Sox looking for a starter

Baron

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:14 PM)
Jackson was gone after this year. They shed his salary, got Teahen's contract off the books, picked up a good reliever and got a starting prospect. Now they're looking for a starting pitcher they can control for more than just the next few months. Makes sense to me.

Well how exactly do we get a pitcher that we can control for a few years without giving up something of value. Ithis is a sellers market right now.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
Well how exactly do we get a pitcher that we can control for a few years without giving up something of value. Ithis is a sellers market right now.

So you thought they should have held on to Jackson? (and Teahen too?)

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
So you thought they should have held on to Jackson?

I don't think we have the offense to win the division. I am afraid that Kenny will trade something of value from our farm to make up for his monetary issues. I would of traded Quentin and Thornton by now.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:24 PM)
I would of traded Quentin and Thornton by now.

For whom? I sure wouldn't have traded Quentin for the package the Astos got for Pence and the Phillies would probably have given less for Quentin.

But I agree, I'd trade Quentin and Thornton too if they can get good value for them. Let's see what KW does by tomorrow.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:34 PM)
Kenny said today that he isn't planning to make any more trades by the deadline. I believed him. Maybe I bought a line, maybe not.

Yeah he says the samething before every trade deadline and look what happens

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)
Yeah he says the samething after every trade deadline and look what happens

I don't agree. In the past, I remember him being candid about participating in negotiations. Its the specifics that he will not discuss.

The reason I don't believe this is it doesn't make any sense. Kenny is not a fan that overreacts to every bad game. This rumor seems to appeal to that mentality.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:40 PM)
I don't agree. In the past, I remember him being candid about participating in negotiations. Its the specifics that he will not discuss.

The reason I don't believe this is it doesn't make any sense. Kenny is not a fan that overreacts to every bad game. This rumor seems to appeal to that mentality.

You think he just decided this since the last game?

Someone mentioned this previously...and I think they caught s*** for it, but I wonder what the Mets would need back for David Wright...Solves our 3rd base problem...the salary could be absorbed this year, but they'd obviously have to make some moves in the offseason for next year, as he will make $15 million.

We need some kind of jolt offensively....otherwise I would rather just deal Q and Matt and take our chances with this division regardless...

I think it was Kenny's plan all along to get something for Jackson (Frasor, Stewart and ridding Teahen's contract), then try to obtain some young pitching prospects. The Q for Beachy rumor for example has been floating around for quite some time. Also the Thornton for starting pitcher rumors.

It's just the way Rosenthal worded his tweet that makes it sound like KW just realized that trading Jackson thinned out his starting staff. That's ridiculous.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:47 PM)
I think it was Kenny's plan all along to get something for Jackson (Frasor, Stewart and ridding Teahen's contract), then try to obtain some young pitching prospects. The Q for Beachy rumor for example has been floating around for quite some time. Also the Thornton for starting pitcher rumors.

It's just the way Rosenthal worded his tweet that makes it sound like KW just realized that trading Jackson thinned out his starting staff. That's ridiculous.

Yeah this idea must have been festering in Kenny's mind for some time. This just didnt come up today.