2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
But what did he come back from? When was he ever good?

He earned the "Breakout Player" award or "Most Improved" but not comeback player.

Comeback player of the year is pretty much most improved from the previous season. Rodney was decent 6 or 7 years ago.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
it's been a couple of weeks and I'm still not over this f***ing collapse. damn.

As a fan, I'm really proud of this team. They looked absolutely exhausted from putting forth their best effort for 162 games, and in the end they simply ran out of gas and lost to a healthier and more talented team. There is no shame in the season they had.

They'll be stronger and have a year under Ventura and this new coaching staff next year. Depending upon the kind of splash Williams/Hahn makes this offseason, I think we could be looking at a 95 win team next year. I haven't felt this good about the actual coaching of this team in a long time.

The two biggest keys in my mind this offseason are getting a long-term solution at 3B, preferably a middle of the order hitter, and improving and increasing the depth of the bench and high minor leagues. Without the contributions this team received from its rookies and minor leaguers, this team could have very easily met preseason expectations and been about a 75 win team. They received around 2 WAR from minor league offensive players and about 4.5 WAR from minor league pitchers. If you consider that those minor leaguers in previous seasons would have likely put up

I agree with Wite. Fact is, even if this team exceeded expectations, that would have likely meant a .500 team over what many people thought coming into the year. The fact we were in the race so long and made the summer interesting was better than I expected.

Of course, I'm expected a contender for 2013 now.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 08:57 PM)
I agree with Wite. Fact is, even if this team exceeded expectations, that would have likely meant a .500 team over what many people thought coming into the year. The fact we were in the race so long and made the summer interesting was better than I expected.

Exactly. I'm not saying I'm not disappointed - I am, especially given what they did in that Detroit game - but that team was mentally, emotionally, and physically drained. That makeup game with Detroit was the Game 163 from 2008, except that it was actually game 145. They wouldn't be in the World Series right now.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 08:57 PM)

This off season is pretty wide open. I want to see how we handle it before I start determining my expectations for 2013.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
I just saw where the major league qualifying offer to 2013 free agents was set at a little over $13 Million. This is the amount we would have to offer AJ in order to get a draft pick. Not gonna happen.

Is that for ALL free agents? I thought it went by position?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
Is that for ALL free agents? I thought it went by position?

Arbitration is based upon their previous years salaries. If AJ were offered and accepted arbitration and was given $13 million, that would be a more than 200% increase in his salary.

Arbitration is based upon their previous years salaries. If AJ were offered and accepted arbitration and was given $13 million, that would be a more than 200% increase in his salary.

You can offer arbitration, which is based upon the previous year's salary, but in order to get a draft pick in return you have to offer at least $13M, so there is no way that happens.

Only player the Sox might get a draft pick for is Peavy. There is no reason not to make him a $13M offer if they don't work out a deal before the offer deadline.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
You can offer arbitration, which is based upon the previous year's salary, but in order to get a draft pick in return you have to offer at least $13M, so there is no way that happens.

Only player the Sox might get a draft pick for is Peavy. There is no reason not to make him a $13M offer if they don't work out a deal before the offer deadline.

Who is rersponsible for more wins? Peavy or AJP?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)

Really? How much did AJ make this year?

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)
I think your post goes to show you that breaking it down by individual team W-L isn't an accurate way to look at it. Can't beat good teams except these two good teams and only beat bad teams except these two really bad teams. Maybe there just isn't a pattern...

I could easily just say that if you flipped the records against Detroit and Kansas City that we look awesome.

Sure, but that's like saying if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. If you "flipped" the record and they went 12-6 against KC and Detroit, they would have won 12 more games this season and would have been a 96 win team, easily winning the division by 11 games. They would have had a record of 12-6 versus Detroit, 12-6 vs. KC, 14-4 vs. Minnesota and 11-7 vs. Cleveland, a total record of 49-23 vs. the Division. They still would have been 47-43 vs. the rest of the league. People would rightly have said that they are a great team in the weak AL Central, but mediocre vs. everyone else. And those people would have an argument.