The Pet Thread

iamshack

My girl just turned 12 years old last week, and she is starting to show it. Looks like bad hips, because it's a big struggle for her to get up, and anytime you tell her to sit, her face strains. She is a healthy size, she just seems to be weakening. Now today, she started to walk w/ a limp on her front paw. I think it may just be matted hair caught in between her pads, it's happened before, so hopefully she's fine in the next day or two.

It's weird to think I've now lived with our current dog longer than our first dog. First dog died at 14 years old when I was 10. We got this dog when I was 11, and it's been 12 years now. Not looking forward to dealing w/ another death of a family dog.

Edited by Chilihead90

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
Anyone use a bark collar? Good? Bad? Thoughts?

Any recs on a particular kind?

I'm assuming the kind that squirts and not shocks? Either way, he started using a water bottle. When he barked, we'd say NO that spritz in the face.

Now if we calmly say No when he barks, he stops. Or we just show the bottle.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)
I'm assuming the kind that squirts and not shocks? Either way, he started using a water bottle. When he barked, we'd say NO that spritz in the face.

I'd look into whatever would work, squirt or shock.

The big issue is she'll bark when someone else is holding the baby, either out of jealousy or protection. I'm 95% it's jealousy and she wants attention.

She also has this weird thing where she now barks when my wife is talking on the phone. Never used to do that before.

I guess I can try the spray method, worth a shot. One spray to the face after a bark?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
If it's attention-seeking barking, ignoring them may be the best way to go. Even negative attention gets some dogs what they want.

That only works for so long, though. We've tried that, and she'll just stand there and continue to bark and bark and bark every few seconds until something happens.

It will work when we're eating and she wants food, but with a guest here, it usually doesn't stop.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)

We've done this for our dog when we take her camping. It helps some but hasn't completely stopped her. The thing is if we aren't right there with the spray bottle she'll just keep going.

There are sometimes she doesn't even know what she's barking at or she justs barks because she gets too excited. We don't think she can see very well because sometimes she'll bark at one of us as we are walking up to the trailer. If she sees somebody that she knows like my parents, she'll literally bark while her tail is going a mile-a-minute.

• 11 months later...

Can't believe it's almost been a year since there was a comment in this thread.

In that year, unfortunately my baby girl passed away on May 1st. It was really quite unexpected, as we didn't even have her put down, she just died while my mom was in the shower and I was sleeping. She was pretty healthy, just the usual lack of strength and tiredness that comes with being almost 13 years old. She did have diarrhea in the house a couple times that week, but we think it's just because she was given old venison and it made her sick. So waking up to your mom in tears screaming "Casey's dead!" was really hard. I took it very hard. I guess it was a good thing I was going to Ball State that weekend because I decided to leave a day early with one of my old roommates and just get filthy drunk in her honor. Just like our last golden retriever, we got her cremated and now have her ashes in a tin. My brother planted 2 new trees at our lake house in their honor and sprinkled some of their ashes in each tree. As you can tell, our family loves our dogs.

Edited by Chilihead90

And the reason I was looking for this thread was because a few days ago my dad went to go visit a breeder and put a deposit down on a new litter of American Brittanys. We will get pick of the litter, and are going with an orange and white female. We chose the breed because my mom requested a medium size dog instead of the large dogs that we've always had, and she wanted a dog with short hair because our retriever's shedding was out of control. My dad and I wanted a dog that was very sporty and loves water. I eventually came across the breed of a Brittany that none of us, or anyone I've talked to, has ever heard of. They used to be called Brittany Spaniel's, but the spaniel name dropped out sometime in the 80s I believe. These dogs are fantastic hunting dogs, even though ours will be a family pet and not used for sport.

Here is a google image search of various Brittanys

https://www.google.com/search?q=American+Br..._AUoAQ#imgdii=_

14395.jpg

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
And the reason I was looking for this thread was because a few days ago my dad went to go visit a breeder and put a deposit down on a new litter of American Brittanys. We will get pick of the litter, and are going with an orange and white female. We chose the breed because my mom requested a medium size dog instead of the large dogs that we've always had, and she wanted a dog with short hair because our retriever's shedding was out of control. My dad and I wanted a dog that was very sporty and loves water. I eventually came across the breed of a Brittany that none of us, or anyone I've talked to, has ever heard of. They used to be called Brittany Spaniel's, but the spaniel name dropped out sometime in the 80s I believe. These dogs are fantastic hunting dogs, even though ours will be a family pet and not used for sport.

14395.jpg

My best friend growing up had 2-3 Brittany's at any time. Be prepared for a very energetic dog. They have a lot of personality though too.

My Boston is coming up on 10 years here pretty soon. She's been slowing down the last year or so. Not a ton, but enough to be noticeable. Not quite the ball of energy she used to be. It's going to crush us when she's gone because she's been about the best dog you can ask for. Quiet, obedient, loving and great with other animals and especially with kids.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
My best friend growing up had 2-3 Brittany's at any time. Be prepared for a very energetic dog. They have a lot of personality though too.

Yeah I've read a lot of about that, but thankfully we have a half acre fenced in back yard, and a lake house for her to swim her little heart out. I'm hoping that suffices. We've never had a spaz dog before, so I'm sure it was take getting used to during the winter when she is stuck inside.

I haven't had a dog for a few years and I hate it, but with a 4 year old and 16 month old in the house it just isn't the right time for us. Once my dogs passed away we jumped right in and adopted 2 more basset hounds but had to give them up after my wife became pregnant, because she developed a severe allergy to them. I thought I wanted to get a different breed like a German shorthair pointer, but the longer I go without dogs, the more I want to get a basset and a chocolate lab again.

Hopefully we can get a puppy(or two) in a few years when the boys are older.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)

14395.jpg

Brittanys are awesome dogs. I have seen a few at the dog park and they are friendly and love playing. The only thing I dislike is the short tail.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 06:10 PM)
I hope Brian's dog eventually crapped.

Hopefully Krush eventually got his dog to stop barking.

My boys have finally stopped eating the house and the contents within, so that is nice.

Now that she's a bit older she's gotten a lot better with it. We did some spraying, that worked for a bit, but the best thing we did was do the coins-in-an-empty-can-and-shake thing, that really slowed it down.

[

I have had dogs my whole life. usually ger sheppard. I also took a chance on a natolian shepherd.

wow that was 1 hard dog to train. my dogs are usually show dogs. now for the last 25 yrs, I been

having pembrook corgi. they are the best and great family dog.

after hurricane season in 3 wks, I will be looking for another.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
Now that she's a bit older she's gotten a lot better with it. We did some spraying, that worked for a bit, but the best thing we did was do the coins-in-an-empty-can-and-shake thing, that really slowed it down.

You are going to a larger place right? My dog calmed down a lot when we moved to the burbs.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 11:31 PM)
You are going to a larger place right? My dog calmed down a lot when we moved to the burbs.

Yeah we're in Elmhurst now, bigger place, and yeah she has calmed down a lot. Not sure if it's just all the extra space or what but it's helped a ton.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 11:52 PM)
Yeah we're in Elmhurst now, bigger place, and yeah she has calmed down a lot. Not sure if it's just all the extra space or what but it's helped a ton.

My dog still gets riled up when someone rings the doorbell, but overall she is so much happier in space and not having to go down an elevator to go out (I can let her out into our fenced yard).

WE'll have to grab a beer down there sometime and catch up. Love Elmhurt, my wife used to work at Armands.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 11:53 PM)
My dog still gets riled up when someone rings the doorbell, but overall she is so much happier in space and not having to go down an elevator to go out (I can let her out into our fenced yard).

WE'll have to grab a beer down there sometime and catch up. Love Elmhurt, my wife used to work at Armands.

No doubt, one of the best parts about having a house is not having to lug on s*** and go down an elevator to let the dog out. It's not such a process anymore.