The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 10:39 PM)
My dream dog is a golden retriever which we will later in life when its reasonable and I want to name him Sergio. lol

Golden Retrievers are amazing if you can stand the shedding. The only reason we aren't getting another Golden is for that very reason. Best personality of any dog you could ever own.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 10:48 PM)
Golden Retrievers are amazing if you can stand the shedding. The only reason we aren't getting another Golden is for that very reason. Best personality of any dog you could ever own.

Everything you said is true. Callie, the Golden mix we've had for a little over the year, is the nicest dog I've ever owned by far, but there's fur everywhere. All the time. Worth it as long as no one has allergies.

The only problem with Goldens are they have been overbred, and that has caused a lot of problems with the gene pool, and caused a lot of great dogs to suffer.

Almost every time a breed of dog captures the imagination and heart of the American public, the breed takes a step back because breeders go apes*** and start pumping litters out like it's a damn assembly line.

It's happened with German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Pitbulls, Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers, German Shorthair Pointers....you name it...especially if there is a movie or popular tv show featuring a famous dog...

As a result, Golden Retrievers often suffer from hip dysplasia, heart problems, epilepsy, etc.

You really have to do your homework and find a solid, responsible breeder when getting one of these breeds, because if not, you are really taking a chance.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
We bought a Pembroke Welsh Corgi about a month ago. Birthday present for the fiancee. Went with Cooper as a name which I'm sure is quite unoriginal. I wanted to name him Jamaal Charles but that was immediately shot down :lol:

have you ever had a corgi, b/c there are things you need to know.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
No. I grew up with Shelties, so I'm familiar with herding type dogs. And we did research so we didn't just randomly choose a breed. What are you referring to?

the corgi are a great breed, but they act like your little baby, and expect to

be spoiled. you really have to keep them on a diet. there rep is they will eat

themselves to death. sometimes they are a little yappers unless you train

them. you will need to have a stern hand in training but once train, they are

great. the little quote about them is, big dog in a little body.

oh btw, they like to play, only on their time. so some of them will avoid children

until they want to play, and not before.

I have corgis for 15-20 yrs. they are great.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
The only problem with Goldens are they have been overbred, and that has caused a lot of problems with the gene pool, and caused a lot of great dogs to suffer.

Almost every time a breed of dog captures the imagination and heart of the American public, the breed takes a step back because breeders go apes*** and start pumping litters out like it's a damn assembly line.

It's happened with German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Pitbulls, Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers, German Shorthair Pointers....you name it...especially if there is a movie or popular tv show featuring a famous dog...

As a result, Golden Retrievers often suffer from hip dysplasia, heart problems, epilepsy, etc.

You really have to do your homework and find a solid, responsible breeder when getting one of these breeds, because if not, you are really taking a chance.

This is something that worries me. When we decide it is time to adopt a golden puppy we will defiantly do our homework and find the right one, no matter how far away they may be.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
This is something that worries me. When we decide it is time to adopt a golden puppy we will defiantly do our homework and find the right one, no matter how far away they may be.

My best friend growing up got a beautiful golden retriever puppy, it was absolutely the best dog I have ever met. I was around that dog a ton, and I heard him bark once, and that was to protect me from two dogs who tried attacking us when I was walking him once.

Unfortunately, he got bone cancer at the age of 7 and died about a year or so after. The family and myself were crushed, they had no idea about the genetic issues so the complications came as a complete surprise.

I would love to have one someday, but I would be hesitant because of that very reason.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)

I've had a Vizsla named Finnegan for the past 2.5 years. He is, with all due respect to every dog that came before him, the best dog I have ever had. Sweet with friend's kids. Great with other dogs, and amazing as a hiking buddy out here in CO.

They are an extremely energetic breed, so you need to have the time to wear them out, but just wonderful dogs.

We're thinking about adding a second dog in a year or two and a Swiss Mountain Dog is at/near the top of the list, but after this dog, we'll probably always have a Vizsla in our lives.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 05:45 PM)
I've had a Vizsla named Finnegan for the past 2.5 years. He is, with all due respect to every dog that came before him, the best dog I have ever had. Sweet with friend's kids. Great with other dogs, and amazing as a hiking buddy out here in CO.

They are an extremely energetic breed, so you need to have the time to wear them out, but just wonderful dogs.

We're thinking about adding a second dog in a year or two and a Swiss Mountain Dog is at/near the top of the list, but after this dog, we'll probably always have a Vizsla in our lives.

That's how I feel about Basset hounds. The longer I go without a dog the more I convince myself that's what I want to get again.

I love a Vizsla's look though. Those and Weimaraner's have such awesome coats and colors

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 05:59 PM)
I was looking for a retriever pup when I found my beagle mix. I'll probably stick with medium sized dogs if I get another sometime.

You have a really good looking mutt though. It really has a neat look and I like its color

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)
My best friend growing up got a beautiful golden retriever puppy, it was absolutely the best dog I have ever met. I was around that dog a ton, and I heard him bark once, and that was to protect me from two dogs who tried attacking us when I was walking him once.

Unfortunately, he got bone cancer at the age of 7 and died about a year or so after. The family and myself were crushed, they had no idea about the genetic issues so the complications came as a complete surprise.

I would love to have one someday, but I would be hesitant because of that very reason.

We got lucky with our two Goldens I guess because the first one lived to 13, and the second one died this May, and she was a couple months shy of her 13th birthday. I'm expecting our Brittany puppy to live to around 13-14 as well, since it's a smaller breed.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 05:45 PM)

This is an interesting post because a Vizsla was one of the first breeds we were looking in to to replace our Golden. After I discovered the Brittany breed, we immediately went with that type, but we did do some Vizsla research prior to that. And the other breed I was looking in to for myself when I get my own dog is a Swiss Mountain Dog. They look so cool and strong, but almost golden retriever like as well. I would love to meet one in real life to see how they act.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)
You have a really good looking mutt though. It really has a neat look and I like its color

Love the guy to death. Only problem is I can rarely have anyone over because he is always jumping on peoples laps and on them. He doesn't jump on me when I get home, just other people.

• 2 weeks later...