The Jose Quintana Appreciation Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
Who knew this kid would come up here and dazzle and delight Sox fans through four starts? Can he keep it up? Do we have a guy we can depend on for the next 5 years?

I think yes.

7314543058_92a9f81d63.jpg

In Quintana I trust.

I wouldn't go that far. He looks pretty good, but once some of these guys get multiple looks at him, his ERA is bound to go up. I'm hopeful he can fill the Humber role in the rotation this year and grow . Nothing too spectacular, if he becomes a solid #5 or #4 for several seasons, we should all be thrilled.

hahaha I love your optimism Steve! I hope he can keep it up and he definitley is a smart pitcher and knows how to get out of trouble- LOVE that. He will be one hell of a #5 the rest of the season thats for sure. Over the next 5 years is left to be seen :D

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
I wouldn't go that far. He looks pretty good, but once some of these guys get multiple looks at him, his ERA is bound to go up. I'm hopeful he can fill the Humber role in the rotation this year and grow . Nothing too spectacular, if he becomes a solid #5 or #4 for several seasons, we should all be thrilled.

I do think what PK said is true though...he has a "heavy" fastball that he gets in on right handers...that will serve him very well along with that backdoor breaking ball he throws.

in all seriousness, he looked like a veteran last night. the kid definitely knows how to pitch, and doesn't make many mistakes over the middle of the plate

He reminds me of a twins pitcher of the 2000s - stuff is not overwhealming, but was able to locate fastball, change and slider yesterday. Gonna be tough to maintain IMO, but he can definitely be a solid 5th starter in the bigs for a few years, which is something that fetches about 5-6 mil per on the FA market

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
in all seriousness, he looked like a veteran last night. the kid definitely knows how to pitch, and doesn't make many mistakes over the middle of the plate

He reminds me of a twins pitcher of the 2000s - stuff is not overwhealming, but was able to locate fastball, change and slider yesterday. Gonna be tough to maintain IMO, but he can definitely be a solid 5th starter in the bigs for a few years, which is something that fetches about 5-6 mil per on the FA market

Yeah, he kind of reminds me of a left-handed Nick Blackburn, in terms of stuff. Hopefully he can be a bit more consistent than Blackburn.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
I do think what PK said is true though...he has a "heavy" fastball that he gets in on right handers...that will serve him very well along with that backdoor breaking ball he throws.

10 hits in less than 6 complete innings though. I didn't see the game so was it grounders finding a hole or hard hit balls? I do say that giving up only one run shows a battler and he didn't panic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
10 hits in less than 6 complete innings though. I didn't see the game so was it grounders finding a hole or hard hit balls? I do say that giving up only one run shows a battler and he didn't panic

They hit a few balls well into the gaps or down the line, but certainly not rockets all over the park or anything.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
My main worry is that he doesn't really get deep into any ballgames, but I'm still pleasantly surprised. I like the way he goes about things. No fear out there.

Well he certainly could if they'd give him a bit more rope...it's not as though his pitch counts have been extremely high...

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
Keep up the smoke and mirrors, New Q! And Kenny, feel free to trade him and that inflated value!

This. Seriously, seriously this. I suppose I may look like an ass in the future, but relying on the location of that mediocre fastball like he does...I dunno about that...he has one day when his control isn't pinpoint and the opponent brings that ERA back to the 4's where it should be in a hurry.

Trade him while his ERA is sub-2!

Best thing I can say about him, though, is that his stat line, stuff and control resemble one Mark Buehrle. I had more faith in Buehrle's ability to get the breaking stuff over, though.

Edited by ScottyDo