The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
If anyone in the Plainfield area is looking to try fostering, the rescue I volunteer at is in dire need of temporary fosters for 2-4 weeks. However, you need to not currently have dogs. Try as we might, that damn dog flue has found its way into our rescue and we need to move out all the dogs we can and sterilize the place.

Just saw this. Hope it turned out ok. We've had no cases of canine flu up here. I asked my vet if they had any cases and they said no traces so took mine to dog park for the first time this year last week.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 02:37 AM)
Are German Shepherds usually outside dogs? There are people down the street that have one that seems to always be outside. It has been raining a lot here lately and their yard has mud all over it and so does the dog. I'm not really sure if they really even take care of it or just got the dog to be a "guard" dog. I feel really bad for the dog and it probably isn't getting the proper training a German Shepherd really needs.

No dog should be an "outside dog"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
Except Newfoundlands and Malamutes in the winter. Because goddammit they wont come inside

LOL, both of my dogs never wanted to come inside, ever. Our neighbors probably thought we were torturing my Rotty but he legit did give two s***s about the cold. With that said, people who leave dogs outside 24/7 are f***ed up to me. My nieghbor in Michigan had 7 rotty's living in a cage/dog house for years. Those dogs were mean and miserable.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 09:03 AM)
LOL, both of my dogs never wanted to come inside, ever. Our neighbors probably thought we were torturing my Rotty but he legit did give two s***s about the cold. With that said, people who leave dogs outside 24/7 are f***ed up to me. My nieghbor in Michigan had 7 rotty's living in a cage/dog house for years. Those dogs were mean and miserable.

I just wonder what is the point of having a dog if you keep it in a run, away from everyone, outside? Its just a possession at that point, not a pet. And it is a bill

My dad has a 200 lb Newfoundland, and when we had those winter freezes he would go outside and just lay down in the snow like he was at the beach

Last Friday I had to see goodbye to my cat of nearly 15 years. It was super hard to deal with considering he's been like a best friend over my teenage years and almost entirely through my 20's. Whenever I had buddies over Cow (black and white cat) would hang out with the guys and watch TV or be in the center of the video games being played. We think he had cancer because even 2 weeks before his death he was his usual self, then all of a sudden he just stopped eating, got weaker and weaker, then stopped drinking. We took him to the vet and he said it was time for the cat to move on. Didn't realize how upset I could be over a cat, but he was part of the family. Seeing your own pet take a breath for the last time is obviously an incredibly sad, but touching moment in a way. He died in my arms, and it kind of tied our bond together forever. A bizarre thing was that Cow was exactly 14 years and 10 months when he passed. That day I was a day shy of 4 months shy of 30. I decided to add up all the days and strangely enough, he lived exactly 1/2 of my life the day he passed.

Sorry to hear that WT, its never easy to lose a pet

One of our fosters got adopted yesterday by some friends of ours, so we are really happy that one got a forever home. Another person is coming to see the other dog, hopefully she takes the dog.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 04:04 AM)
Last Friday I had to see goodbye to my cat of nearly 15 years. It was super hard to deal with considering he's been like a best friend over my teenage years and almost entirely through my 20's. Whenever I had buddies over Cow (black and white cat) would hang out with the guys and watch TV or be in the center of the video games being played. We think he had cancer because even 2 weeks before his death he was his usual self, then all of a sudden he just stopped eating, got weaker and weaker, then stopped drinking. We took him to the vet and he said it was time for the cat to move on. Didn't realize how upset I could be over a cat, but he was part of the family. Seeing your own pet take a breath for the last time is obviously an incredibly sad, but touching moment in a way. He died in my arms, and it kind of tied our bond together forever. A bizarre thing was that Cow was exactly 14 years and 10 months when he passed. That day I was a day shy of 4 months shy of 30. I decided to add up all the days and strangely enough, he lived exactly 1/2 of my life the day he passed.

you know, i just can't see it or understand it, there is no rhyme or reason on how people get attached with pets.

i really don't like people and it is hard for me to be friends, but pets...... they accept the family without any reason what so ever. they accept the humans and all they want is a little caring and food. they are great friends.

i am sorry.

• 1 month later...

This is one of the cooler things I have heard about lately. Basically it can take facial recognition software and apply it to lost dogs. What you do is you take pictures of your dog. If it ever runs away, you can send out a notification. If you see a lost dog, you can take a picture of it, and the facial recognition software will match it to any lost dogs in their data base.

http://www.findingrover.com/

Three foster puppies (8 weeks old) will be making their way to my house this weekend as a stop over until they find their forever home. Havent had a puppy in my household(much less three) since 1998, so this should be fun

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
Three foster puppies (8 weeks old) will be making their way to my house this weekend as a stop over until they find their forever home. Havent had a puppy in my household(much less three) since 1998, so this should be fun

Good luck with that! What breed?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)
Good luck with that! What breed?

From what I can tell, lab-shepherd mix

image.jpg

The mom is in the middle. We are taking the bottom three, all girls

Anyone can PM me if you are interested in adopting!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 11:01 AM)
This is one of the cooler things I have heard about lately. Basically it can take facial recognition software and apply it to lost dogs. What you do is you take pictures of your dog. If it ever runs away, you can send out a notification. If you see a lost dog, you can take a picture of it, and the facial recognition software will match it to any lost dogs in their data base.

http://www.findingrover.com/

That's a cool idea but I can't help reading that link as "find in Grover". :lol:

grover225.jpg

Uh-oh...

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 27, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
Almost broke my computer turning it sideways to see the pics. Dumbass.

I did that especially for you

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 27, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
I can't take anymore dogs, but I think your wife has the same cookbook collection as mine :)

The essential collection

• 1 year later...

So out of nowhere, my dog, who will be 7 in May, has become so lethargic in the house. He's eating normal and when we go outside, he's his normal self.

In the house, he used to run up the steps and jump on the furniture to lay down. This weekend, he would gingerly go up and down the steps and last night, he tried jumping on the couch to lay down, but couldn't.

He has had arthritis problems in one paw last year but meds cleared it up. I'm going to make vet appointment but was just out of nowhere.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
So out of nowhere, my dog, who will be 7 in May, has become so lethargic in the house. He's eating normal and when we go outside, he's his normal self.

In the house, he used to run up the steps and jump on the furniture to lay down. This weekend, he would gingerly go up and down the steps and last night, he tried jumping on the couch to lay down, but couldn't.

He has had arthritis problems in one paw last year but meds cleared it up. I'm going to make vet appointment but was just out of nowhere.

Yeah, definitely get to the Vet ASAP. Could be a number of things, including issues with his heart or kidneys.

Our almost 12 year old Boston went through something similar in the last few months. She started to go downhill the last 6 months or so. Lethargic, not really eating (she is the type to beg for food constantly and sit at her bowl waiting to be fed), didn't move around well, slept a lot more. We chalked it up to old age. Then she started to gain weight to the point that she looked super bloated. After a couple of weeks of seeing her get progressively worse, we took her in. Turned out she's got some advanced cardiovascular disease and her heart, lungs and liver were all nearly twice the size they should be. Her body was retaining fluid like crazy. They drained her and put her on some heart meds. The vet thought she'd last 2 weeks but it's been over a month and she's back to how she was a year ago. It's been an amazing change.

A week after we had the issue with the dog, our cat died. The most random thing ever. My entire family is in the kitchen as we're preparing dinner. The cat, an 8 year old, so relatively young, walks around the middle of the kitchen floor and falls to the ground on its side. We thought he was just begging for food/attention like he normally would, but after about 5 seconds we noticed he wasn't moving at all. My wife said she thought he died and I checked him and sure enough, he was dead. I shook him a few times and checked to make sure that his throat wasn't blocked but he was gone. No choking or convulsing or struggling to breath or anything. He must have had a stroke or a massive heart attack in the middle of the floor and we all watched it happen. Really strange.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)

What kind of food do you have him on?

My dog is 15 about to be 16 (shes 70 lbs) and I credit her food for extending her life and helping with her joints.