The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 06:41 AM)
99.99999999999999% yes

Mine is Beagle mix and only howls sometimes when he gets really excited. Lady next door used to foster beagles and they ranged from calm to Howlmania.

Think it depends on how raised.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 06:54 AM)
Mine is Beagle mix and only howls sometimes when he gets really excited. Lady next door used to foster beagles and they ranged from calm to Howlmania.

Think it depends on how raised.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
No. I have had 2 beagle mixes and they hardly barked/howled. It just depends on what dog you adopt. Most of them do but there are some that don't do it that much.

Full beagles are just made to howl, I think the mix takes a little bit out of them ;)

Most hounds love to bark and howl though, it's what they are supposed to do

Got to visit the puppy today. Although we had pick of the litter, unfortunately ALL the other puppies in that litter died. Apparently Brittany's are known for being terrible mothers sometimes, and the mom of this litter didn't really give a s*** about letting the pups feed on her, and she even rolled over on at least 1 of them and killed them (she's a fatty too). The owners were tube feeding the puppies for a couple weeks, but they slowly died one by one I guess. Really sad, but we are looking at this positively and saying that the one we are getting must have been the strongest and/or smartest.

They have since gotten the lone surviving puppy to be taken in by another dog they have that gave birth recently, so she is being fostered by another mom at the moment.

We get her in 2-3 weeks, and she is a beautiful little pup.

bIMLHG.jpg

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 01:21 AM)
Got to visit the puppy today. Although we had pick of the litter, unfortunately ALL the other puppies in that litter died. Apparently Brittany's are known for being terrible mothers sometimes, and the mom of this litter didn't really give a s*** about letting the pups feed on her, and she even rolled over on at least 1 of them and killed them (she's a fatty too). The owners were tube feeding the puppies for a couple weeks, but they slowly died one by one I guess. Really sad, but we are looking at this positively and saying that the one we are getting must have been the strongest and/or smartest.

They have since gotten the lone surviving puppy to be taken in by another dog they have that gave birth recently, so she is being fostered by another mom at the moment.

We get her in 2-3 weeks, and she is a beautiful little pup.

bIMLHG.jpg

Wow, really hope the one you guys are getting is going to be and stay healthy!

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 01:55 AM)
Wow, really hope the one you guys are getting is going to be and stay healthy!

Yeah thanks, me too! Part of me is worried about getting too attached until we finally have her in our possession, and another part of me is saying she is probably in the clear and now she has a mother that appears to actually want to care for her. So I'm obviously not trying to think negatively, but I'm being cautiously optimistic until we finally bring her home.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 02:19 AM)
Yeah thanks, me too! Part of me is worried about getting too attached until we finally have her in our possession, and another part of me is saying she is probably in the clear and now she has a mother that appears to actually want to care for her. So I'm obviously not trying to think negatively, but I'm being cautiously optimistic until we finally bring her home.

Yeah, never know what will happen. Not an expert or anything so I am not sure if it is bad for a puppy to feed from another dog that isn't it's mother. I am sure it isn't a big deal and she will be just fine.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 02:23 AM)
Yeah, never know what will happen. Not an expert or anything so I am not sure if it is bad for a puppy to feed from another dog that isn't it's mother. I am sure it isn't a big deal and she will be just fine.

Yeah, I have no idea. It's the same breed, just a different mom and a slightly younger litter. The important part, I would think, is that the puppy is still going to grow up with other puppies it's age and learn to socialize. It being raised as an "only-puppy" would probably lend itself to an anti-social dog, or one that may not make friends with other dogs in the future. So it's good to know she will have peers like normal.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
All of this stuff is really tempering my enthusiasm for getting a pet. I'm getting emotional just reading about your pets I don't know if I can handle seeing one of my own go after losing my childhood pets

Its a tough thing to deal with. But i feel like i am giving them a good life in their shorter-than-my-time, and it is worth it.

All of this stuff is really tempering my enthusiasm for getting a pet. I'm getting emotional just reading about your pets I don't know if I can handle seeing one of my own go after losing my childhood pets

Yeah, this thread has gotten a little dark, but don't worry, I'll do my part in posting pictures/videos of our new puppy in a couple weeks when we bring her home.

Pets die, its part of knowing you will be getting one. They will break your heart a few times and will have one final blow that will be devastating, but having them in the meantime love you unconditionally is usually worth it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
Pets die, its part of knowing you will be getting one. They will break your heart a few times and will have one final blow that will be devastating, but having them in the meantime love you unconditionally is usually worth it.

It's tough to even think about our dog dying. We adopted her last year when she was 2, she is 3 now so we hope we still have at least 10 years more years with her

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)
It's tough to even think about our dog dying. We adopted her last year when she was 2, she is 3 now so we hope we still have at least 10 years more years with her

I had one I had to put down at 8 years old because of dementia and one that is now 11 and going strong. It's such a crapshoot, however you are NEVER ready to say goodbye.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
I had one I had to put down at 8 years old because of dementia and one that is now 11 and going strong. It's such a crapshoot, however you are NEVER ready to say goodbye.

Parvo took my first basset hound when she was 9 months. I was 7 years old, one day i came home and she was gone. My dad told me when i was older that he came home before we got home from school and she was in severe distress, and when they got her to the vet they said she had no chance.

It really sucks because they cant tell you what is going on, and stuff sneaks up on them and you have no idea until you are at the vet at 3 AM

Better to have loved, and lost, than to have never loved at all.

Every day I come home from work and my great dane comes jumping at me will make him leaving me worth it. Just the thought of him not being around at some time is enough to make me shudder, but you just need to take advantage of the times you have.

For instance, he happens to have pink toenails on his front paws right now because my wife thinks he is a princess and decided to paint his nails. It's funnier than s*** seeing this big blue dog running at me with hot pink nails. :)

Yeah, for as much as it sucks losing a dog, or a pet in general I guess, not having one after having one your whole life is really s***ty as well. I think these last 5 months, and actually it's been EXACTLY 5 months now since our dog passed, may be the longest I've ever gone without a dog in my life. I was born w/ a dog in the family already. Whenever my brother comes over, he always brings his golden and I love having her over. She absolutely will not stop squealing with excitement when I say hi to her because she knows I will play with her all day if she wanted to. Very much looking forward to that stage of our new puppy once we get her house broken.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
Yeah, for as much as it sucks losing a dog, or a pet in general I guess, not having one after having one your whole life is really s***ty as well. I think these last 5 months, and actually it's been EXACTLY 5 months now since our dog passed, may be the longest I've ever gone without a dog in my life. I was born w/ a dog in the family already. Whenever my brother comes over, he always brings his golden and I love having her over. She absolutely will not stop squealing with excitement when I say hi to her because she knows I will play with her all day if she wanted to. Very much looking forward to that stage of our new puppy once we get her house broken.

the one thing I love about dogs is they all have a personality.