7-Year Old Girl Cut From Baseball Team

hogan873

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
That sounds like it's straight from an after-school special, or at least Lifetime.

Playing in a team sport has greatly altered my life, just think about how you learn to communicate, work as a team, achieve goals, deal with failure, with success, etc.

I'm not saying everyone has to play baseball or one specific sport, but children should be encouraged to play some sort of sport throughout their life. Providing these opportunities to everyone is crucial imo, not saying that all the bad players need to be on the team, but a secondary team/league should be encouraged, or go find another sport to participate in.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the general existence of softball for only girls and baseball for only boys is sexism as well. Why can't both sexes have their own baseball teams?

Softball, while competitive is not the same as baseball. What do high school and college athletics groups have against women's baseball?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 07:58 PM)
I think that the general existence of softball for only girls and baseball for only boys is sexism as well. Why can't both sexes have their own baseball teams?

Softball, while competitive is not the same as baseball. What do high school and college athletics groups have against women's baseball?

Well if you open up softball for guys and girls, how many girls would actually make the cut then? On average, guys are physically stronger than girls and the level of play would be drastically different.

And budget and interest Im sure are the biggest reasons why girl only baseball teams don't exist at high schools. Maybe a county could get a team together, but each high school would be tough to field a girls team.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
That sounds like it's straight from an after-school special, or at least Lifetime.

I happen to believe what I do makes a difference. As do all of the coaches I work with. Why else would we spend so many after school and weekend hours coaching? I don't believe the benefits of sports are only for the better athletes.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
Well if you open up softball for guys and girls, how many girls would actually make the cut then? On average, guys are physically stronger than girls and the level of play would be drastically different.

And budget and interest Im sure are the biggest reasons why girl only baseball teams don't exist at high schools. Maybe a county could get a team together, but each high school would be tough to field a girls team.

Separate teams by sex, not one team.

Honestly, softball shouldn't even exist in a competitive youth format. It's a game that is played by people who would rather be playing baseball if given the option. Women should play baseball on their own teams and softball as a sport should be delegated to the YMCA/church/beer leagues.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:45 PM)

Honestly, softball shouldn't even exist in a competitive youth format. It's a game that is played by people who would rather be playing baseball if given the option. Women should play baseball on their own teams and softball as a sport should be delegated to the YMCA/church/beer leagues.

hey man my college co-ed intramural softball team was awesome.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 09:49 PM)
hey man my college co-ed intramural softball team was awesome.

Intramural is one thing, state and collegiately supported is another.

True Title IX compliance should have them replacing softball with baseball.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
Playing in a team sport has greatly altered my life, just think about how you learn to communicate, work as a team, achieve goals, deal with failure, with success, etc.

I'm not saying everyone has to play baseball or one specific sport, but children should be encouraged to play some sort of sport throughout their life. Providing these opportunities to everyone is crucial imo, not saying that all the bad players need to be on the team, but a secondary team/league should be encouraged, or go find another sport to participate in.

That's always been the way, and I think it has worked.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 07:58 PM)

My guess? They suck at it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
But the coach admits that she's better than her brother, who's still on the team.

Maybe it's because I played park district baseball, but I don't remember anyone being cut at those ages.

That must suck to be that kid..."hey, your sister is better than you at baseball".

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:45 PM)

Are you talking fast-pitch softball or slow-pitch softball? They are vastly different.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 11:07 PM)
Used to be that boys did in fact play softball growing up, in Chicago - 16" in particular. Even the high schools had teams.

That's all I played growing up. 12" Fast-pitch though.

I found it difficult to make the transition to HS baseball though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
Wow, I've never even heard of 12" fast pitch softball for guys.

They are rare but a few men's teams still exist.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
Is that the one that includes stealing and balk moves for pitchers?

Yep.

I know the women can pitch pretty fast, but I’ve heard of guys that can get up to 80 MPH with a softball. And the mound is only 40 ft away.