubs game at 1:05, and the Sox are playing at 7:05. How is it going to look when the Cubs draw 37,000 during the day, and the Sox have 25,000 in the park that night? I don't think it's a huge deal, but it's publicity the Sox don't really need.

That's exactly what I was thinking too. How would it look if for the season the Cubs outdrew the Sox....by a lot.... in the Sox' ballpark? Not good.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 02:37 AM)
I didn't know a lot of Sox fans took the El to the games.

I thought most people drove. My bad.

You should try it.

Stay in the city and take the train out to the park.

You'll be up to your ears in Sox fan humanity. :lol:

QUOTE(greg775 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 02:37 AM)
I didn't know a lot of Sox fans took the El to the games.

I thought most people drove. My bad.

A TON of people do it. I do it, same route that knighni mentioned (blue to red). And even though after the game its a crowded, drunken mess, its still way easier than driving and parking (not to mention cheaper). You can also avoid the crowds a bit by walking a couple blocks east to the Green line.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 11:24 PM)

In reality, the Cubs wont sell out everday, alot of cub fans will not go to sox park, because NO BARS!!!

Its good for sox fans, we can go see Great NL teams beat up on the cubs, the cubs will hate to play by us, because of our fans.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 08:00 AM)
A TON of people do it. I do it, same route that knighni mentioned (blue to red). And even though after the game its a crowded, drunken mess, its still way easier than driving and parking (not to mention cheaper). You can also avoid the crowds a bit by walking a couple blocks east to the Green line.

I learned the Green Line trick a few years ago when I moved to Oak Park. The crowds are practically non-existant walking along the south side of 35th to the Green Line stop by De La Salle H.S. In the summer the walk home from the stop in Oak Park is really nice and a great way to work off the extra kosher and beer. :)