2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)
There is a fine line between "whoa" and "cringeworthy", I agree. I havent really appreciated Nic Cages career arc after Face/Off, he pretty much plays the same guy in various different settings. He did sprinkle in a few movies like Matchstick Men and Leaving Las Vegas that I liked, but on the whole I just didnt like his movies like National Treasure, Ghostrider, Knowing, etc. Same with Transformers 2, it was just bad. T3 DOTM, I liked, but there were still a few cringe moments that could have been avoided.

I agree with everything in this post. I will throw in another Nic Cage movie that I liked (that broke from his action mold) as The Weather Man. The scene where's walking down the street trying to remember to pick up guacamole is priceless.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
Raising Arizona

way way before Face/off. thats why it, and moonstruck were not included.

adaptation and bringing out the dead were good post-faceoff movies, but 8mm, snakeeyes, gone in 60 seconds, the wicker man, next,drive angry, season of the witch. yuck

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
way way before Face/off. thats why it, and moonstruck were not included.

adaptation and bringing out the dead were good post-faceoff movies, but 8mm, snakeeyes, gone in 60 seconds, the wicker man, next,drive angry, season of the witch. yuck

I liked "Lord of War", "Matchstick Men", and "National Treasure" was solid for what it is.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 08:23 AM)
"30 Minutes or Less" could definitely have waited for DVD. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it; I laughed quite a bit. Something was just off about it, and it was really short, and it ended quite abruptly.

Totally agree. I think Eisenberg's neurotic character is getting a bit old at this point. The whole movie felt like a bad version of Pineapple Express. I still laughed but it was kind of flat, and Eisenberg kind of sucked. Aziz was awesome, though.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
That looks fantastic.

I don't know exactly what it is, but I love any movie with an "historical" background having the Nazi's as the bad guys. It often gets old seeing the same antagonists in every movie, but they're just so perfect for it. I honestly can't think of a single bad movie with that basis.

Saving Private Ryan

The Longest Day

Hellboy

Captain America

The Boys From Brazil

Blues Brothers

Just some examples from all different genres spanning decades, and I enjoyed them all.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
I don't know exactly what it is, but I love any movie with an "historical" background having the Nazi's as the bad guys. It often gets old seeing the same antagonists in every movie, but they're just so perfect for it. I honestly can't think of a single bad movie with that basis.

Saving Private Ryan

The Longest Day

Hellboy

Captain America

The Boys From Brazil

Blues Brothers

Just some examples from all different genres spanning decades, and I enjoyed them all.

How dare you leave Inglorious Basterds off the list?

And agreed. Dead nazis are good for everyone.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
How dare you leave Inglorious Basterds off the list?

And agreed. Dead nazis are good for everyone.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
Inglorious Basterds

LOL yes, another great one. That was just the first few movies from various genres that popped into my head. I'm sure there are dozens more that are great.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

See?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
LOL yes, another great one. That was just the first few movies from various genres that popped into my head. I'm sure there are dozens more that are great.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

See?

I almost mentioned that one, too!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

See?

classic film enthusiast as you are, I am fairly stunned you left of the Grand-daddy of them all: Casablanca.

Project Arbiter looks to be pretty cool. It is based off of a short that gathered a lot of buzz, hopefully the expanded story does it justice. The sci-fi element is supposed to be pretty cool, i am looking forward to seeing the cloaking suit in full action

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
classic film enthusiast as you are, I am fairly stunned you left of the Grand-daddy of them all: Casablanca.

Like I said, that was just off of the top of my head :lolhitting

Schindler's List

X-Men: First Class

Enemy At The Gates

Defiance

Apt Pupil

American History X (sorta)

There are just so many, and none that I can think of that I disliked.