Crede likely to start on opening day

DBAHO

From the Trib;

TUCSON, Ariz. - Third baseman Joe Crede has timing issues that aren't limited to whether the White Sox trade him before the start of the regular season.

And those concerns need to be resolved soon because it's becoming increasingly likely that Crede rather than Josh Fields will be the team's starter on Opening Day.

Crede is a notoriously slow starter who eventually warms up by the end of spring training, but a lengthy layoff because of his season-ending back surgery has him searching for results.

"Yeah, I can tell I was laid off since June, just the timing out there," Crede said Tuesday before collecting two infield hits against San Diego. "It doesn't quite feel there, but it's coming along. It's definitely getting up to speed. The biggest thing is finding that comfort level back at the plate and on defense. When you get to that comfort level, you can start working from there."

As the Sox move closer to the March 30 deadline for finalizing their 25-man roster, with no known movement on a possible deal, it's starting to look as though Fields will be relegated to Triple-A Charlotte—at least temporarily.

Talks with San Francisco have all but ceased, particularly because the Giants wonder how much difference Crede actually can make to a team clearly behind the rest of the National League West. And surrendering a top prospect for Crede would stunt some of the rebuilding the Giants need to return to the upper echelon of the division.

The Los Angeles Dodgers are auditioning veteran Nomar Garciaparra and Tony Abreu at third since Andy LaRoche underwent hand surgery and could be lost through May. Garciaparra also is coping with a right hand injury and isn't expected to return until at least Thursday—when the Dodgers play the Sox at Phoenix Municipal Stadium.

The Dodgers have a much deeper farm system than the Giants but have been reluctant to deal their prospects while remaining competitive.

Tuesday's two hits raised Crede's spring average to .135. Crede has had no medical limitations since the start of spring training, although manager Ozzie Guillen and his staff have been careful about giving enough playing time to Crede and Fields, who would step in if Crede goes.

Fields rebounded from a 2-for-19 start and is 6-for-14 over his last four games.

Crede will have to show the same patience with his batting that he displayed in each of the previous two springs, when he finished with averages of .313 and .328 after searching to find his timing.

"I knew coming in I would have to be patient with it," Crede said. "You know you are going to fail, but it's just a matter of how fast you are able to adjust and bounce back from it."

And not worry about the possibility of getting dealt.

"Absolutely," Crede said. "That's the only thing I can control, and that's the attitude I'm going to take with this."

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya barrin any unforseen trades, Mr. stellar glove, .305 career OBP will be our 3B and Fields growth will take a hit (who knows how long) in AAA. I still have faith somethin will get done/KW letting other teams know (or believe) we would do this.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 06:08 AM)
I thought they should've dealt him in the '06 off-season, but what do I know?

They tried.

They had negotations with both the Yankees and Angels. Kenny tried to get Arod from the Yankees, so that one was a little more far fetched, but the Sox and Angels had talks, and nothing happened because of the old regimes reluctance to deal.

Williams isn't stupid, he knew he wanted to avoid this day. He also knew he couldn't just give away a fan favorite.

Get rid of his ass, already. Who cares what the return value is? Kannapolis could use another 26 year old reliever. Or whether we're eating a large percentage of his salary? It's to a point now where you have to ask yourself, is it worth keeping Crede around for a half season (at the least) because Williams demands are too high? We currently have a 3B in Fields who should be facing major league compeition. Not going back to Charlotte.

It's not as if you can guarantee Crede will outperform Fields, either. That's what makes this incredibly frustrating for me. Atleast with Uribe and the second base situation there's not exactly a prospect comparable to Fields waiting in the wings. Sure, we'd rather see Ramirez; but for a contending team (or one that thinks it is), you can only take so many chances. We're already going to have Danks and Floyd in the rotation, Owens/Anderson as a likely OF combination.

And I don't care what he's done in the past. His gimpy back and weak bat in Spring Training have put us in this position. I'm not going to be one of those people sucking his teets because of his CLUTCHNESS in 2005. I subscribe to "what have you done for me lately," and lately, everyday that passes with Crede wearing a Sox uniform is another wasted day. Be gone, son.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

This organization is a f***ing joke. They have no idea what they are doing. You can't in all good faith send Josh Fields down to AAA after the season he had last year. Not only that, but though both have struggled he's far out-performed Joe Crede in Spring Training.

This is, without a doubt, the dumbest move this franchise has ever made. They are hampering their up-and-coming star so they can audition a guy in his walk year coming off back surgery to try to squeak a prospect out of San Francisco. Not only does Crede not give us the best chance to win, but playing him severely hampers our only valuable prospect.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Why didn't we non tender his ass? Instead, we are stuck with a 3rd basemen with a bad back who can't hit and costs us 5 million bucks, hoping somebody will give us a mediocre starting pitcher for him. I can't believe how bad we have f***ed this up, even the Sox aren't this stupid normally. I'm sure it will be good for Josh to be in Charlotte for 3 weeks until Crede is either traded for mush or re-injures his back.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I may as well add, because I know Soxtalk well enough to expect certain replies, that yes; it's possible this article doesn't mean anything. There aren't any direct quotes from Williams suggesting Crede is his opening day starter. And nearly two weeks remain before rosters will be set, giving us plenty of time to ship off Crede.

I just hope we're not going to be stubborn about holding onto Crede. It'd really be a ridiculous move.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 08:24 AM)
I just hope we're not going to be stubborn about holding onto Crede. It'd really be a ridiculous move.

Yeah for sure. There aren't any quotes but we all know the stubbornness of our GM and this article is in alignment with our greatest fears.

QUOTE(Jim Spencer @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 05:34 AM)
I sure wish they would just trade him. He really has put the Sox in a tough position and he really dosen't care that he did. I sure hope he dosen't get his big payday next season.

Not sure how he put the Sox in any situation, they chose to offer him arbitration, he is just doing his job. The only way that Field can start the season in Chicago now is if Paulie is dealt. There are no takers for Crede at this point. It is possible that 3/4 of the Sox 2009 IF will start the season in Charlotte - 2B Richar, SS Ramirez, and 3B Fields. At least those guys will get used to playing with each other and Fields, as a former QB, can further develop his leadership skills until Crede is hurt/dealt.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)
This organization is a f***ing joke. They have no idea what they are doing. You can't in all good faith send Josh Fields down to AAA after the season he had last year. Not only that, but though both have struggled he's far out-performed Joe Crede in Spring Training.

This is, without a doubt, the dumbest move this franchise has ever made. They are hampering their up-and-coming star so they can audition a guy in his walk year coming off back surgery to try to squeak a prospect out of San Francisco. Not only does Crede not give us the best chance to win, but playing him severely hampers our only valuable prospect.

Absolutely ridiculous.

The fact that the Sox have not yet traded Joe Crede - and still may - is the dumbest move the franchise has ever made?

Can we have some perspective here?

This wouldnt happen in any other organization.

Its been clear they were getting nothing for a lame duck 3rd basemen, never more than a 260 hitter, with a monster for an agent, coming off surgery and playing 1 season as an audition for free agency.

To send Fields down would demoralize our only future player with star possibility.

Just get rid of Crede-

ill be shocked if fields starts in AAA...this is just posturing...if they were really gonna start crede at 3rd this year, fields would have been playing in left all spring

that said i wouldnt feel too bad if crede ends up riding the bench this year...i think even the B level compensation is more than we will get in a trade for him...and its not like the 5 mil we save by trading him will help us sign anyone at this point...i just dont know how realistic it is to let him sit the bench, but it may be the best thing for the team

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 09:09 AM)
Why am I not surprised? On the bright side, Fields could never touch a C.C. pitch, so at least Crede would likely have better at-bats on opening day.

And the funny thing is for a team that can't hit lefties we send down a guy who hit well against them.

Over/Under of Crede pop ups to the 2nd baseman on opening day. I am going with 2.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
I'm no huge Crede guy, but the pitching staff really is going to need some glovework out there this year. I mean, if the book is already closed on this year, then fine hate on this move.

But if we're awful by June, you'll see Fields up and playing anyway, so who cares?

Because we have a rookie who hit 23 home runs last year, and needs to progress against major league pitching. I am worried about retarding his growth. That league is the same league where Brian Anderson is a 300 hitter. Where Jeremy Reed looked like Wade Boggs, and Felix Diaz was Cy Young.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)
Because we have a rookie who hit 23 home runs last year, and needs to progress against major league pitching. I am worried about retarding his growth. That league is the same league where Brian Anderson is a 300 hitter. Where Jeremy Reed looked like Wade Boggs, and Felix Diaz was Cy Young.

And Josh Fields still plays 3B like Cory Snyder.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
I'm no huge Crede guy, but the pitching staff really is going to need some glovework out there this year. I mean, if the book is already closed on this year, then fine hate on this move.

But if we're awful by June, you'll see Fields up and playing anyway, so who cares?

I believe we only have one starter who would be considered a ground ball pitcher. Fields D at 3b is the least of our worries this season.