Konerko....

Paulie4Pres

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
So, how do we not bring him back next year? I realize he's 34 this year, but I still think he has a couple good years left in the tank. If we don't bring him back, how do we replace him and his production, and what does it cost us to replace him?

At this point someone is gonna pay him big bucks, not sure if he wants to take another home town discount.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
At this point someone is gonna pay him big bucks, not sure if he wants to take another home town discount.

Sure, but it's not like we have a ton of guys in our lineup that are crushing the ball this year. As I said, if you don't pay him, who do you replace him with, and how much money does it actually save you? After seeing the mess at DH this year, I'm scared to see what the Sox do if they let Paulie go to another team...

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
Are Hamilton's numbers THAT much better than Konerko's? I honestly don't know.

Not really. But his batting AVG is so ridiculous and the fact that he plays CF will help his case. I would say Paulie has a good shot at finishing 2nd or 3rd. Unfortunately, that doesn't get you anything but a massive contract from a team like the Red Sox.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
Not really. But his batting AVG is so ridiculous and the fact that he plays CF will help his case. I would say Paulie has a good shot at finishing 2nd or 3rd. Unfortunately, that doesn't get you anything but a massive contract from a team like the Red Sox.

yup, his RBI/HR total are right there w everyone else, but a guy hitting .361 in Sept, and making a number of highlight plays each week in CF makes him a shoe-in, plus his whole "story" gives that extra attn factor that make even the sternest voter want to reward his storybook comeback

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)

his batting avg is only what, 20 points higher than Konerkos? that's not that big of a difference if you are considering Hamiltons to be ridiculous..

Anyways, that's why I said a shot at it if he finishes strong which would require him to prolly hit 40 HRs, drive in 125+ and keep that avg in the .320 range.. and of course, we make the playoffs..

either way, hes having a pretty damn good year that I think is going unnoticed by most everyone who isnt a part of this board..

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
Looking down the road, is it a forgone conclusion that we'll see a picture of Paulie on the wall with a statue of his on the concourse?

That's a really tough question actually. Not sure I would unless he has another 2-3 years with us. He has been extremely steady, but never had a massive year in his career other than this year really. His 2006 was very good, but nothing spectacular.

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
his batting avg is only what, 20 points higher than Konerkos? that's not that big of a difference if you are considering Hamiltons to be ridiculous..

Anyways, that's why I said a shot at it if he finishes strong which would require him to prolly hit 40 HRs, drive in 125+ and keep that avg in the .320 range.. and of course, we make the playoffs..

either way, hes having a pretty damn good year that I think is going unnoticed by most everyone who isnt a part of this board..

Try 42 points higher. Hamilton is batting .361. That's pretty ridiculous.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
That's a really tough question actually. Not sure I would unless he has another 2-3 years with us. He has been extremely steady, but never had a massive year in his career other than this year really. His 2006 was very good, but nothing spectacular.

Are we talking about the same guy?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
Do you disagree with my point?

Here's the list of guys currently on statues:

# Minnie Miñoso Sculpture: Located behind Section 164.

# Carlton Fisk Sculpture: Located behind Section 164.

# Charles Comiskey Sculpture: Located behind Section 100.

# Luis Aparicio Sculpture: Located behind Section 100.

# Nellie Fox Sculpture: Located behind Section 100.

# Billy Pierce Sculpture: Located behind Section 164.

# Harold Baines Sculpture: Located behind Section 105.

Frank Thomas will have his there next year.

Paul Konerko has been on this team for 11+ years now. He keyed a world series run and was the ALCS MVP that year, He's basically 2nd on the White Sox career offensive production list right now (HR, RBI) behind the Hurt, he produced more than several of the guys with statues already.

His statue is assured.