The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
Let's see some pics.

The first week of nights was awful for my pup 4 years ago. Crying, whining, going out at 1am. Maybe it was longer than a week. At the very least I was getting up at 1am to go out.

20141027_120136.jpg

IMG_20141027_193212.jpg

20141027_174346.jpg

Part of her shenanigans today was she found a dead bird in our yard. She damn near swallowed it whole too. I put some gloves on and pried it out of her mouth. The only part of the bird sticking out was it's head. She easily would have choked and died on that thing if I wasn't there to stop her.

And of course now, she won't stop whining in her cage. I smelled some terrible farts, so I took her out and she pooped. As soon as we get in, she whines again, so I take her out and she pees. Now we come back in and she continues to whine, so I just moved her to the cage in the kitchen because I'm not about to listen to that all night, especially since she JUST went pee and poop. Now I know she is just wanting to play.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 06:03 AM)
And of course now, she won't stop whining in her cage. I smelled some terrible farts, so I took her out and she pooped. As soon as we get in, she whines again, so I take her out and she pees. Now we come back in and she continues to whine, so I just moved her to the cage in the kitchen because I'm not about to listen to that all night, especially since she JUST went pee and poop. Now I know she is just wanting to play.

ahhh the joy of being a dog owner. many yrs from now, you will look and and

share these stories.

I have been a dog owner for many yrs. these are the trying months. it all gets

better..

my training ideas are all old school, so I will spare you.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 01:21 AM)
Really well surpringly. She did wake up and start whining, to which I thought she just wanted to play, but she actually had to s***. She got a little bit on the front doorstep, but after she came back in she passed out and slept through the night fine.

But today was a nightmare. I had her by myself all day, so I decided I'd rather just hang out with her outside on the nice day to avoid cleaning any poop messes inside. Well good thing, because she s*** 9 times today. And pissed about 15, all between the hours of noon and about 11pm. Also, she absolutely loves LOVES biting the hell out of me. She bites my hands, wrists, toes, ankles, back. I push her off and yell NO at her, but that makes her spaz out even more and growl and go insane. The best method I've found is just getting away from her. But in a big backyard, there are not many places to hide. I was jumping up on benches like a b**** to avoid this 9 pound terrorist, it was humiliating. She wouldn't even accept another toy to play with. I'd stuff a toy down her throat when she was biting and she'd just drop the toy and dive at me. We are trying to avoid putting her in her cage for punishment, because we don't want her to hate her cages.

Puppies do that because they don't know any better. That's how they play. What you can try doing, is if she bites, make a cry or yelping type sound to show your displeasure and immediately stop playing with her. Wait for 30-60 seconds before showing her affection again. Over time, she will learn to soften how she bites/mouths and you can lower the threshold for what "hurts" until eventually the whole mouthing/biting thing is trained out of her. It's breaking a natural instinct/habit, so it's not going to happen over night or easily, but it does work.

I have a couple of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. One is a pet, and he is awesome . The other is a Grand Champion show dog, and I am hoping to base my new retirement plan on his stud fees.

My wife was walking the show pup the other afternoon, and when he does his business he circles around, taking up the entire sidewalk, then backs in like a dump truck. He blocked the sidewalk when a big guy was walking by. My wife apologized to the guy , noticed his enormous size and told him he looks like he played football in college. The guy laughed and said a little in the NFL too. It turns out it was Dan Hampton. She had no idea who he was. Apparently, he seemed to enjoy someone not having a clue who he was.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
One thing we always did when our Malamute(and later, my lab) was nipping and biting was we always offered a bone or a toy. She caught on pretty quick. Brittanys are pretty smart, im sure she will figure it out

That's what we did, and now whenever he's really excited (in the mornings, when we come home from work) he runs and grabs a toy first

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 05:15 AM)
Puppies do that because they don't know any better. That's how they play. What you can try doing, is if she bites, make a cry or yelping type sound to show your displeasure and immediately stop playing with her. Wait for 30-60 seconds before showing her affection again. Over time, she will learn to soften how she bites/mouths and you can lower the threshold for what "hurts" until eventually the whole mouthing/biting thing is trained out of her. It's breaking a natural instinct/habit, so it's not going to happen over night or easily, but it does work.

This is good advice...my hands and arms were scratched and marked up like crazy when my first dane was a pup...eventually he learned where that threshold was. Now, when he wants me to follow him somewhere, he literally grabs my arm with his mouth and leads me to where he wants to go, but he does it softly so that it isn't painful to me :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
This is good advice...my hands and arms were scratched and marked up like crazy when my first dane was a pup...eventually he learned where that threshold was. Now, when he wants me to follow him somewhere, he literally grabs my arm with his mouth and leads me to where he wants to go, but he does it softly so that it isn't painful to me :)

my rotty did the same thing and it used to scare the s*** out of guests when a 125 pount Rotty grabs your hand with his mouth.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
I have a couple of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. One is a pet, and he is awesome . The other is a Grand Champion show dog, and I am hoping to base my new retirement plan on his stud fees.

My wife was walking the show pup the other afternoon, and when he does his business he circles around, taking up the entire sidewalk, then backs in like a dump truck. He blocked the sidewalk when a big guy was walking by. My wife apologized to the guy , noticed his enormous size and told him he looks like he played football in college. The guy laughed and said a little in the NFL too. It turns out it was Dan Hampton. She had no idea who he was. Apparently, he seemed to enjoy someone not having a clue who he was.

That's funny because for the most part the '85 Bears seem to be the exact opposite.

I just spent an hour or so outside with her having her go to the bathroom and playing in the yard, and she didn't have any more of those horrible biting attacks. She tried nipping at my hands and feet a few times, but I every time I just yelled NO and snapped my finger at her and she backed off. I also had a stick in my hand to redirect her playfulness with. These are the same things I did yesterday, but this time I resisted from pushing her face away, which was probably just egging her on even more yesterday. Also, my dad purchased a ton of toys for her yesterday, so I think she is starting to realize what things are hers and that she has her own things to chew on.

I just put her down for a nap so I can finally eat some lunch. Hope this afternoon was not just a lucky day and was progress instead.

When my dog is excited and wants to play she always bites and uses her mouth, mainly biting on my arms. She also sometimes when we are playing will jump towards my face with her mouth open so she gets me with her teeth. Anytime we play around she always uses her teeth. Another weird thing she does; Sometimes when my girlfriend and I hug in front of her or we play fight, I tickle her, or anything of that sort she will start barking and growling at us or me but still has her tail wagging. She never gets aggressive and tries to attack one of us but I really want to know why she does that every time. I know she isn't going to hurt me but I feel like she is really trying to protect her "mom." When we first adopted her she was afraid of squeaky toys but now all she does is squeak the toys to try and get us to play with her. She was also afraid of the bathroom and would not set foot in it or get close, but now when we shower she will lay by the door waiting for us to get out and has no problem walking in the bathroom.. She is also very afraid of any cage. If I go near her cage she lowers her back and starts to run away. And when she does go in the cage she pants so much and if we are gone for an hour or so her paws and her chest will be soaked, it is so strange.

We adopted her when she was 2 so I wish I knew how she grew up and what she was taught as a puppy and what happened to her.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
When my dog is excited and wants to play she always bites and uses her mouth, mainly biting on my arms. She also sometimes when we are playing will jump towards my face with her mouth open so she gets me with her teeth. Anytime we play around she always uses her teeth. Another weird thing she does; Sometimes when my girlfriend and I hug in front of her or we play fight, I tickle her, or anything of that sort she will start barking and growling at us or me but still has her tail wagging. She never gets aggressive and tries to attack one of us but I really want to know why she does that every time. I know she isn't going to hurt me but I feel like she is really trying to protect her "mom." When we first adopted her she was afraid of squeaky toys but now all she does is squeak the toys to try and get us to play with her. She was also afraid of the bathroom and would not set foot in it or get close, but now when we shower she will lay by the door waiting for us to get out and has no problem walking in the bathroom.. She is also very afraid of any cage. If I go near her cage she lowers her back and starts to run away. And when she does go in the cage she pants so much and if we are gone for an hour or so her paws and her chest will be soaked, it is so strange.

We adopted her when she was 2 so I wish I knew how she grew up and what she was taught as a puppy and what happened to her.

What kind of dog? Sounds like my parents' dog, which is a border collie/German shepherd/labrador mix.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
What kind of dog? Sounds like my parents' dog, which is a border collie/German shepherd/labrador mix.

Lol that is funny.. We know for sure she is border collie with some lab in her and we think their might be another breed in her as well.. All the humane society had was Border Collie mix.

She is black with a little white on her chest and on one paw and she also has some brownish areas on her fur that you can see if the lighting is right. I will try and find a good picture

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)

My oldest dane tries to wedge himself in between my wife and I if we get too close. The younger dane will actually growl and nibble at her, apparently because he is jealous.

I wish I could clone him in case I have a daughter...he would be an ideal chaperone for her and her boyfriend one day...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
Kind of has that border collie striping on the chest. I bet hes energetic as hell

Yes she is but we have live in an apartment for the past year and a half and she has acclimated very well. Being a college student, I like my sleep and she sleeps as long as I does and not wake me up once. Great dog.