Peavy hires Berry as agent

southsider2k5

QUOTE (forrestg @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
Jake is not a #1,2, but perhaps at the low end of a # 3 starter. I think Jake didn't prove enough to me toward the end of the season to give him any more than the 2 year 22m.. We have paid him premium money for no season that he was worth his keep. I would say 22million - the buyout. I like Jake but he did complete the season although not with great success.

You cannot honestly tell me that that you think there were at least 60 better starting pitchers than Jake Peavy this year.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
No baseball player "leaves a lot of money on the table." He can be just as happy somewhere else, believe me. I doubt most baseball players would even leave $1 million on the table.Some might not let it get to that point, however. Some might sign extensions or their first big contracts quietly and not let it get to free agency.

Paulie & Buehrle to name two.

Not every player is Ozzie.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)
You cannot honestly tell me that that you think there were at least 60 better starting pitchers than Jake Peavy this year.

He was awesome this year especially for having to reinvent his style. I expect him to be better next year but still unable to put away quality hitters. I think we need to find a RH gem. Easier said than done.

I am extremely wary of giving Peavy a long term deal, I just don't like how he put in so many innings after injury riddled seasons. I personally don't think his arm was conditioned for that much and we will see major regression/possible injuries even next year.

That said, if we have the budget and Peavy will give us a discount of say 2/25 (including the $4m buyout) or right around there I would still take that risk/reward.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
Jake is not a #1,2, but perhaps at the low end of a # 3 starter. I think Jake didn't prove enough to me toward the end of the season to give him any more than the 2 year 22m.. We have paid him premium money for no season that he was worth his keep. I would say 22million - the buyout. I like Jake but he did complete the season although not with great success.

Did you... did you watch any baseball this year?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
No baseball player "leaves a lot of money on the table." He can be just as happy somewhere else, believe me. I doubt most baseball players would even leave $1 million on the table.Some might not let it get to that point, however. Some might sign extensions or their first big contracts quietly and not let it get to free agency.

More than one baseball player has "left money on the table" in the past. Konerko and Buehrle have for the Sox alone. And I'm sure plenty of baseball players would leave $1 million, especially if you're talking about $15M vs. $14M if they felt they'd have a better chance at success with the team paying less.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
To who, his brother? :)

The biggest thing with Peavy is if the insane workload this year will have a negative impact on his arm next year.

I was thinking that too, there is real risk there that he falls back a bit next year strength-wise. But since he's now stretched out for a full season, I suspect that won't be a big setback for him, if at all. I'd be more concerned with overall injury risk from his history.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)

Seriously. Peavy in 2012 was a #3 starter? Where did that come from?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 07:01 AM)
More than one baseball player has "left money on the table" in the past. Konerko and Buehrle have for the Sox alone. And I'm sure plenty of baseball players would leave $1 million, especially if you're talking about $15M vs. $14M if they felt they'd have a better chance at success with the team paying less.

No question players do it occasionally, though usually it is for a relatively small amount of difference (percentage-wise). Players rarely (if ever) choose a deal a LOT lower than others known or on the table.

Another example of this though, is that players sometimes get a hometown offer they like, and just take it straight away, without even exploring other options. They know they might be leaving money on the table, but it isn't a known thing, and it isn't worth it to them.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
He was awesome this year especially for having to reinvent his style. I expect him to be better next year but still unable to put away quality hitters. I think we need to find a RH gem. Easier said than done.

You do not put up the numbers that Peavy put up this year by only getting out bad hitters.

If you look his numbers this year, pretty much only 2007 stands out as better.

129 ERA+, 1.096 WHIP, 3.37 ERA, 3.96 K/BB. 2.0 BB/9, 5.0 WAR.

Some of those numbers are career bests. His control this year was the best of his career. That WAR was 9th best in all of baseball, and 6th in the AL, for pitchers.

By pretty much every possible definition except wins, Peavy was the definition of a #1 starter this year. It really isn't even close.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 11:55 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2714703:date=Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:42 PM:name=southsider2k5)-->
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
<!--quotec-->:bang

Better yet, Paul Konerko stayed with the White Sox not once, but twice, for less money.

This is not true.

That is splitting hairs

Ideal for me:

Sale #1

Peavy #2

Danks #3

Sox acquire a big-armed MLB-ready RHSP prospect via trade with another team and slot him here as the #4

Quintana #5

BattleAxe in the pen as the long man to eat whatever innings are necessary

Also ideal for me would be to see float a package of Reed + Santiago + Thompson on the market because I think if you do you'll land a pretty big fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Cafardo writes that at least one GM sees Peavy getting a 3 year deal in the $36-40M range, as long as the docs say he's fully healthy.

It is mostly a Yankees and Red Sox article, just page your way down. Here is the snippet:

5. Jake Peavy, RHP, White Sox — We know the White Sox aren’t picking up the $22 million option, but what is a good deal for the 31-year-old righty? “Because he’s a warrior and a winner, you’d give him respect,” said an NL GM. “I would think a three-year, $36 million-$40 million deal shows him the respect. You’d have to have your doctors do a thorough job because he has a history. He was healthy this year, so does that mean the worst is behind him? Of all the pitchers out there, he’s the warrior. He’s the guy you’d love to have in the middle of your rotation pitching every fifth day.”

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
I'm usually not but that just stuck out for some reason since I'd never seen it before.

The ones I usually see are:

for all intensive purposes (for all intents and purposes)

mute point (moot point)

take for granite (take for granted)

I thought it was for "all intensive purposes" for probably the first 25-28 years of my life. To me, it makes a lot of sense. I don't know how many people thought I was an idiot when I said it.

Lawyers love to say "mute point" as a joke. Well, not really lawyers. Judges think its hilarious for some point.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 10:25 PM)
I wouldn't expect the Sox to add anyone in the rotation, especially if we bring back Peavy or Floyd. It would really shock me given our depth if we tried to make another splash in the rotation.

Not only do I not expect to add anyone from outside of the organization to the starting rotation, I fully expect someone to get traded to try to bring back the Sox next starting 3B.

You do not put up the numbers that Peavy put up this year by only getting out bad hitters.

If you look his numbers this year, pretty much only 2007 stands out as better.

129 ERA+, 1.096 WHIP, 3.37 ERA, 3.96 K/BB. 2.0 BB/9, 5.0 WAR.

Some of those numbers are career bests. His control this year was the best of his career. That WAR was 9th best in all of baseball, and 6th in the AL, for pitchers.

By pretty much every possible definition except wins, Peavy was the definition of a #1 starter this year. It really isn't even close.

Awesome.

So we paid for 2 seasons LOST @ his ridiciulous cost/PER for that.

Don't lose perspective.

Jake Peavy is a roster member that should be traded immediately that he has perceived value...period, end of story.

Edited by Andrew

Awesome.

Don't lose perspective.

Jake Peavy is a roster member that should be traded immediately that he has perceived value...period, end of story.

Peavy can't be traded. He isn't under contract unless the Sox pick up his $22M option, in which case nobody would want to trade for him.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 12:43 AM)
Awesome.

Don't lose perspective.

Perspective: Jake Peavy had an injury that no pitcher in major league baseball has ever had, got surgery that no pitcher in major league baseball has ever had, and came back for what was probably the second best year of his career.

Also see above about "trading" Jake Peavy.