Swish Traded to the Yankees

Steve9347

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
I think at least now they're taking steps to rectify that, and our draft haul this year was probably the best it's been for about 5 seasons at least.

Still I'd like to get them more involved in Latin America.

The White Sox ranked 23rd in shelling out bonus money for the 2008 draft. Not that I think its being cheap, I think most of these picks get way too much money, but it is the way the game is played. If you really want a nice system you have to put your money where your mouth is.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 12:22 PM)
The last paragraph on Nunez is the exact thing that Coop preaches. He could be an interesting darkhorse to this deal.

We heard the same thing about Jacob Rasner. Nick Masset was supposed to be a stud. David Aardsma turned a corner with the Cubs. If the Sox get anything from these 2 pitchers, its total gravy. Getting rid of Swisher before his contract goes from reasonable as some here say, to untradeable without eating most of it is something for KW to hang his hat on.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
Not sure if this has been posted or mentioned yet, but Rosenthal wrote an article which sort of backs up what many here think about the trade, i.e., that it is a prelude to something else, this morning.

Here is the link.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8793068...3162&ATT=49

Someone wrote this as a comment at the end of the article

Answer me this Mr Rosenthal:

If the Sox nix Getz, do they getz Nix or if the nix Nix, do the getz Getz?

:lol:

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
I was bothered by it. You didn't see Paul Konerko do that. You also saw how BA turned his attitude around, etc. I liked Swisher too, but I agree he wasn't the fit we thought we were getting. Building the winning team is what it is all about

Ha!!! Konerko is by far one of the biggest pouters in recent history.

The White Sox get … well, it's hard to see what they saw in this package of players. Wilson Betemit can fill in at several positions, but his plate discipline is poor and he can't hit left-handers at all; he's a fair utility player, but barring an age-27 power surge or a sudden interest in playing defense, that's all. Right-hander Jeff Marquez has to be one of the most overhyped Yankee prospects in recent memory; he's ordinary, with an average fastball that has some sink and an inconsistent but occasionally above-average split-change, but limited feel for pitching. He could be a middle reliever, especially if he stops throwing his mediocre curve, but that's probably it, and he doesn't have anything to miss bats. (Of course, the White Sox will immediately teach him a cutter, so stay tuned.) Right-hander Jhonny Nunez also profiles as a middle reliever, with a little more fastball than Marquez has and a tighter slider, but below average command and control and a longish arm action that may make command difficult for him.

The White Sox gave up Gio Gonzalez, Faustino de los Santos, Ryan Sweeney and $3.5 million, and their return is one year of Swisher plus Betemit, Marquez and Nunez. That's an impressive run of trading down in value.

Keith Law's take

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
The White Sox ranked 23rd in shelling out bonus money for the 2008 draft. Not that I think its being cheap, I think most of these picks get way too much money, but it is the way the game is played. If you really want a nice system you have to put your money where your mouth is.

Still if you compare who we drafted in 2008 compared to say 2006 with Beckham, Danks and Upchurch up against Kyle McCullough, money isn't exactly the end all to be all, if you can find and draft the right players.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
Still if you compare who we drafted in 2008 compared to say 2006 with Beckham, Danks and Upchurch up against Kyle McCullough, money isn't exactly the end all to be all, if you can find and draft the right players.

I think when the dust settles on the 2008 draft, it will be Gordon Beckham and a bunch of minor league filler. I'm not sold on Danks although he has hit ever since he signed. Picking KW's son as high as they did shows there still is a problem with the system.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
I think when the dust settles on the 2008 draft, it will be Gordon Beckham and a bunch of minor league filler. I'm not sold on Danks although he has hit ever since he signed. Picking KW's son as high as they did shows there still is a problem with the system.

Theres a couple of arms that may make an impact though.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
2 - The AFL is a hitter's paradise, so it doesn't really shock me to see Danks doing so well there also.

On the other hand... there are alot of supposedly very good hitters in the AFL who were drafted ahead of Danks, or have AA and AAA experience, who are not hitting nearly as well as he is.

So... we can revert to the small sample size argument... but just saying he should be hitting this well (.341 BA/.417 OBP) because he's in a hitters league really isn't true.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)
On the other hand... there are alot of supposedly very good hitters in the AFL who were drafted ahead of Danks, or have AA and AAA experience, who are not hitting nearly as well as he is.

So... we can revert to the small sample size argument... but just saying he should be hitting this well (.341 BA/.417 OBP) because he's in a hitters league really isn't true.

My thoughts exactly. There are many draft picks that were considered more ready hitter than arent producting quite like Danksy is. For example, Brett Wallace will probably always outslug Danks, but Jordan is out hitting him in OBP and BA and is striking out less.

Wanna see something else great though, check out GBeck's splits. 1.027 OPS vs LHP 1.194 OPS vs RHP. He's also hitting .563 with RISP

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)

Ok that's a good point, and I didn't know how well other hitters were doing there.

I am just going to lower expectations on Jordan for me. He reminds me a lot of Jeremy Reed and Ryan Sweeney, and those guys have made the majors, but they're not going to be difference makers.

Danks is going to have to develop power, if he wants to be a good starting OF player. Whether that happens or not, we'll have to wait and see.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
If the Cuban signs, the Sox basically acquired 3 1st round picks in Beckham, Danks, and Viciedo. Not a bad start in re-stocking the system.

And assuming we don't sign a type A guy this offseason and we offer arbitration to Uribe and Cabrera, we're at least looking at a late first rounder this year, 2 sandwich picks, a 2nd rounder, and a pick that's either a late first or early 2nd rounder also.

From a baseball prospectus chat. And it echoes my thoughts on this:

YankeesFan ((NY,NY)): WHAT A DEAL FOR THE YANKS!!!!

Steven Goldman: A lot like this here in the chat queue. I think that is the one aspect of this that's pretty wonderful regardless of what happens with Teixeira. The Yankees gave up Jeff Marquez, who seems a good bet to never pitch in the big leagues, dealt a pitching prospect for another who looks even better who doesn't have to be put on the 40-man, and Wilson Betemit, who played his way off the team. What's not to love about that?

Here's my take. I like Swish, just do, didn't like what he gave us last year, but was just as furious that he didn't play over wise at the end just like he was I'm sure. And I don't care what D. Wise did for us, it was still not worth trying, when you trade for a guy like swish you have to stick with him, just do if he's not hurt.

Now take that for what it is. I'm fine with Swish being gone if that what the team needed. I'm fine with this.

Also I love kenny much more than I hate him, BUT these deals where he almost always loses on paper just drive me insane, Somehow it hasn't bitten us yet, but its the fact of not getting what you could and we lose overall depth that is worrisome. I just wish he had waited till the winter meetings where i think he could have done better, anybody who thinks any of these 3 guys (specially the pitchers) will amount to much to help us win a title, please pray hard.

So I don't like the trade, but I don't like many that seem to work out or be neutral for us, we will see. Should countinue to be a fun offseason and I hope we get something done that is a bit more contstructive for this team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)
And assuming we don't sign a type A guy this offseason and we offer arbitration to Uribe and Cabrera, we're at least looking at a late first rounder this year, 2 sandwich picks, a 2nd rounder, and a pick that's either a late first or early 2nd rounder also.

I'm pretty sure KW is going to push hard for Hudson. However, losing OC would balance that out.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
Why is it when we are talking about potential trade value of our players they are always worthless, until we actually do trade one of them and we never get enough for them?

Its the catch 22. According to some here, you aren't supposed to trade a guy when his value is low, but if you trade a guy when his value is high and his numbers are great and he's helping the team win, your sanity will be questioned as well. Personally, I like KW ridding his team of players who don't perform.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
Why is it when we are talking about potential trade value of our players they are always worthless, until we actually do trade one of them and we never get enough for them?

:lolhitting :notworthy Shhhh you're making sense.

No seriously, we need to trade guys with value and keep the guys that suck, so the team will not suck :wacko: