White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:45 AM)
Whatever KW says, I think the truth is they had some money to play with. They weren't at their budget at the beginning of the season, perhaps anticipating moves like this, and for everyone who thinks I think Rios blows, I don't and I hope he hits .400 with 80 homers.

I think the truth is, that there was really no one to spend the money on. These moves, financially, though, are mostly for 2010 and don't affect the 2009 payroll too much. Esp. Rios, who only makes $5 + mill. this year.

I do think Kenny saw the finances coming, and dealt Javy and Swisher early on. That alone would put the sox in good position, knowing that other teams would be in far worse shape, and would likely deal at some point in 2009, when their teams dropped out of contention.

WTF?!?! I was here earlier and saw the Sox had put a waiver claim on Rios and though...ah well, this happens all the time. I thought either the B-Jays were gonna pull him back or they were going to make a silly trade for him. Now, I look at his contract and think, that's really not too bad, and he's young enough that someone will take him if he isn't working out for the Sox. AND we gave up...NOTHING for him. This could turn out to be one of the biggest "trades" ever! Like Bagwell for Anderson. Wow. Kenny does it again.

I have to say that KW is doing his job. Now, if only the players would start doing their jobs again. We need to crush teams like Cleveland, and win at least 2 of 3 from Seattle. It's a bit maddening when we've added Peavy and Rios and the team starts losing ground to the Tigers. There's certainly time to catch them, but we can't keep waiting to play well. We need better pitching, for one.

Just read all 26 pages of this thread.

Just wow....

I'm speechless, this is pretty awesome we finally got a legit centerfielder, one who even possess 5-tools with the ability to steal bases. I really like how someone in this thread pointed out that Rios would match up well with Granderson and Sizemore. :D

I do hope to see Dye back next year and that Rios' contract won't take away payroll flexibility in 2 or 3 years from now, but looking at the roster with the addition of Peavy and Rios.... man... this is pretty freaking sick!

And Dewayne Wise... I was always a fan of you, even supported Wise over Anderson, but with Rios coming to town, your time might be up. Thanks for everything, Wise.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mr. Kenny Williams is the most exciting general manager in baseball. He is amongst the best. Another BOLD move that can really improve the Sox for years. Could it fail? Sure. Who Dares, Wins! This is better than signing him as a free agent since he didn't even have to lose a single draft pick. KW is ahead of the curve.

Welcome to the Sox Alex Rios! Thank you KW! Thank you Mr. Reinsdorf!

I love this move. We get an outstanding defensive CFer who hits .285 career with good power and great speed. There's no way we find a CFer with this kind of track record on the market this winter for this kind of money at Rios' age. A great move by KW and Reinsdorf, too. And isn't it cool to find much of the conversation here focused on how Ozzie's going to find enough at-bats for all the options he has for the rest of this season? Yes, kind of Yankee-esque, isn't it?

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
Wonder if Beckham will give over his # to Rios...

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens. I doubt it. But I am glad I didn't order a Beckham jersey yesterday (mlb.com had a 25% off deal yesterday).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)
Beckham can tell Rios to suck his balls. There would be a lot of pissed off fans in the stands if 15 became Rios.

Uh oh, I just bought a Beckham T-shirt jersey, O well, as long as it says Beckham on the back, its cool.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:55 AM)
Rios is using 51, dont worry

per Cowley Twitter.

Hmm, I don't like it. I get why he's using that (15 backwards), but that's too high for a position player. He needs to be a number in the teens or twenties. Pitchers are the only ones who should be using a number that a LB would where.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 03:10 AM)
That # sucks. 18 woulda looked better (f*** Lillibridge) I agree with Kev there. Or any # in the 20s.

You should probably tell them I told you that in an IM so they dont go huh? lol

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 03:04 AM)
Hmm, I don't like it. I get why he's using that (15 backwards), but that's too high for a position player. He needs to be a number in the teens or twenties. Pitchers are the only ones who should be using a number that a LB would where.

Don't worry when number 27 came from Boston, he switched to 72 and continued his hall of fame career. He has a statue on the concourse now. Not that Rios seems to be a hall of fame player, but I don't think reversing your number will be bad luck when coming to the Sox.