Konerko....

Paulie4Pres

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
Texas also has Michael Young, Kinsler, Cruz, Guerrero, Andrus, they've got more offensive talent overall than the White Sox...but no way Konerko wins the MVP unless we win like 32 games in a row (Paulie with a consecutive games hitting streak during that entire time), Konerko ALSO catches Bautista for the HR crown and Hamilton falls off or gets injured like Quentin in 2008.

Kinsler and Cruz have been out for extended times this year.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
At this point, I'm offering Paulie this:

Year 1: $12M

Year 2: $10M

Year 3: $9M/Team Option

Year 4: $8M/Player Option

He's just so good when healthy and if Dayan takes over at 1B next year, Paulie will be able to DH and stay even healthier.

After watching Paulie make pick after pick at 1st base I'm not in a huge rush to see Dayan at 1b...

Well again, it all depends on what Paulie's physical condition is. If there isn't anything looming in the next few years other than just what normally happens when a player reaches his mid-thirties, I don't think there is a whole lot to be afraid of when offering a 2 or 3 year contract. Paulie has always been a player whose skillset ages well. He hits for power, has no speed to lose, and plays a position already where many older sluggers move to late in their careers. He doesn't strike me as someone who is going to see a huge decline in his mid-thirties, and until he can no longer catch up to an above-average fastball, I don't see him declining much at all until he reaches his very late thirties.

The question to me isn't so much does he deserve the contract, but more so can we afford to pay him.

Unless we move some salary by trading an SP, I just don't see it being possible.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
At this point, I'm offering Paulie this:

Year 1: $12M

Year 2: $10M

Year 3: $9M/Team Option

Year 4: $8M/Player Option

He's just so good when healthy and if Dayan takes over at 1B next year, Paulie will be able to DH and stay even healthier.

I think that's a very fair deal...especially for somebody who's having a MVP year. It's not like he's already 36 or something. Either way...the Sox cannot afford to lose PK next year and expect to win.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 08:49 PM)
Well, he will be 35 before the season starts next year.

Yeah...and he stays in very good shape in the off-season. He's the ultimate professional. Hey...somebody will give him 3 years. And the year he's having he deserves it. I think that contract is actually pretty smart with the team option after the 2nd year. I think JR offers him a straight 3-year deal though...I'd say 3-30. We'll just have to wait and see...but I don't think there's a chance in hell Jerry let's PK leave this team.

I would think he'll be back with a 2 year deal worth around $8 million a year. He could probably play a good 1st base for at least another season, then he could be a good DH. In my opinion, the only way the Sox don't try hard to re-sign him is if they somehow acquire Fielder or Gonzalez. And with Fielder, there would almost have to be a extension.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 02:26 AM)
Does anybody else feel like this is all silly talk, and he'll be back without much hesitation from either side?

I think there's a real good chance the team will get that done. It'd be silly to let him walk over a couple million.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 08:18 AM)
I think there's a real good chance the team will get that done. It'd be silly to let him walk over a couple million.

I agree, and I further think that Paulie does indeed want to be back with the Sox. I'd bet a 2 or 2+opt year deal will get done. No idea on the money.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
Looking down the road, is it a forgone conclusion that we'll see a picture of Paulie on the wall with a statue of his on the concourse?

Exactly what I said to my mom when we were at Frank Thomas day. Paulie will be the next one.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 07:39 AM)
On SportsCenter last night, they actually said Paulie should be considered for the AL MVP because of clutch homeruns like yesterday's.

you'd have to be crazy not to at least CONSIDER a guy in the top 5 of all relevent offensive statistics. i thought that was a foregone conclusion. although, you're right, extracting that from sportscenter's collective lips is impressive