UNDER AGE DRINKERS BEWARE!

J-MAN

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
Honestly, I have no problem with this. I've maybe had 1 or 2 beers at a tailgate before but that's it. If I'm going to a Sox game, I'm going to watch the game, not to get hammered(I'm sure you have something witty to say, Kenny).

Getting hammered at a sports game is for amateurs...or Cubs 'fans'.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 10:49 PM)
Getting hammered at a sports game is for amateurs...or Cubs 'fans'.

Depends on what kind of sporting event it is and how you act when drunken. I mean, who wouldn't show up drunk to a D-II football game?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 12:16 AM)
If you can be 18 and get recruited to fight in the army and are trusted with automatic weapons while drinking, then you should be able to have a beer or 25 too.

/thread. And I don't give a s*** what anyone else says.

fixed.

There are a lot of things an 18 year old can do when not drinking, that become a problem when they start drinking. Shooting automatic weapons is a great example. The military doesn't trust you to shoot automatic weapons or drive a tank after a few drinks.

It's all about ages and stages. There are sixteen year olds that would do a better job voting then 18 or 21 year olds, but as a society we do not believe that the majority of 16 year olds would be.

But I agree, if you are in the military, you should be allowed to drink.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 06:11 AM)
fixed.

There are a lot of things an 18 year old can do when not drinking, that become a problem when they start drinking. Shooting automatic weapons is a great example. The military doesn't trust you to shoot automatic weapons or drive a tank after a few drinks.

It's all about ages and stages. There are sixteen year olds that would do a better job voting then 18 or 21 year olds, but as a society we do not believe that the majority of 16 year olds would be.

But I agree, if you are in the military, you should be allowed to drink.

Well we could all sit around and talk about what should be, and that's fine. But the simple fact is that it is against the law to drink under the age of 21 and the Sox and their organization back that law, as any business would. To whine about makes no sense at all.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
Well we could all sit around and talk about what should be, and that's fine. But the simple fact is that it is against the law to drink under the age of 21 and the Sox and their organization back that law, as any business would. To whine about makes no sense at all.

Truth.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
If you can be 18 and get recruited to fight in the army and are trusted with automatic weapons, then you should be able to have a beer or 25 too.

/thread. And I don't give a s*** what anyone else says.

Whether the law is fair or not, its still an active law. How many of the underage drinkers would openly drink in public in front of uniformed police officers. The answer is only the truly stupid, or truly drunk would do that. Well under those security shirts, those are off duty cops. If they ignore kids getting liquored up, and something happens with those kids doing something stupid, or worse off someone gets hurt via the actions of a drunk underage kid and they can prove that the security gave a wink and a blind eye to open alcohol and underage drinking those cops, the whitesox, and the security company are screwed. You know how sue happy this country is.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
Whether the law is fair or not, its still an active law. How many of the underage drinkers would openly drink in public in front of uniformed police officers. The answer is only the truly stupid, or truly drunk would do that. Well under those security shirts, those are off duty cops. If they ignore kids getting liquored up, and something happens with those kids doing something stupid, or worse off someone gets hurt via the actions of a drunk underage kid and they can prove that the security gave a wink and a blind eye to open alcohol and underage drinking those cops, the whitesox, and the security company are screwed. You know how sue happy this country is.

So now I'm curious...if an officer knows a person is say, 20 years old, and has had 4-5 beers or so - feeling good, but not sloshed - and they are acting civilized and what have you...would he potentially say something like "Don't open another beer and you're fine"?

Obviously, 0 underage drinking at the game is ideal, but I imagine it would be inefficient and costly to attempt to arrest every underage drinker. I understand the liability issue of it all, but it just seems to me that in some cases it's a judgment call.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
So now I'm curious...if an officer knows a person is say, 20 years old, and has had 4-5 beers or so - feeling good, but not sloshed - and they are acting civilized and what have you...would he potentially say something like "Don't open another beer and you're fine"?

Obviously, 0 underage drinking at the game is ideal, but I imagine it would be inefficient and costly to attempt to arrest every underage drinker. I understand the liability issue of it all, but it just seems to me that in some cases it's a judgment call.

There is certainly judgement involved, and being reasonable. They can't police everyone and everything anyway. But if I'm 18 and have a drink (which I did plenty of times at that age), while I might be pissed off if I get caught, I know full well that I took that chance. I broke the law. I don't get pissed at the cops for doing their job.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 11:21 AM)
There is certainly judgement involved, and being reasonable. They can't police everyone and everything anyway. But if I'm 18 and have a drink (which I did plenty of times at that age), while I might be pissed off if I get caught, I know full well that I took that chance. I broke the law. I don't get pissed at the cops for doing their job.

Oh absolutely, I'd be more pissed at myself then anything else; people generally don't like to verbally abuse themselves in public, so they'll do it on policemen. I just wanted to see if my original thoughts were actually true.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
If it so bothers people that the drinking age is 21, then why don't you make use of a real, actual RIGHT - and get involved in the political process to elect officials who agree with you?

Finally, someone had to say it. QFT, solid post.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Finally, someone had to say it. QFT, solid post.

Actually, I think everyone here realizes that. It's a person's right to disagree with why, and it's a person's right to get involved. I don't feel that strongly about it because I feel I can do it and get away with it. If I get caught, it's only my fault.

I also feel that in certain circumstances - most circumstances - the drinking age being 18 would be a hindrance to society. Most "adults" at 18-20 are still teenagers at heart and like to break s***, be rebellious, and be uncivilized - not being ready for adulthood has that effect. I also think drinking underage and going crazy as an 18-20 year old is, in a way, better because if you do get caught, you will be punished and you'll understand the consequences of acting like a dumbass (public intoxication is illegal too, but it's not nearly as severe as getting a MIP or an underage). Furthermore, letting the drinking age be 18 opens up the possibility of getting 14-15 year olds into the habit too because kids at that age do talk to 18 year olds, just as I talk to 23 year olds.

So, I'll take my chances, understand my rights, privileges, and laws, and continue drinking underage. Is it really that big of a deal?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
If it so bothers people that the drinking age is 21, then why don't you make use of a real, actual RIGHT - and get involved in the political process to elect officials who agree with you?

They need a picture ID

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)
Actually, I think everyone here realizes that. It's a person's right to disagree with why, and it's a person's right to get involved. I don't feel that strongly about it because I feel I can do it and get away with it. If I get caught, it's only my fault.

I also feel that in certain circumstances - most circumstances - the drinking age being 18 would be a hindrance to society. Most "adults" at 18-20 are still teenagers at heart and like to break s***, be rebellious, and be uncivilized - not being ready for adulthood has that effect. I also think drinking underage and going crazy as an 18-20 year old is, in a way, better because if you do get caught, you will be punished and you'll understand the consequences of acting like a dumbass (public intoxication is illegal too, but it's not nearly as severe as getting a MIP or an underage). Furthermore, letting the drinking age be 18 opens up the possibility of getting 14-15 year olds into the habit too because kids at that age do talk to 18 year olds, just as I talk to 23 year olds.

So, I'll take my chances, understand my rights, privileges, and laws, and continue drinking underage. Is it really that big of a deal?

Part of the problem is...21 is an arbitrary number. there are some 18 year olds who can hold their liquor or just don't want to drink. And then there are 58 year olds that are alcoholics. Unfortunately, there had to be a number and 21 was considered to be that number.

soo, if you want to drink...go ahead, but be prepared for the consequences...whatever age you are.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Stupid how? Like how more people die from tylenol each year than marijuana?

Which is the only purpose of Tylenol :unsure:

Are you including people who are, for example, high and fall off a balcony during Spring break?