9/19 ESPN Sunday Night Baseball- Tigers @ Sox

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:35 AM)
You're right, September 19th is a great time to push your players even more against split-squad Tigers lineup. You sound like Chris Rongey, who excuses every Ozzie decision by saying he's trying to raise the confidence level of the player in question.

You don't think John Danks could go seven innings tonight? With a 101 pitch count?

It's on Danks.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:36 AM)
You don't think John Danks could go seven innings tonight? With a 101 pitch count?

It's on Danks.

Sure, he was in position to go 7 innings based on when he started the inning, but after allowing the 2 run home run and then allowing another base runner, he should have been pulled. Obviously the decision by Ozzie worked out great.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)

It's on Danks.

but if he clearly lost it, didnt have it anymore, does the pitch count even matter anymore? meaning if he even had 70 pitches and is giving up hit after hit, you have to keep him in there just because he was doing good and has a low pitch count?

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:38 AM)
Sure, he was in position to go 7 innings based on when he started the inning, but after allowing the 2 run home run and then allowing another base runner, he should have been pulled. Obviously the decision by Ozzie worked out great.

I'm hoping next time in a game that matters Danks realizes he can get rocked at any moment and goes into another gear to finish what he started. He should have been able to get out of that inning if he's a special pitcher. 7 innings is not too much to ask; six sucks.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:40 AM)
but if he clearly lost it, didnt have it anymore, does the pitch count even matter anymore? meaning if he even had 70 pitches and is giving up hit after hit, you have to keep him in there just because he was doing good and has a low pitch count?

I still don't know how that hack hitter hit that low inside pitch for a home run. It was so low and inside I can't believe the guy easily kept it fair.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)
I wonder why Ozzie hasn't tired of watching Juan Pierre like I have.

Juan needs to be gawn, but he'll be back along with Teahen.

I mean, he's a decent enough slap hitter I guess, but I ain't a Juan fan.

Pierre gave the Sox exactly what they obtained him for. No more, no less.

There are other players who were bigger disasters that need to be discussed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:39 AM)
I wonder why Ozzie hasn't tired of watching Juan Pierre like I have.

Juan needs to be gawn, but he'll be back along with Teahen.

I mean, he's a decent enough slap hitter I guess, but I ain't a Juan fan.

You do know that Ozzie has said Pierre is his favorite player in baseball, and that he tried for 5 years to get him to come to the White Sox?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
I'm hoping next time in a game that matters Danks realizes he can get rocked at any moment and goes into another gear to finish what he started. He should have been able to get out of that inning if he's a special pitcher. 7 innings is not too much to ask; six sucks.

this team needs to be overhauled (get rid of cq,aj,teahen,jenks, putz,etc) wont happen. how will we win next yr? who knows

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
I still don't know how that hack hitter hit that low inside pitch for a home run. It was so low and inside I can't believe the guy easily kept it fair.

everything seems to be going wrong, if its not one thing, its another. always something, it sucks

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
Simpleton comment. You cannot equate the results with the effort expended.

Don't get a leaky vag because my comment upsets you. they're 10 out with no playoff chances, only difference between them and detroit is detroit hasn't cashed it in

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
thats why its not all on ozzie about the whole dh thing. kw could have gotten someone at the break and failed to do so. he could have but didnt want to give up anything to get them. and anyways,i dont think the hitting cost us the division, to me it was the pitching. those games the pen blew did it. (cant be blowing 3 run saves)

He offered Edwin Jackson and Tyler Flowers for Adam Dunn and had a deal in place for Berkman.

Ozzie is to blame for the DH situation aside from the .1% Kenny gets for letting Ozzie decide it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
You do know that Ozzie has said Pierre is his favorite player in baseball, and that he tried for 5 years to get him to come to the White Sox?

We tend to get players like that 5 years past their prime or a year before retirement.

The great Reinsdorf model of mediocrity continues ad infinitum.

This combination of crappy pitching plus anemic offense is surely capping the season the way it started. 8 out of the last 11 games have had 3 runs or less. Can we score 4 runs tonight. Can our pitching keep it under a touchdown. Who knows, but maybe its time for Ozzie to play the kids and forgo the need to play the Teahans and others.

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
Don't get a leaky vag because my comment upsets you. they're 10 out with no playoff chances, only difference between them and detroit is detroit hasn't cashed it in

Watch your language - no need to get vulgar. They are 10 games out because a superior team, one with one of the top records in all of baseball, just flat beat them out. Beat them out convincingly in head-to-head play, primarily because of that superior talent. To call them out as "quitters" is weak and, quite frankly, very becoming of an ill-advised fan. "Quitting" is a mental state, and neither you, nor I, nor anybody on this board has the ability to look inside the minds of those 25 players to even remotely come close to making such a judgement. Maybe all 25 of those guys did quit, but you certainly aren't the one to make that call.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
Either way, it's just very bad how the Sox are ending the season. Even not winning the division would have been tolerable had the team played better down the stretch.

Time to look ahead to the Bears and Hawks seasons now. So sad, because the Sox are my first love. Oh well.

Good point. Winning is always preferable but as long as they deliver a few hours of entertaining baseball, I don't feel like i've completely wasted my time and/or money. They have been exciting and fun to watch at times this season, mainly just before and after the ASB. But when they come out flat and appear to wish they were elsewhere, elsewhere is where I go.

The season ending collapse has been unwatchable, as was much of the first half.

The Bears look to be entertaining and the Hawks always give you your money's worth.

The Sox offseason may well prove to be excellent entertainment as well.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:43 AM)
Pierre gave the Sox exactly what they obtained him for. No more, no less.

There are other players who were bigger disasters that need to be discussed.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:43 AM)
Wells has huge power

1.) Oh I realize that. He's a nice enough player. I just don't like watching him play and wish he was on the Cubs. Don't like him much.

2.) Wells will revolutionize baseball if all his at bats are like that one.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 03:08 AM)
I'll say this about Manny. He looks good at the plate, like he has a confident clue.

I guess I wouldn't be devastated if we resign him even though I disagree with his me/first attitude, etc.

Only way I'd be satisfied with Sox re-signing him is if he tries to get pregnant again this offseason.