The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 12:17 AM)
I don't think it's too much to ask to keep your pet in your own yard (it's fenced in, but their gate/door is always open), or make some sort of effort to get it back if he wanders away (cat will be outside, but everyone else is inside).

Totally agree. My last neighbor, before I moved last summer, had these two nice gently dogs. I'd say large but they got along with my dog.

I would occassionally find dog crap in my yard and I knew it was theirs. Owners were nice people but obviously not noticing or looking the other way when their dogs crapped in my yard. Got to a point where I would pick it up with a scooper and just toss it back in their yard.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 12:17 AM)
When I moved into my house this summer there was a black cat that would show up in the back yard every few days (good omen, eh?). No idea where it came from, figured it was a stray. Few months in, saw it standing next to the neighbors while they were in the driveway, and it's usually on that side of the house, so I presume it's theirs. I then saw another one that started to appear more frequently.

It doesn't appear quite as often anymore (I'm guessing they keep it inside more since it's cold), but I was getting irritated with walking outside and having a cat in the yard, at my porch scaring one of us when the door opens, making sure it doesn't get into the garage, get into food if left out on the patio table, or worrying about my small dog going outside in the back yard (who knows how that confrontation would go).

I don't think it's too much to ask to keep your pet in your own yard (it's fenced in, but their gate/door is always open), or make some sort of effort to get it back if he wanders away (cat will be outside, but everyone else is inside).

I don't let my dog go run around in the neighbor's yard while I'm hanging out inside. Since I just got here a few months ago I haven't said anything to upset the apple cart, but if this starts up again in the spring, I'm going to say something. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Our neighbor behind us has an outdoor cat that has snuck in our yard a few times, I called them and even dropped it off once since the odds of my pup murdering it is very high and they dont seem to care. Pretty sure I'll be dropping off a cat corpse on their front porch at some point.

We had a neighborhood cat that walked through my backyard almost daily. It didn't bother me because he would just be walking by and my boston terrier would chase after it and it would run away. Then I started finding out that it was using our raised garden beds as a litter box. A couple of perfectly thrown tennis balls to its face seemed to have solved that problem, but it still comes around from time to time to hang out under some bushes.

Cats are the worst. And my wife brought two into our house. They puke and s*** and get hair all over the place. I've been extremely close to drop kicking them outside. It's the most divisive issue in our marriage by far.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 04:52 AM)
Totally agree. My last neighbor, before I moved last summer, had these two nice gently dogs. I'd say large but they got along with my dog.

I would occassionally find dog crap in my yard and I knew it was theirs. Owners were nice people but obviously not noticing or looking the other way when their dogs crapped in my yard. Got to a point where I would pick it up with a scooper and just toss it back in their yard.

That is just awesome, LMAO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
Our neighbor behind us has an outdoor cat that has snuck in our yard a few times, I called them and even dropped it off once since the odds of my pup murdering it is very high and they dont seem to care. Pretty sure I'll be dropping off a cat corpse on their front porch at some point.

Knock knock, here you go. And then they'll blame your dog for it, and try to get him in trouble.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
If it's an outside cat, I'm not sure there's much you can do about it. Cats will pretty much just do what they want.

I clearly don't know enough about cats...but if you put it inside and leave it there, isn't it now magically an "inside cat"? Is it outside all winter in below zero temps? Someone's letting it outside, no? Is it possible to have an electric fence or a leash on it or something? I don't think the answer is "well, it can do whatever it wants, it's an outdoor cat."

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
We had a neighborhood cat that walked through my backyard almost daily. It didn't bother me because he would just be walking by and my boston terrier would chase after it and it would run away. Then I started finding out that it was using our raised garden beds as a litter box. A couple of perfectly thrown tennis balls to its face seemed to have solved that problem, but it still comes around from time to time to hang out under some bushes.

Cats are the worst. And my wife brought two into our house. They puke and s*** and get hair all over the place. I've been extremely close to drop kicking them outside. It's the most divisive issue in our marriage by far.

Man this thread is getting great. Throwing poop back, chucking tennis balls at faces.

Uh oh, if Steve jumps in this thread it's going to get ugly.

But hey, your marriage must be pretty good if that's the most divisive issue so far, so good stuff.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 05:16 PM)

Knock knock, here you go. And then they'll blame your dog for it, and try to get him in trouble.

I clearly don't know enough about cats...but if you put it inside and leave it there, isn't it now magically an "inside cat"? Is it outside all winter in below zero temps? Someone's letting it outside, no? Is it possible to have an electric fence or a leash on it or something? I don't think the answer is "well, it can do whatever it wants, it's an outdoor cat."

Man this thread is getting great. Throwing poop back, chucking tennis balls at faces.

But hey, your marriage must be pretty good if that's the most divisive issue so far, so good stuff.

here here..... thanks for the humor. i need it today. :cheers

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)

True story: As I said, we have two indoor cats. Both are assholes. My wife and I went to some family thing and left for a weekend, Friday-Sunday. I return home to find our bedroom closet open. The closet has 2 sliding doors, which the cats will open from time to time (this is another annoyance, since the 3 bedrooms in the house have the sliding doors and they always try to open them in the middle of the night, waking me up). at first I didn't think anything of it because they always open them. So I start closing the door and I smell this awful scent of piss and s***. Turns out, they used my half (just my half) of the closet as a litter box for the entire weekend. No reason really. It's not like they couldn't get to the litter box or the litter box was full. They just are assholes like that.

All of my shoes are on the floor, including multiple pairs of nice leather work shoes. All pissed and s*** on. All ruined. And the kicker: one of these f***ers mounted a shoe so perfectly that when it s***, a single solitary turd went inside of the shoe and moved down into it. One single turd about 4-5 inches long right in the middle of the shoe. I'm still not sure how the asshole managed to do that. It defies physics really.

If the cats had not hidden they would have been outside within minutes. But lucky for them I couldn't find them. And I tore apart a lot of the house to get them. My wife and I yelled for an hour or so and then didn't talk the rest of the night. The only time in 12 years I was so pissed I didn't want to be near her. The cats are still around, unfortunately, but the wife understands that if something like that happens again there's no argument. They're gone.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 06:50 PM)
True story: As I said, we have two indoor cats. Both are assholes. My wife and I went to some family thing and left for a weekend, Friday-Sunday. I return home to find our bedroom closet open. The closet has 2 sliding doors, which the cats will open from time to time (this is another annoyance, since the 3 bedrooms in the house have the sliding doors and they always try to open them in the middle of the night, waking me up). at first I didn't think anything of it because they always open them. So I start closing the door and I smell this awful scent of piss and s***. Turns out, they used my half (just my half) of the closet as a litter box for the entire weekend. No reason really. It's not like they couldn't get to the litter box or the litter box was full. They just are assholes like that.

All of my shoes are on the floor, including multiple pairs of nice leather work shoes. All pissed and s*** on. All ruined. And the kicker: one of these f***ers mounted a shoe so perfectly that when it s***, a single solitary turd went inside of the shoe and moved down into it. One single turd about 4-5 inches long right in the middle of the shoe. I'm still not sure how the asshole managed to do that. It defies physics really.

If the cats had not hidden they would have been outside within minutes. But lucky for them I couldn't find them. And I tore apart a lot of the house to get them. My wife and I yelled for an hour or so and then didn't talk the rest of the night. The only time in 12 years I was so pissed I didn't want to be near her. The cats are still around, unfortunately, but the wife understands that if something like that happens again there's no argument. They're gone.

pls forgive me, but that is 1 funny story. these kind of incidents make

many pet lovers smile and laugh.

It kinda depends on the cat and the owner. If it’s a cat that’s gotten used to going outside it’s whole life, then it would be difficult to turn it into an indoor cat. Especially if it’s never been litter trained.

They also tend to stand at the door and make a ton of noise until you eventually let them out just to get them to shut up. I’ve never seen a tie-out leash or electric collar for a cat but I suppose it’s possible. Although that could make a cat more of a target for other animals as well.

Every cat we’ve ever owned have been indoor cats. They live much longer lives staying inside.

If it's a strictly outdoor cat, then it typically just does whatever the hell it wants. It's basically just a domesticated wild animal at that point that hangs around a certain house because that house feeds it. Feral cats survive outdoors all winter long along with squirrels, foxes, rabbits, etc. so it doesn't necessarily have to be coming inside at all. There's one cat that roams our neighborhood that has left some poop in our yard once or twice. I'm also pretty sure it was living in the old, dilapidated shed on our yard before we tore it down.

Our cats are both strictly indoor cats because "outdoor" cats cause all sorts of s***ty problems for neighbors and wildlife, plus they run a much bigger chance of getting killed, hurt or sick.

Cats are horrible pets. I don't want any pet that hates people and hides constantly. I am cool with super outgoing cats that are friendly, but the most anti-social dog is generally more social than most cats, it seems. My neighbors have 2 cats. One of each personality. The b**** Lizzy won't come near me unless she is in a super good mood and I find her on our front porch, but the male cat Jimmy will come over if I call him and he loves to play. It's now 9 long days until I get my puppy, and the neighbor girl and I plan on introducing my puppy to Jimmy to see if they can be friends. Figure the cat may be more willing to be nice while she is tiny and not a threat, versus when she grows to be 5 times his size and weight.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm almost crying from laughing so hard. Holy s***.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)

This is an all-time top 10 post in Soxtalk history

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 05:50 PM)

I had to come back to this post and get my daily fill of laughter.

what is soooo funny is in addition you are talking about them as

they are a third person.

If you end up getting rid of the cats, please try to find a no-kill shelter that will take them or a family that wants them. Lifelong indoor cats don't adapt to the outdoors well. Even full-time outdoor cats have an average lifespan of just four years.

Got my puppy home safe and sound. My brother brought over his 3 year old Golden and they played together for a while. It's funny because my brother's golden has always been the annoying dog that won't stop trying to play all the time, but this time it was our tiny little puppy chasing her around and jumping up nipping at her. All it took was my brother's dog tripping on top of her for her to realize she can't be running under big dogs like that.

She is spending her first night 5 feet away from me right now in a cage in my room. I'm a little hesitant to turn the TV on or open the window because I don't want her to be awake all night, on the other hand, I don't want to be awake all night either. Hoping my parents will let me just leave her in the cage in the kitchen soon. I don't want to have to act like I got a baby in the room every night.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 26, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)
Cats are Satans creatures.

This. I always joke to my sister who is a cat fanatic that cats are Satan's servants. They're just not for me. I get that they are a lot easier to take care of and own but I'd rather have dogs. Everyone has their preferences.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 02:22 AM)
Got my puppy home safe and sound. My brother brought over his 3 year old Golden and they played together for a while. It's funny because my brother's golden has always been the annoying dog that won't stop trying to play all the time, but this time it was our tiny little puppy chasing her around and jumping up nipping at her. All it took was my brother's dog tripping on top of her for her to realize she can't be running under big dogs like that.

She is spending her first night 5 feet away from me right now in a cage in my room. I'm a little hesitant to turn the TV on or open the window because I don't want her to be awake all night, on the other hand, I don't want to be awake all night either. Hoping my parents will let me just leave her in the cage in the kitchen soon. I don't want to have to act like I got a baby in the room every night.

How'd she do overnight?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
This. I always joke to my sister who is a cat fanatic that cats are Satan's servants. They're just not for me. I get that they are a lot easier to take care of and own but I'd rather have dogs. Everyone has their preferences.

How'd she do overnight?

Let's see some pics.

The first week of nights was awful for my pup 4 years ago. Crying, whining, going out at 1am. Maybe it was longer than a week. At the very least I was getting up at 1am to go out.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)

How'd she do overnight?

Really well surpringly. She did wake up and start whining, to which I thought she just wanted to play, but she actually had to s***. She got a little bit on the front doorstep, but after she came back in she passed out and slept through the night fine.

But today was a nightmare. I had her by myself all day, so I decided I'd rather just hang out with her outside on the nice day to avoid cleaning any poop messes inside. Well good thing, because she s*** 9 times today. And pissed about 15, all between the hours of noon and about 11pm. Also, she absolutely loves LOVES biting the hell out of me. She bites my hands, wrists, toes, ankles, back. I push her off and yell NO at her, but that makes her spaz out even more and growl and go insane. The best method I've found is just getting away from her. But in a big backyard, there are not many places to hide. I was jumping up on benches like a b**** to avoid this 9 pound terrorist, it was humiliating. She wouldn't even accept another toy to play with. I'd stuff a toy down her throat when she was biting and she'd just drop the toy and dive at me. We are trying to avoid putting her in her cage for punishment, because we don't want her to hate her cages.

I'm going to try a method I watched on YouTube where you teach her the word "down" or "off" by holding a fistful of dog food and telling her OFF when she is licking or biting at your hand to get to them. Then when she stops, you release some. This is supposed to teach her that "down" or "off" means she needs to stop, and she'll be rewarded for it. I'm just worried that may associate biting my hands with being fed, so it's a balancing act I guess.

It's weird, I'm actually really looking forward to going to work tomorrow and not worrying about being attacked or cleaning up after messes. That's probably not a good sign after 1 day with her. lol.