Tour de France Thread

I believe Joseba Beloki is the only one of those five TDF riders to have never been suspended for doping.

Also, I would wager the reason that Lance is backing down is that George Hincapie was going to testify against Lance. Stripping the yellow jerseys this way doesn't lose him his endorsements. Stripping it by exposing him as a fraud costs him more than a few trophies in his case.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
I believe Joseba Beloki is the only one of those five TDF riders to have never been suspended for doping.

Also, I would wager the reason that Lance is backing down is that George Hincapie was going to testify against Lance. Stripping the yellow jerseys this way doesn't lose him his endorsements. Stripping it by exposing him as a fraud costs him more than a few trophies in his case.

Can you explain who that is?

I've always been suspicious of him. Some of it because of his comeback and some because of the dirty sport that is cycling.

But what he's done outside of cycling was probably worth the cheating part of his career.

This sport is so dirty its not even funny. They should just embrace the cheating and let the guys ride. It's basically World's Strongest Man on bicycles.

All this proves is you might as well cheat, become famous and make millions.

Who cares if you are stripped of titles years down the road, it really doesnt change anything.

As for cheating, its part of the game. If you are hyper-competitive you are going to look for anyway to get an advantage. Bending the rules is no better than blatant cheating.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
Can you explain who that is?

George Hincapie was basically Lance's super domestique. Big stars don't win without the support of a team. He was Lance's main support on every one of the seven Tours that Lance won. He's also got a great reputation for being pretty honest - not the kind of brash liar that previous accusers have been - like Tyler Hamilton or Floyd Landis. He's also the only rider who rode with Lance for every one of Lance's seven winning tours. He has nothing to gain by rolling over on Lance.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 06:51 AM)
What do Alex Zulle, Jan Ullrich, Joseba Beloki, Andreas Kloden, and Ivan Basso all have in common? They all now own TDF titles (Ullrich with 3 of them). Somebody convince me that those guys were any less doped up than Lance and then I'll agree that taking the titles away from Lance makes any sense.

This is why stripping titles is useless.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 05:08 PM)
I hate most guys who use roids etc in sports.

Lance I'll give a pass on. If he cheated he sure used his publicity and story to help a lot of people. The guy is hero cheater or not.

This. LIVESTRONG was a great campaign and the site is a great source for helping people with health related things.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
American cyclist Lance Armstrong was part of "the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen", the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said Wednesday in advance of issuing its long-awaited report detailing the evidence it amassed against the seven-time Tour de France champion.

link

Edited by LittleHurt05

• 2 weeks later...

Unsurprisingly, the UCI has agreed with USADA's findings and has officially stripped Armstrong of his titles.

The weird thing is now I can say I was present when the last American won the TDF, as we just happened to be on my family's one and only vacation to Europe and happened to be staying at a hotel less than a block of the Champs-Élysées when LeMond won for the third time in 1990 and I wandered out to catch the riders on their seven laps to finish off the final stage.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 07:49 AM)

Sooooooo cant he be indicted for lying under oath now? There is a video on deadspin of him saying over and over that he never doped or ran a drug program, and there are a few parts where he is saying that under oath.

Sooooooo cant he be indicted for lying under oath now? There is a video on deadspin of him saying over and over that he never doped or ran a drug program, and there are a few parts where he is saying that under oath.

First of all, we don't know exactly how much he admitted to Oprah. He may very well admit to having doped himself without admitting to the larger scheme.

Secondly, I would think he discussed the legal ramifications with his attorneys before talking to Oprah so I doubt he's saying anything that could land him in jail.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 08:13 AM)
First of all, we don't know exactly how much he admitted to Oprah. He may very well admit to having doped himself without admitting to the larger scheme.

Secondly, I would think he discussed the legal ramifications with his attorneys before talking to Oprah so I doubt he's saying anything that could land him in jail.

Im just responding to what Balta posted. If he indeed says that he ran a doping program, you have to think the feds are going to come a knocking

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 08:11 AM)

I thought I read where the statute of limitations had expired for that stuff.

Im just responding to what Balta posted. If he indeed says that he ran a doping program, you have to think the feds are going to come a knocking

The link he posted does not in any way state that LA admitted to running a doping program. I don't know where that came from.

• 5 months later...

2013 TDF starts tomorrow. Odds heavily favor Britain's Chris Froome.

Chris Froome (GBR) 8/11

Alberto Contador (ESP) 5/2

Joaquim Rodriguez (ESP) 16/1

Richie Porte (AUS) 20/1

Nairo Quintana (COL) 25/1

Cadel Evans (AUS) 28/1

Alejandro Valverde (ESP) 28/1

Tejay Van Garderen (USA) 33/1

Andy Schleck (LUX) 40/1

• 3 weeks later...