Slow pitch softball thread

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
How was it unassisted if you threw to first?

Ah almost unassisted, but close enough. Tagged runner going to 3rd, stepped on 2nd and pegged to first. It was awesome. I've been trying for one of those for years.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
its in your head

Yup. I borrowed a bat from a friend, and then went on a massive hot streak to end the season. I ended my season 11 for my last 12, with like 6 doubles.

Then I had my Chili's softball tournament last Saturday to conclude my summer of softball. I play SS for that team. I made ONE throw to 1B all day in our 3 games, and it hit the runner in the head and he had to leave the game w/ fear of concussion. LOL WHOOPS.

Our dumbass woman playing 1B was standing on the OTHER SIDE of the 1B bag. So the runner had to run IN FRONT of her to get to the bag. Well, my rocket throw from behind 2B nailed him right in the dome, and he dropped like a sack of potatoes.

We are moving to Schaumburg this fall due to a few factors(AHPD fields being completely torn out, and not wanting to get squashed by the #3 tournament team in the STATE), and this is the first time we have played ASA. We got a new team bat, the Worth Filthy

http://www.worldshottestbats.com/worth-454-filthy-review.php

Pretty stoked to get this thing going next thursday

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 11, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
We are moving to Schaumburg this fall due to a few factors(AHPD fields being completely torn out, and not wanting to get squashed by the #3 tournament team in the STATE), and this is the first time we have played ASA. We got a new team bat, the Worth Filthy

http://www.worldshottestbats.com/worth-454-filthy-review.php

Pretty stoked to get this thing going next thursday

I know this plants me firmly in Old Man territory, but I really don't like graphics on bats. Natural wood color or black for me.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 06:50 AM)
I know this plants me firmly in Old Man territory, but I really don't like graphics on bats. Natural wood color or black for me.

No wood bats in our league. And the graphics/color aren't an option. If you want a highly rated bat you get what it looks like, old man ;)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)
No wood bats in our league. And the graphics/color aren't an option. If you want a highly rated bat you get what it looks like, old man ;)

Have you ever "rolled" or "shaved" a bat before? I had never even heard of it until a couple weeks ago when the team we slaughtered had the ump check my bat to see if it was "shaved".

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
Have you ever "rolled" or "shaved" a bat before? I had never even heard of it until a couple weeks ago when the team we slaughtered had the ump check my bat to see if it was "shaved".

Our league bought a machine that does a density check on our bats. If it doesn't pass, you can't use your bat. If it passes, they put a special silver sticker over the top of the bat that you cannot remove. If it is removed they can consider the bat shaved and it can be confiscated. If it is confiscated, it gets sent to the state softball headquarters, if it is found to be altered you could face banning from the league.

It all comes down to injury liability in our league. Cheater bats increase the chance of injury in their eyes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
Our league bought a machine that does a density check on our bats. If it doesn't pass, you can't use your bat. If it passes, they put a special silver sticker over the top of the bat that you cannot remove. If it is removed they can consider the bat shaved and it can be confiscated. If it is confiscated, it gets sent to the state softball headquarters, if it is found to be altered you could face banning from the league.

It all comes down to injury liability in our league. Cheater bats increase the chance of injury in their eyes.

Wow, your league is a lot more official than ours. No one checks our bats for anything. I could probably easily get a cheater bat and no one would know.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
Wow, your league is a lot more official than ours. No one checks our bats for anything. I could probably easily get a cheater bat and no one would know.

I played for 4 years in Carbondale, when I moved back to the Chicagoland area and started playing in Arlington heights, the difference was light and day, it was like high school vs minor leagues. There are some serious tourney teams in my league, and we have had our asses whipped by them a few times. We played our best game possible last fall in te championship game and lost 36-27 to the 3rd team in state. And it wasn't even that close

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)

I know you whippersnappers love the Affliction graphics and the lovely sound of "TINK! TINK! TINK!", but in MYYYYYY DAAAAAYYYYYY, WOOD WAS GOOD!

Now GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 06:15 PM)
I know you whippersnappers love the Affliction graphics and the lovely sound of "TINK! TINK! TINK!", but in MYYYYYY DAAAAAYYYYYY, WOOD WAS GOOD!

Now GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!!!!

Mostly I love the ball going very far

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
Mostly I love the ball going very far

I made the ball go very far by using a wood bat, a well-timed swing, and my large rear end for leverage.

If you don't have a large rear end, then yeah, a quintuple-walled bat may be the thing for you.

:bang :lol: :lolhitting

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 03:13 AM)
I made the ball go very far by using a wood bat, a well-timed swing, and my large rear end for leverage.

If you don't have a large rear end, then yeah, a quintuple-walled bat may be the thing for you.

:bang :lol: :lolhitting

Yeah, but going very far in the 1980s was 275, I have to send it 325 ;)

i'll get off your lawn now

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)

The league I'm in outlaws bats that are not ASA approved or that were banned following their initial approvals. Still, occasionally you see a team try and bring one out. Generally we are able to catch this and tell and as someone who sometimes pitches, I can tell you I fully support not allowing the illegal bats. The balls just fly off them so fast. Reacting in time on the mouund just becomes more difficult.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
The league I'm in outlaws bats that are not ASA approved or that were banned following their initial approvals. Still, occasionally you see a team try and bring one out. Generally we are able to catch this and tell and as someone who sometimes pitches, I can tell you I fully support not allowing the illegal bats. The balls just fly off them so fast. Reacting in time on the mouund just becomes more difficult.

One of the rules in AHPD is if a ball is hit and strikes a player without the player deflecting it with a mitt, the bat is immediately confiscated by the umpire and not to be used for the rest of the game, and re-tested in the concession stand where the density test machine is.

We actually lost a hot bat in a playoff game as a direct result of that rule. My RF hit it box and the pitcher didnt even move his glove hand and it deflected off his glove side bicep. When i say hot bat, I dont mean it was a cheater bat, it just was on fire, it opened up at the right time and the entire team was using it.

Finished our season, the team did pretty badly. And the team started to fray a bit. Might need to find another team.

We're a B-level team (A-B-C) in Northbrook, the A teams are very, very good. I have to be honest with myself and realize I don't have the speed and quickness to do much at that high level anymore in 12". I can probably hit there still, and handle playing 1B or something, but I won't be the super-ridiculous bat those guys have at that position typically.

So... damn this hurts to say... I turn 40 in December, and I might consider... playing in an Over 40 league. Ugh.

I am still an above average hitter in 12" B, and I can hold down 3B, 2B or 1B just fine. Corner OF in a pinch. So I have to decide, if I need a new team anyway, do I play at that same level and be good? Find an A team and be a low guy on the totem pole? Go back to 16", where I can hit well and even pitch pretty well? Or go for the over-40 12" and look like a track star? :lolhitting

• 6 months later...

So I'm playing in my first league ever this year, my department is putting together a team and we're signing up for Buffalo Grove's "C" league. I'm curious to find out how good I'll be considering I haven't played much softball at all and haven't played baseball much since my senior season in HS (so about 5 years).

That said, I'm stoked to be playing again plus I have a ton of upper management playing on the team to network with :)

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 07:09 AM)
So I'm playing in my first league ever this year, my department is putting together a team and we're signing up for Buffalo Grove's "C" league. I'm curious to find out how good I'll be considering I haven't played much softball at all and haven't played baseball much since my senior season in HS (so about 5 years).

That said, I'm stoked to be playing again plus I have a ton of upper management playing on the team to network with :)

I was very close to playing on my friends team there this summer. It is a fun league, the park is very nice. I like how the scoreboards have the hour timers.

Good luck and have fun!

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
My "Minnie Minoso Tribute" begins this June.

I turn 50 in May, so I told my buddy that I want to play one game this year and then I'll see him in a decade!

:lol:

Critic bobble head night in 30 years