2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
The Bulls sure wanted him, so even if Riley didn't, he was only going to fall one more pick.

I guess my point is, and this is what I laugh about, looking back now, can you really justify taking Chris Kamen or Darko and passing on Wade because you didn't have an immediate need for him at the time? Was it smart for the Trailblazers to take Sam Bowie instead of Jordan because they had Clyde Drexler already?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
Just so it's said, Noel could also Hasheem Thabeet his way out of the league too, even as a #1 pick. There's inherent risk with any of these guys.

You ask if you pass on Dwyane Wade if you had XYZ, but what if McLemore isn't Dwyane Wade but rather Rip Hamilton? Then you'd surely pass and wouldn't think twice.

This is exactly who I was trying to think of earlier, but was too lazy to look him up.

I'm not so sure about McLemore, but I really think Burke has a pretty good chance to be a very, very good player. I'd rather take a guy like that and worry about fitting him in to my roster if I am the Cavs right now, then to take Noel with the #1 pick. But again, that is just me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2013 -> 12:55 PM)
I guess my point is, and this is what I laugh about, looking back now, can you really justify taking Chris Kamen or Darko and passing on Wade because you didn't have an immediate need for him at the time? Was it smart for the Trailblazers to take Sam Bowie instead of Jordan because they had Clyde Drexler already?

Was it smart for the Bulls to pick Joakim Noah when some considered it a reach and center was a huge position of need?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
This is exactly who I was trying to think of earlier, but was too lazy to look him up.

I'm not so sure about McLemore, but I really think Burke has a pretty good chance to be a very, very good player. I'd rather take a guy like that and worry about fitting him in to my roster if I am the Cavs right now, then to take Noel with the #1 pick. But again, that is just me.

I think you take Noel because he's the most dynamic talent in the draft, not because it's a position of need. It just so happens that it is also a position of need.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
Was it smart for the Bulls to pick Joakim Noah when some considered it a reach and center was a huge position of need?

Oh trust me, I know...I hated the pick at the time...I wanted them to trade up to get Conley or trade down.

That pick was lucky, and that isn't to say Noel can't be another Noah type, but that was also the 9th pick, not the 1st pick.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2013 -> 12:55 PM)

revisionist history

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
I think you take Noel because he's the most dynamic talent in the draft, not because it's a position of need. It just so happens that it is also a position of need.

Well, I disagree...but fair enough.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
That pick was lucky, and that isn't to say Noel can't be another Noah type, but that was also the 9th pick, not the 1st pick.

But this draft is f***ing awful. The two best players include a raw defensive althletic freak recovering from an ACL tear and a SF who s*** his pants in the tournament.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 22, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
revisionist history

Well of course it is revisionist history!

However it doesn't need to be. It comes out of the fact, at least in my humble opinion, that teams really out-think themselves when it comes to drafting.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 22, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)
But this draft is f***ing awful. The two best players include a raw defensive althletic freak recovering from an ACL tear and a SF who s*** his pants in the tournament.

If you have the #1 pick there is likely going to be at least a few really solid NBA players you can choose from.

Honestly, I don't really give a s*** who they pick...I am not a Cavs fan...but I think looking back in 5-10 years, Noel will be a mistake to pick #1.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 22, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
I understand the sentiment that you would like to get a player that at least has the talent/ceiling to carry the team offensively with the number 1 pick

Pretty much the choice is high floor, all-star ceiling versus quick washout floor, superstar ceiling.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 22, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
I understand the sentiment that you would like to get a player that at least has the talent/ceiling to carry the team offensively with the number 1 pick

Does that player even exist in this draft?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
That's not an answer.

If there's no top line scorer in the draft, but there is a top line defender...

There most likely is....it is their job to identify him...

The problem with that is that Burke is simply not as good a player as Kyrie Irving. Irving is one of the top point guards in the league and could still get better. Using the #1 pick on a guy that's not going to start for your team any time in the near future isn't a good use of assets. You can't really move either of them to the 2 either because they're 6'3" and 6'1" respectively. That's a highly suspect pairing defensively. With two big guys or two wings you can use both of them a lot more easily.

If they really don't want Noel, the best option for them is probably Otto Porter. He's the safest prospect in the draft IMO though he's not likely to be a star.

That last part is important because there isn't a single player in this draft where you can reasonably expect them to be an All-Star. There might eventually be one out of this draft, but good luck guessing who it is. Any of these guys are going to need significant improvements to be even an above average NBA starter. If the people that get paid to scout these prospects had any idea which guys were going to pan out, we wouldn't be talking about how awful this draft is.

Noel is widely considered to be #1 because he has the best physical tools in this draft to be a star down the line. It's not a guarantee that he's going to be the best player, but that's true of any prospect and these other guys aren't any safer.

Thabeet to Noel is not a fair comparison at all. Thabeet was no where near the athlete and certainly wasn't as mobile as Noel is at all. Thabeet was just known for being tall, and from what I hear, the dude has the brain of Javale McGee.

I don't know if you know how good Kyrie Irving is, but he is a franchise PG by all means. Would you draft Burke if you are the Bulls and you have Derrick Rose already?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
That's not an answer.

If there's no top line scorer in the draft, but there is a top line defender...

Right. And their defense was one of the worse in the league. Their offense would automatically improve if Kyrie stays healthy this year, Waiter progresses naturally, and they don't have to start Tyler Zeller at center. Drafting Noel really fits the need for them.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ May 22, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
I don't know if you know how good Kyrie Irving is, but he is a franchise PG by all means. Would you draft Burke if you are the Bulls and you have Derrick Rose already?

(I dunno, there's a chance Rose may retire rather than risk his knee again....)

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ May 22, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
I thought all the Rose mockery will stop now since we mostly likely seen his last days in a suit

Rose has it coming for a long time. At least until he gets on to the floor and shuts people like me up.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ May 22, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
I thought all the Rose mockery will stop now since we mostly likely seen his last days in a suit

I wouldn't think the mockery will end until he puts up actual NBA statistics again.