Dodgers-Indians Blockbuster rumor

AWhiteSoxinNJ

Cliff Lee-S- Indians Jul. 26 - 4:47 pm et

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Dodgers and Indians are in serious discussions about a trade that would send Cliff Lee and Victor Martinez to the Dodgers for a package including either Clayton Kershaw or Chad Billingsley.

James Loney would also be involved, which makes sense because Martinez would play first base most of the time in L.A. We imagine that the Indians would prefer Kershaw, who will be a lot cheaper than Billingsley over the next few years. It's certainly be a fascinating trade if it gets done.

Source: FOXSports.com

Are the Dodgers stupid? Billingsley/Kershaw are terrific and arguably not much worse than Lee. Add in that fact that they are younger and cheaper, and only going to get better. This sounds like a horrible deal for the Dodgers, plus they get James Loney who is a solid young hitter?!?! Why not these pieces for Halladay?

EDIT: Just realized, Victor would be part of the deal. Okay, not as bad as I thought. Probably very fair.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Why do people keep proposing giving up young starting pitching for starting pitching that is nearing FA and isn't a huge upgrade? Haren for Floyd I understand. Billingsly or Kershaw for Lee, why? I'd want Haren straight up for either of those guys if I was LAD.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
Please don't let this happen. Kershaw is looking like one of the best pitchers for the next 10 years.

I'm still scared of that curveball he popped off in a spring training 08 game. Jas knows the one I'm talking about.

Dodgers, Indians Deny Reports About Lee, Martinez Talks

4:26pm: Rosenthal now says that both clubs have "strongly denied" the previous reports that the teams were in serious talks about Martinez and Lee.

Rosenthal says the clubs are talking, but the question now, becomes: about what? The Dodgers have had interest in Lee, but including Martinez is a new development, if it's true.

The names in previous reports have surfaced in talks, but club officials say that trade is not currently in the works.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)
Cliff Lee-S- Indians Jul. 26 - 4:47 pm et

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Dodgers and Indians are in serious discussions about a trade that would send Cliff Lee and Victor Martinez to the Dodgers for a package including either Clayton Kershaw or Chad Billingsley.

James Loney would also be involved, which makes sense because Martinez would play first base most of the time in L.A. We imagine that the Indians would prefer Kershaw, who will be a lot cheaper than Billingsley over the next few years. It's certainly be a fascinating trade if it gets done.

Source: FOXSports.com

That's an absolutely atrocious trade for the Dodgers. Billingsley and Kershaw have much better potential than Cliff Lee. Kershaw alone is probably worth Lee. And why the hell would they want Victor Martinez when they have Martin and Loney?

Makes zero sense.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 04:36 AM)
This has got to be the worst trade rumor yet. Clayton Kershaw is so talented it's disgusting.

The Dodgers reportedly wouldn't give him up for Halladay. So why in the heck would they trade him for Cliff Lee?

Worst... rumor... ever.

Got this from Yahoo! sports.

. Even considering the possibility of trading Clayton Kershaw(notes) ouch. Fox Sports reported that the Dodgers were considering dealing Kershaw, which begs the question: Seriously? Answer: A resounding no.

Let’s put it this way: Since May 17, only one pitcher has a better ERA than Kershaw’s 1.81: Tim Lincecum(notes). His 94-mph fastball – which he throws nearly three-quarters of the time – is one of the best in the major leagues according to FanGraphs’ weighted pitch values. He also possesses a hellacious curveball. Kershaw doesn’t turn 22 until the end of next spring training, and he’s as nice and smart a kid as a team will find. In other words, he should be as untouchable as they come. Even for …

LOL. Yeah, trade him. I'm sorry, even as a White Sox fan I'm insulted by this rumor. Imagine what a Dodger fan feels like.

Fangraphs has been getting a ton of exposure of late, I'm starting to hear it mentioned all over the media, it's just a shame that 95% of those who reference something on that site either A.) misuse it or B.) really don't know what the hell any of it means. At least they're making an attempt I suppose.