(Insert Celeb Here) is Dead

knightni

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Storm Thorgerson passes away at age 69 from cancer. For those unaware of him, he designed the cover art for many of the greatest albums ever recorded with his most famous probably being The Dark Side of the Moon. Designed albums covers for Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Audioslave, Muse, Steve Miller Band, Peter Gabriel, Phish and many others. As a huge Pink Floyd, this is rather sad news to me.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)
Storm Thorgerson passes away at age 69 from cancer. For those unaware of him, he designed the cover art for many of the greatest albums ever recorded with his most famous probably being The Dark Side of the Moon. Designed albums covers for Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Audioslave, Muse, Steve Miller Band, Peter Gabriel, Phish and many others. As a huge Pink Floyd, this is rather sad news to me.

Storm was a creative powerhouse for sure, but the majority of the album covers being attributed to him were actually products of his Hipgnosis graphic design group but Storm was not necessarily the principal artist. Even the Dark Dide of the Moon cover with which he is best associated was not actually drawn by him although the original design came from him.

Another bit of trivia. . . The blue car Gabriel is sitting in on th cover of PG1 was actually owned by Storm.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)
Folksinger, Richie Havens, 72. He was the opening act at Woodstock.

Very sad news, I hadn't seen this yet. On the heels of Alvin Lee that makes two of the most powerful Woodstock performers we have lost in the last couple of weeks.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
Who's gonna fill his shoes?

Nobody. Country music is on life support and has been for quite some time. The only true country artist left are the ones that have been doing it for 50 years. Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard and others are all pushing 80 and once they go country music will be officially dead.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 06:49 AM)
Nobody. Country music is on life support and has been for quite some time. The only true country artist left are the ones that have been doing it for 50 years. Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard and others are all pushing 80 and once they go country music will be officially dead.

Loretta Lynn is 81 and still kicking. I don't think she's released anything for since 2004, but it was good.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
Maybe Charlie Daniels?

Yea Charlie is still out there, but he's in his late '70s too. Once that generation is gone, which realistically will be another 10 years or so, bye bye country music. I did see Charlie Daniels a couple years back and that man still puts on one hell of a show.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
Expound. And what about the middle generation with Strait and Jackson?

I was kidding more or less. Honestly I've not listened to a ton of Eric Church, but from what I have heard he is at least tolerable. It just seems like Nashville spits out these carbon copy "artists" left and right. I don't remember where I heard it or who said it, but somebody said "to be a country star these days, all you have to do is work out 7 days a week and look good in a ten gallon hat. Merle Haggard would have no chance these days." And honestly I think he's right. Eric Church does seem to fit that mold less than others in my limited experience with him. I do believe he does at least contribute to the writing of the majority of his songs which I do like. I would say the majority of artist out there today don't do that. Guys like Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard did play a lot of covers, but the majority of the songs that made them who they were, were written by themselves.

As far as the middle generation goes, it was the beginning of the end in my opinion. While George Strait, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks and the like had some great songs, they really helped bring country music to the mainstream and as it went to the mainstream it became more and more what I call "Pop Country".

I certainly don't mean any disrespect to any of these artist. I encourage everyone to listen to what they want to listen to, this is just my take on it.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)
Yea Charlie is still out there, but he's in his late '70s too. Once that generation is gone, which realistically will be another 10 years or so, bye bye country music. I did see Charlie Daniels a couple years back and that man still puts on one hell of a show.

I got meet him and his band about 10 years ago. Great guys and an awesome show.