The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 07:39 PM)
What kind of food do you have him on?

My dog is 15 about to be 16 (shes 70 lbs) and I credit her food for extending her life and helping with her joints.

I've been giving him Nutro since he was a puppy.

He could just have a cold as well. Got vet set for Thurs.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 06:19 AM)
I've been giving him Nutro since he was a puppy.

He could just have a cold as well. Got vet set for Thurs.

The brand may not be important but I switched my dog to senior food when she was about 8 and it really helped her energy and joint pain.

I use Orijen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
The brand may not be important but I switched my dog to senior food when she was about 8 and it really helped her energy and joint pain.

I use Orijen

I'll check it out. If it is joints, I also read Blue is good for that. He has gotten better each day so I'm wondering if he had a cold. I'm sure the vet will charge me $300 to say he's fine.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 15, 2017 -> 09:00 AM)
These meds aren't helping his paw. He's fine one day, the other he is limping around.

Been told to look into fish oils. Anyone use em?

My boxer had a terrible arthritis in his hips. He could hardly put any pressure on his leg at times, couldn't jump, had trouble getting out of the laying down position. He was super athletic before the arthritis, too.

Anyway, we brought him to a few vets, and they gave us some pain meds, but he didn't really get better. I thought we were going to have to put him down. Then, someone recommended this OTC supplement called "Super Joint Enhancer." We ordered it from 1800PetMeds, and it worked, but not immediately.

In fact, after a week or so, it didn't seem like he was getting better, so my wife called back and they refunded our money. I kept giving our dog the pills, and after about another week, we noticed improvement. He stil had some problems, but he started running around again and being playfulL.

It's worth a try. The pills are a little expensive (around $50), but they constantly send discount offers, so yo can get a deal.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
Pet Meds is pretty awesome with their coupons and codes. My now since deceased lab used to take Prednisone and it seemed like I got at least 5 bucks off every order sometimes more

Use Pet Meds all the time. Bought some glucosamine treats so I'll see how this goes. If not, I'll try fish oil pills.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had a dog whose lymph nodes have swollen steadily? I have a Schnauzer and he's about a year and a half. I have an appointment with the vet later this afternoon. Just reading and watching vids on this has made me a bit sick and not sure if anyone can give an enlightening story.

QUOTE (Yoda @ May 9, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
Has anyone had a dog whose lymph nodes have swollen steadily? I have a Schnauzer and he's about a year and a half. I have an appointment with the vet later this afternoon. Just reading and watching vids on this has made me a bit sick and not sure if anyone can give an enlightening story.

How did it go with the vet?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 9, 2017 -> 09:57 PM)
How did it go with the vet?

The vet gave me some hope. He said it could be lymph nodes but it could also be an abscess. He took a blood test and said it be a few days to get the results from lab and make a proper diagnosis.

Another positive is my Schnauzer has not shown signs of fatigue, nor has he been vomiting or had diarrhea and has maintained the same weight for the past 2 months.

QUOTE (Yoda @ May 10, 2017 -> 05:30 AM)
The vet gave me some hope. He said it could be lymph nodes but it could also be an abscess. He took a blood test and said it be a few days to get the results from lab and make a proper diagnosis.

Another positive is my Schnauzer has not shown signs of fatigue, nor has he been vomiting or had diarrhea and has maintained the same weight for the past 2 months.

Good to hear.

Keep us posted!

• 2 months later...

Dog just turned 7 and had his first allergic reaction. To what, i dunno.

He had two itchy spots that started pussing. He'd itch and the hair would yank out.

I was afraid it was a tick bite or something even though I use that Frontline stuff.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
Dog just turned 7 and had his first allergic reaction. To what, i dunno.

He had two itchy spots that started pussing. He'd itch and the hair would yank out.

I was afraid it was a tick bite or something even though I use that Frontline stuff.

It's probably a hot spot, which is basically a bacterial infection after the dog scratched the spot raw after the itching. My dog just got one on the back of her head. She had a double ear infection that caused her to scratch at it. We got antibiotics from the vet and have been giving her benedryl.

It's that and allergies. He was normal this morning, then after our walk, he laid down and his eyes started watering again.

On meds and stuff though. Vet said he's been seeing it a lot lately because the mold count is high or something

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
It's that and allergies. He was normal this morning, then after our walk, he laid down and his eyes started watering again.

On meds and stuff though. Vet said he's been seeing it a lot lately because the mold count is high or something

My dog seems to have allergies/dry skin so we tried an allergy pill from Petco and it has helped her itching a lot. She still will itch but not nearly as much as before.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
My dog seems to have allergies/dry skin so we tried an allergy pill from Petco and it has helped her itching a lot. She still will itch but not nearly as much as before.

Seems to be working but he's drinking water like crazy and has peed in the house overnight. I see that is a dude effect of one of the meds. Guess I need to get up at 2am to take him out until he's done with the pills.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
Seems to be working but he's drinking water like crazy and has peed in the house overnight. I see that is a dude effect of one of the meds. Guess I need to get up at 2am to take him out until he's done with the pills.

What I got really aren't prescribed pills. They are more vitamins/supplements you give 2-3 times a day depending on weight.

She loves the tablet and hasn't had any side effects, it has for sure helped her. And they are a really good price as well so it was worth a shot

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/pr...aid-dog-tablets

Edited by BigHurt3515