Dye to Reds Speculation

VenomSox

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
This sounds a lot like a KW move. Trading for a pitcher that was a first round pick whose value has considerably declined. I wouldn't be surprised if this were to happen.

Totally agree. I'd just be surprised if KW didn't get something else in addition to Bailey along with JD.

Bailey's stock may be down, but look where Gavin Floyd was in people's minds a year ago at this time.

I'm not saying this would be a great trade, but I wouldn't bash it right off the bat either.

I think with these Dye rumors pretty rampant, he'll be moved by the end of the winter meetings.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)
If we trade Dye and don't get a CF elsewhere during the offseason, we'll probably see Jerry Owens out there to start the season.

Hopefully Danks runs through the minors next year, because speedy no hit guy who needs a cutoff to throw to 2nd isnt a real option in center for a long period of time.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
If the trade is announced by the media, KW never does it. He keeps it totally under the radar.

I dont think this one was supposed to be leaked. It was heard from a Reds front office worker.

I think if you can grab a young arm like Bailey, you do it. I also think KW is targeting (people are going to hate this and talk about his personal life) Ryan Freel for CF and lead off in this deal.

Freel has only played in 123 games in the past 2 seasons. Looks like he's a utility player on the Reds, backing up Corey Patterson. Plus he's 32. I can't imagine that would be the other player.

Edited by G&T

Kenny has proved in the past to make deals for young pitching and it usually pans out to our benefit. However, I hope he waits around to see where the market goes before he shops Dye. The only team I would actively talk to would be Tampa. Edwin Jackson for JD would be awesome. Im sure Tampa would consider that if we eat about half of JDs contract.

Here are the Reds' top 20 prospects in review from Sickels FWIW;

1) Jay Bruce, OF, Grade A

.364/.393/.630 line in Triple-A led to major league promotion. Plate discipline has held him back to .267/.320/.407 in the majors, but hard to complain overall.

2) Johnny Cueto, RHP, Grade A-

I got a lot of email flack about ranking Cueto ahead of Bailey. He's been somewhat erratic at 7-10, 5.02 with a 116/47 K/BB in 129 innings, but he's better than Bailey.

3) Joey Votto, 1B, Grade A-

.275/.344/.447 with 13 homers. He's capable of even more.

4) Homer Bailey, RHP, Grade B+

4.42 with 82/38 K/BB in 94 innings in Triple-A, 6.52 with 11/13 K/BB in 29 innings in the majors. Both his velocity and command have been erratic and it is hard to know what to expect.

5) Todd Frazier, SS-3B, Grade B+

Dominated the Midwest League at .321/.402/.598. Promoted to Florida State League and has done well at .290/.372/.459. Double-A next year will tell us a lot.

6) Matthew Maloney, LHP, Grade B

4.19 ERA with 107/32 K/BB in 112 innings, 105 hits allowed. Doing OK overall, good control, gives up some homers, fourth starter type.

7) Devin Mesoraco, C, Grade B

.280/.329/.436 for Dayton in the Midwest League. Plate discipline has been shaky, but overall this is good for the pitching-dominated Midwest League.

8) Drew Stubbs, OF, Grade B-

.261/.366/.406 with 27 steals for Sarasota in the FSL. Promoted to Double-A, is at .296/.397/.352 so far. Impressive speed and defense, draws some walks, strikes out alot, power disappointing.

9) Neftali Soto, SS-3B, Grade B-

.388/.423/.746 in the Pioneer League,.323/.346/.510 in the Midwest League. Impressvie bat, plate discipline an issue but hasn't hurt him yet.

10) Kyle Lotzkar, RHP, Grade B-

3.86 ERA with 48/24 K/BB in 35 innings for Dayton. Love the K/IP, will have to sharpen control.

11) Daniel Dorn, OF, Grade B-

.260/.354/.533 for Double-A Chattanooga. Sleeper pick showing good power.

12) Jared Burton, RHP, Grade C+

2.23 ERA with 50/17 K/BB in 48 innings with the Reds. Have to be happy with that.

13) Tyler Pelland, LHP, Grade C+

4.06 ERA with 51/28 K/BB in 44 innings for Triple-A Louisville. Not great obviously, though K/IP is promising.

14) Pedro Viola, LHP, Grade C+

5.54 ERA with 59/27 K/BB in 52 innings for Chattanooga, 60 hits allowed. Good K/IP, other marks unimpressive.

15) Travis Wood, LHP, Grade C+

Did well at Sarasota (2.70, 41/21 K/BB in 47 innings) but has struggled in Double-A, 6.58 ERA with 45/31 K/BB and 59 hits in 52 innings makes an uneasy transition.

16) Josh Roenicke, RHP, Grade C+

Combined 2.70 ERA with 53/17 K/BB in 47 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 12 saves. Looks like he can help in pen soon.

17) Scott Carroll, RHP, Grade C+

3.30 ERA with 55/17 K/BB in 71 innings for Sarasota, 76 hits. Good command, Double-A transition may not be overly easy.

18) Chris Valaika, INF, Grade C+

.297/.349/.440 in 75 games for Chattanooga. Looks pretty solid, would like to see more walks.

19) Adam Rosales, 1B, Grade C+

.265/.320/.421 in Triple-A. He could be capable of better and is defensively versatile.

20) Sean Watson, RHP, Grade C+

6.55 ERA with 29/20 K/BB in 22 innings in Double-A. Good stuff, command is obviously a big problem right now.

21) Brandon Waring, 3B, Grade C+

,284/.362/.498 for Dayton, but with a 33/117 BB/K in 327 at-bats. Big power potential but contact will be a problem.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
Kenny has proved in the past to make deals for young pitching and it usually pans out to our benefit. However, I hope he waits around to see where the market goes before he shops Dye. The only team I would actively talk to would be Tampa. Edwin Jackson for JD would be awesome. Im sure Tampa would consider that if we eat about half of JDs contract.

I'd honestly rather have Bailey than Edwin Jackson.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)

I disagree.

I'd much rather Wade Davis.

Jackson peripherals indicate he wouldn't be a success at the Cell, and he'd probably give up too many HR's.