Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 12:23 AM)
You just opened Pandora's Box with the Illini fans.

not really. we're not all that reactionary like kans... er, "other" fans.

minnesota is to be commended for their program and they do indeed have a very bright future. i think next year you will have some very, very strong teams in the league. michigan state, minnesota, illinois, ohio state, purdue, michigan, and wisconsin will all return some good players and/or add solid recruits.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
wtf is going on with the refs in this game? what was that shot clock call? i'm guess since they missed whether it was a violation and there was no time left on the clock they just gave them the ball with one second.

I can't believe Izzo hasn't been tossed. Terribly officiated game.

Well here is how I would rank the Big 10 now:

1. MSU

2. Purdue/ Minnesota

4. Illinois

--------------------- (Above 4 are in NCAA tournament as of now)

5. Wisconsin

6. Michigan

7. OSU

--------------------- (Above 3 are bubble)

8. Penn State

9. Iowa

10. Indiana

11. Northwestern

There is still a lot of season to be played but thats how I see it right now.

Pssh. Purdue has shown me absolutely nothing to deserve any ranking or expectation that they'll compete for a conference title. Their only good win is against Wisconsin at home. Davidson is not a top 25 team - that ranking is all about Curry and TV numbers. Recently they've lost to Penn State and escaped Northwestern on luck.

I'd rank them like this:

MSU

Illinois/Wisky

Minnesota/Michigan

Penn State/Purdue

OSU

Iowa

Northwestern

Indiana

I think 2-5 is a toss up though. MSU is good only because of their athleticism, not because of skill or ability to run offensive sets. Illinois and Wisky are kind of the same team. They lack the athleticism but they have skill players that know how to play. Minnesota is still a big question mark. No big win (Louisville is also overrated IMO) but no terrible loss either. Michigan is good if they hit their shots, average if they don't.

To me Purdue is Illinois' football team this year. They came in with a lot of questionable hype. They overachieved last year, and are underperforming this year. I see them being average the rest of the way, with the ability to put a good win in at some point.

Penn State looks to be a dangerous team because they play good D and can shoot. Sort of like Michigan.

OSU is too banged up with no leader. Iowa and Northwestern just lack talent. And Indiana well...everything a bad basketball team is they have.

I'll say the league gets in 6 - MSU, IL, WI, MN, MI and PU.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 01:27 AM)
If Illanoy and MSU played on a neutral court, Illanoy win 8/10 times.

No way...MSU played as bad as they possibly could for the first 30 minutes today. I've never seen them have more unforced turnovers. MSU is too good on the boards to be dominated in a 10 game series by the Illini.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 12:30 AM)
No way...MSU played as bad as they possibly could for the first 30 minutes today. I've never seen them have more unforced turnovers. MSU is too good on the boards to be dominated in a 10 game series by the Illini.

Not debating the series, but Illinois was in the same boat. McCamey had the worst game of basketball he'll ever play, Meacham couldn't put a ball into the ocean and Legion had a bunch of unthinkable unforced TOs. All and all it was an ugly game.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
Anybody see the dunk in the Miami-UNC game just now? That was ridiculous.

Ellington is just killing us. It's not even funny how the guy wont miss this half.

I also like how ACC refs call fouls if you breathe on Hansbrough. Then the moment he misses a shot he looks straight at the ref looking for the foul. It'll give me great pleasure to see him washout of the NBA within 3 seasons and playing for some team in Greece.