Extreme makeover 2010 White Sox edition

Lemon_44

KW said if they didn't win the division that a bunch of guys would likely be gone. I don't think he was just blowing smoke. Here would be my makeover for the Sox making them younger, better,faster, and a lower payroll while maintaining the long ball threat. The guys i mention in the trades will just be the principles.

PK to the Giants for Jonathon Sanchez. SF desperately needs a 1B and some right handed power.PK delivers both. Sanchez is a good young lefty that could be used as the #5 starter or moved to the pen.I prefer #5

AJ and some prospects to the Mets for Freddie Martinez. Look at the Mets catching situation,it's putrid. AJ, i think would be a crowd favorite in NY. FMart may have lost some value in the Mets eyes as he is only hitting at a .175 clip but he's still very talented and young.

Trade Jenks and some pitching prospect(anyone but Hudson) to Houston for Hunter Pence.

Sign Russell Branyan to a FA contract.

Sign Justin Dusherer to a FA contract for the pen.

The Sox lineup would look like:

LF-Martinez

CF-Rios

RF-Pence

3B-Beckham

SS-Ramirez

2B-Getz

1B-Branyan

DH-Quentin

C-Flowers

bench-Nix,Viciedo,veteran C, Kotsay, Wise/Pods

SP-Peavy,Buehrle,Danks, Floyd, Sanchez

RP-Carrasco, Nunez, Pena, Thornton, Linebrink, Duscherer

I really like some of your ideas. I do totally believe in this old aging core is done. Though that been said this team, like any will still need some Power and still need some recognizable names for the fan base and community. I really like the idea of signing Justin Ducsherer, not sure as a new potential closer or just another bullpen or starter yet. Im not quite sure you trade Bobby, I can see a case for both. I reliable closer is a scarcity, thats just one position I dont want a question mark at at all. I also like the idea of Trading Paulie for Sanchez, or another pitcher if need be. Id love to get Hunter Pence anyway possible. The Branyan acquistion I say meh, there is gotta be something more reliable out there. He is the epidimy of the hot and cold, streaky, all or nothing hitter. Not sure about dumping AJ either. Like I said even durning rebuilding you need some Identifiable names, you need someone recognizable for people to want to see. And in reality isn't Flowers pretty lousy defensively, we have seen how an average AJ behind the plate effects things. Do we really want to experiment with a non defensive catcher next year, shouldnt he refine his defense at AAA for a while then come up, just seems like behind the plate D is not something you want to sacrifice or downgrade. In general I like the direction.

Edited by joeynach

Here what I would think with 2010 opening day ages

I think the teams wholes will be a third and one of the corner outfield positions. I would assume we're grooming Viciedo, so I don't think Figgins will work as he will likely seek out a multi year contract and I think Iwamaura would be a cheaper fix for a shorter amount a time and do just as fine. We are going to need a left handed bat to replace Thome, Bobby Abreu is available and if he'd take a 1 year deal with LA, I would think he'd take a 1 or 2 year deal with us. Just how I would think would make a great squad, but idk.

3B Akinori Iwamura (31)

SS Gordon Beckham (23)

RF Carlos Quentin (28)

LF Bobby Abreu (36)

1B Paul Konerko (34)

CF Alex Rios (29)

C A. J. Pierzynski (33)

2B Alexei Ramirez (28)

DH Tyler Flower (24) or Dayan Viciedo (21)

1. Figgins - LF

2. Beckham - 3B

3. Quentin - RF

4. Konerko - 1B

5. Thome - DH

6. AJ - C

7. Rios - CF

8. Ramirez - SS

9. Getz - 2B

Buehrle - SP

Peavy - SP

Floyd - SP

Danks - SP

Garcia - SP

Jenks

Thronton

Linebrink

Pena

Nunez

Link

DJ

Flowers

Nix

Kotsay

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 06:32 AM)
1. Figgins - LF

2. Beckham - 3B

3. Quentin - RF

4. Konerko - 1B

5. Thome - DH

6. AJ - C

7. Rios - CF

8. Ramirez - SS

9. Getz - 2B

Buehrle - SP

Peavy - SP

Floyd - SP

Danks - SP

Garcia - SP

Jenks

Thronton

Linebrink

Pena

Nunez

Link

DJ

Flowers

Nix

Kotsay

You think Thome will be back or haven't realized he's gone ?

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 08:04 AM)
Here what I would think with 2010 opening day ages

I think the teams wholes will be a third and one of the corner outfield positions. I would assume we're grooming Viciedo, so I don't think Figgins will work as he will likely seek out a multi year contract and I think Iwamaura would be a cheaper fix for a shorter amount a time and do just as fine. We are going to need a left handed bat to replace Thome, Bobby Abreu is available and if he'd take a 1 year deal with LA, I would think he'd take a 1 or 2 year deal with us. Just how I would think would make a great squad, but idk.

3B Akinori Iwamura (31)

SS Gordon Beckham (23)

RF Carlos Quentin (28)

LF Bobby Abreu (36)

1B Paul Konerko (34)

CF Alex Rios (29)

C A. J. Pierzynski (33)

2B Alexei Ramirez (28)

DH Tyler Flower (24) or Dayan Viciedo (21)

You have some defensive issues there. Gordo should be at 3B, Iwamura at 2B and Alexei at SS for the most defensively sound infield. Iwamura is a very good 2B, not so great at 3B, Becks is a good 3B and Alexei is the best SS of the bunch.

It looks as if the 2010 makeover has begun. The big question is who goes and who stays during the off season. If nothing else, it'll make for an exciting winter here on SoxTalk.

As much good as Dye has done for us over the years, I would hope he will also be playing somewhere else in 2010. I don't see Konerko going anywhere, and I would hope AJ sticks around.

I'm not nearly as knowledgable regarding potential FAs or trades or even our minors as many other posters, so I'll refrain from trying to come up with a lineup. However, I see this as a partial (positions only, not batting order):

1B - Konerko

2B - Getz

3B - Beckham (I think he remains a third baseman)

SS - Alexei

LF - Pods (he's re-resigned for one year to allow Mitchell or Danks to be MLB ready)

CF - Rios

RF - Quentin

C - AJ

Well, after I typed that in I realized I didn't allow for many changes, and I think this team needs more changes. Good thing I'm not the GM.

Quentin really worries me for next year. Before he hurt his foot he wasnt hitting for average and since his return he isnt hitting for average. Ever since his wrist injury he hasnt been the same. His 15 HRs is positive (projects out to about 30 in a 162 game season).

I need to see a .270+ BA form him to feel good.

I'm sort of surprised the 2 threads about 2010 aren't seeing more action since the departures of Thome and Contreras. Guess most assumed this would be the case anyway for 2010 and have already posted. But everyone looked for the big names when a guy like Marco Scutaro (who's a free agent and very good defensively) ) would be a great addition to this team. SS needs to be stabilized and since day one Alexei's been compared to Soriano . Maybe it's time we go back to thinking of Alexei an an outfielder. Perhaps LF now. Quentin back to right.

I have nothing against the starter of this thread, but these are my most hated types of threads, the "here is my opinion on what next year's team should look like because we blew it again this year" type.

It just lets me know that we underachieved again and opens the door for thousands of various lineup scenarios.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 05:04 AM)
KW said if they didn't win the division that a bunch of guys would likely be gone. I don't think he was just blowing smoke. Here would be my makeover for the Sox making them younger, better,faster, and a lower payroll while maintaining the long ball threat. The guys i mention in the trades will just be the principles.

PK to the Giants for Jonathon Sanchez. SF desperately needs a 1B and some right handed power.PK delivers both. Sanchez is a good young lefty that could be used as the #5 starter or moved to the pen.I prefer #5

AJ and some prospects to the Mets for Freddie Martinez. Look at the Mets catching situation,it's putrid. AJ, i think would be a crowd favorite in NY. FMart may have lost some value in the Mets eyes as he is only hitting at a .175 clip but he's still very talented and young.

Trade Jenks and some pitching prospect(anyone but Hudson) to Houston for Hunter Pence.

Sign Russell Branyan to a FA contract.

Sign Justin Dusherer to a FA contract for the pen.

The Sox lineup would look like:

LF-Martinez

CF-Rios

RF-Pence

3B-Beckham

SS-Ramirez

2B-Getz

1B-Branyan

DH-Quentin

C-Flowers

bench-Nix,Viciedo,veteran C, Kotsay, Wise/Pods

SP-Peavy,Buehrle,Danks, Floyd, Sanchez

RP-Carrasco, Nunez, Pena, Thornton, Linebrink, Duscherer

I haven't seen any replies so if I repeat stuff - which I am sure I am - then my bad.

I don't think any of those trades make too much sense. Maybe dealing for Sanchez but he isn't someone I want. If he didn't throw that no-no, I'm not sure he even remained in San Fran. If he would learn some control I think he could be a very decent starter but right now he isn't very good as an NL pitcher. People were a little down on Peavy coming to the AL and our park - take a guy who has a career ERA of like 5 and put that in the AL. Bad idea. His stuff is good but no thanks.

I am assuming you meant Fernando Martinez. Not happening. They wouldn't put him in a trade for Johan, CC, etc...but theyre going to give him up for AJ? No chance. He couldve hit .000 and Minaya would avoid the deal just so he didn't look stupid.

Pence - like the idea but I think theyre going to explore dealing their expensive guys like Lee, Oswalt, Valverde before their cheap/young talent.

No interest in Branyan. He is having a great season and I'm glad he finally touched on some of that potential that Cleveland raved about back in the day but this guy has done nothing to show he is going to ever do it again. It'd be a bad bad contract if we paid what he'll ask for for any length of time.

Duch I dont mind.

I'm all for dealing the players you mentioned but there has to be better or more realistic options. Same with the FA signings.

I'd like to see us get Figgins and think we will. I'm not sure what they'd do with our infield but I'd s*** figgins or beckham to 2nd or if we move someone like Alexei (which I do not rule out) then you can play Becks/figgins both on that side of the infield.

We need bullpen help. I don't care how they get it but they need to.

Before Rios - I saw Dye here as DH, and the team getting Crawford for left - CQ to right. With Rios, his contract is what makes me void that thought.

I'd really like to see us get a lefty power bat. An Adam Dunn is a name I see on here a lot. If not him, I honestly think we could net a Joey Votto for a package of things - I'm just not sure we have remotely enough to do it. Maybe Alexei + prospects or Jenks + prospects or something. With Alonso behind him - one of those two I would hope could be had and I would love to get either.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
You have some defensive issues there. Gordo should be at 3B, Iwamura at 2B and Alexei at SS for the most defensively sound infield. Iwamura is a very good 2B, not so great at 3B, Becks is a good 3B and Alexei is the best SS of the bunch.

Gordon Beckham is not a good third baseman. He might grow into one, but right now he has zero range.